Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Trainer said paleo was dangerous page

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member

Trainer said paleo was dangerous

Primal Fuel
    So I and a small groiup of friends started outdoor group personal training today. He asked us our goals, history ect, and I brought up that I had lost 11kg since January, mostly through changing my diet to paleo guidelines.

He immediately froze and said, ooh well that can be dangerous. I just smiled and said well not for me, I feel better than ever.

Anyway, we did the session, started with a bit of jogging, the beep test, then circuits of weights and sit ups, then some light cardio and cool down stretches. All up it was 30 minutes.

My question is, does this guys method have any bearing whatsoever on my paleo goals? Is this type of training anti-grok?

I dont want to stop just because his diet beliefs don't fit with mine, he is not giving out nutritional advice. But if his training method is I guess too CW, and harmful or useless should I stop?

magnolia1973 is offline Senior Member
    He's probably confusing paleo with VLC. I've read and heard a lot of stories about women, in particular doing a VLC version of paleo on top of hard workouts and ending up with a wrecked metabolism.
    For me, I feel better working out when I have carbs. Paleo allows plenty of carbs. If you are doing bootcamps and crossfit and lifting heavy, fortheloveofgod, you can have some good carbs like bananas and sweet potatoes. I think the people who end up fucked up are the ones that do the hard workouts and avoid carbs like the plague, even good ones. There are definitely a lot of paleo and primal people who are super anti-carb though and don't do anyone any favors when they freak out over athletic/active people eating carbs..

http://maggiesfeast.wordpress.com/
    Check out my blog. Hope to share lots of great recipes and ideas!

Badgerfaced is offline Senior Member
    Yes you are probably right.

I am generally eating very low carb, but plan to eat some good carbs on training days.. just had some roasted sweet potato, potatoes and carrots for dinner after todays session.

Quote Originally Posted by magnolia1973 View Post
    He's probably confusing paleo with VLC. I've read and heard a lot of stories about women, in particular doing a VLC version of paleo on top of hard workouts and ending up with a wrecked metabolism.
    For me, I feel better working out when I have carbs. Paleo allows plenty of carbs. If you are doing bootcamps and crossfit and lifting heavy, fortheloveofgod, you can have some good carbs like bananas and sweet potatoes. I think the people who end up fucked up are the ones that do the hard workouts and avoid carbs like the plague, even good ones. There are definitely a lot of paleo and primal people who are super anti-carb though and don't do anyone any favors when they freak out over athletic/active people eating carbs..

right on.

the first rule of paleo is that we do not talk about paleo. seriously . don't use buzzwords unless you want buzzword responses. idiot terms like "paleo" or "gluten free" or "vegan" or "democrat" or "muslim" or whatever always elicit knee-jerk responses based on whatever some moron read on msn.com that morning. if you want to talk about the way you eat, tell people you only eat whole foods/don't eat processed food and leave it at that.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Ignore him. Continue his class if you want, but he obviously is not well versed in nutrition.

Jacksson is offline Senior Member
    I just tell people I eat live, free range chickens. It takes them a while to work that one out.

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Well, his workout is probably more exercise than training. So if exercise is what you are after, you'll be fine. If training is what you're after, then you'll need to look for something a little different, something with a progression, where each time the work is heavier or harder.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    ^What SB said. This is a great starting place for you. Go with this for a month or so and then move onto a program that intentionally increases the progression as she said. Any program will help an "untrained" person see some weight loss and strength improvements at first. After a while, though, you will stop seeing progress because your body will just adapt to the workload and become more efficient at doing it. And ditto what everyone else said about paleo. Dude doesn't know what he's talking about.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Badgerfaced View Post
    So I and a small groiup of friends started outdoor group personal training today. He asked us our goals, history ect, and I brought up that I had lost 11kg since January, mostly through changing my diet to paleo guidelines.

He immediately froze and said, ooh well that can be dangerous. I just smiled and said well not for me, I feel better than ever.

Anyway, we did the session, started with a bit of jogging, the beep test, then circuits of weights and sit ups, then some light cardio and cool down stretches. All up it was 30 minutes.

My question is, does this guys method have any bearing whatsoever on my paleo goals? Is this type of training anti-grok?

I dont want to stop just because his diet beliefs don't fit with mine, he is not giving out nutritional advice. But if his training method is I guess too CW, and harmful or useless should I stop?
    Ignore the nutritional stuff. Most people, even trainers, have no clue about nutrition. As for the training, any kind of movement is good for you. Especially if it's outdoors. Go by how you feel after training, pay attention to what your body is telling you, and you'll be fine.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

MarielleGO is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Every diet or lifestyle can be dangerous if you over do it… if you take paleo as paleo is meant to be than you eat healthy, clear and fresh foods. nothing wrong with that. If you go and analyze every little detail, pay attention to every carb you eat, every carrot you eat then it becomes an obsession and that's dangerous.

Just don't go VLC for long and make sure your body gets what it needs for your lifestyle, that's all there is to it.
    My story, My thought....

It's all about trying to stay healthy!!!!

Calories? Aren't that those little creatures that live in my closet and shrink my clothes at night?
    AN EARTH WARRIOR!!!!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast