Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is is possible to be in ketosis and *not* lose fat? page

Primal is offline Senior Member

Is is possible to be in ketosis and *not* lose fat?

Primal Fuel
    I've lost 32lbs (240-208) over the past year or so. I have about 30lbs more to lose (208-178). I fell off the wagon for a few weeks, and am now back on, and in ketosis (based upon my carb count (under 50), breath (sweet), and ketostix).

However, I've noticed my weight is not moving as rapidly as it used to when I was eating like this. I've been eating more salty foods - could it be water retention? Also, I'll be ditching my daily 1/4 cup of macadamia nuts to see if this shakes it up.

So, to the question: is it possible to be constantly in ketosis and not losing fat?

Steve1907 is offline Senior Member
    As I'm sure you know, fat loss and weight loss are more than just your macronutrient mix. For fat loss, you need to create a caloric deficit, say 500 cal per day. If you strictly focus on carb intake, you could be consuming too much protein and fat. So to answer your question, I would think that you absolutely can be in ketosis and not lose fat.
    "I am a member of PETA...People Eat Tasty Animals"

Steve - great observation. Thanks for pointing out what's missing in my original post. I should have mentioned that my ratios/menu looks like this:

1. 3 eggs for breakfast
    2. BAS with steak/chicken/avocado/onions
    3. steak/fish/bacon/vegetable of some sort.

(evening snack - 1/4 cup salted macadamia nuts)

I generally use copious amounts of fat (bacon grease, butter, etc.) with those meals above. My macros are generally 65/30/5 or 60/30/10. As far as calories go, I'm generally in the 1500-2000 range. I don't think this is a situation where I'm eating 3500 calories of zero-carb foods or gluconeogenesis...
    Last edited by Primal; 07-06-2010 at 06:17 AM.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    I think it is possible. In my case, I have thyroid issues which have yet to be dealt with, so that's what's going on for me. It doesn't seem to matter how many calories I eat: the weight is ever so slowly increasing, unfortunately. But for you, perhaps it's just a matter of time. How long have you been back on the wagon? Have your activities changed? How are your stress levels? How are your energy levels? Do you take supplements?

Chunster495 is offline Member
    it slows down and you could be at the dreaded plateau. Stick with it and it'll come off, albeit a bit slower. Try throwing in an intermittent fast day here and there to shake things up. Your meal plan sounds fine, although I agree that getting rid of the nuts could help further.

Thanks for the tips everyone. I hope it's just a matter of time before things start kicking downward. Been back on the wagon a couple of weeks now. Activity level is static while foot injuries heal (probably back to the gym this weekend if all heals well). Stress levels are fine and energy level is consistent with being in ketosis. Sleep is likewise good.

I doubt it's a plateau (not there long enough yet). If I'm still in the low 200's a few weeks from now, then that may be right. Chunster, you've read my mind. I'm IF-ing today and ditching the nuts for a few days to see if this kickstarts something. I'm also drinking plenty of water in case it's also a sodium/retention issues. We shall see...

DeadRockstar is offline Junior Member
    Like Steve said it's all about the energy balance. That and a constant defecit in ketosis becomes less useful of a weight loss tool the leaner you get. Mainly because the leaner you are, the faster leptin levels will drop along with a calorie defecit. If you still have 30lbs to lose that won't be an issue for you yet though.

That said, I'd try and be more consistent with your deficit. You said you hit 1500 calories on some days? That's a massive deficit for somebody weighing 208, especially considering how little of it is protein, which becomes more important the leaner you get. I know people with more fat mass have more leeway WRT larger deficits, so I'm hesitant to recommend anything specific when I've only helped people lose fat from a max of 15%bf for men, but it's something to think about anyway.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    I'm the same exact weight and body composition as I have been for 3 years, after having been primal since March. It sucks. Of course, I'm small, but not as 'hard' as I'd like to be. In fact, with primal, I believe I gained a bit of fat. Don't feel bad... just keep at it. I'm not lifting like I was before primal (which I will soon resume) but other than that I'm doing 'everything right.'

And hey-- I've learned this from cycling-- a plateau is always better than an uphill and there is always a nice ride 'down' once you ride it out

(OK, so nutrition isn't the same as geography... but I thought it was cute!)

-写

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by ikaika View Post
    I'm the same exact weight and body composition as I have been for 3 years, after having been primal since March. It sucks. Of course, I'm small, but not as 'hard' as I'd like to be. In fact, with primal, I believe I gained a bit of fat. Don't feel bad... just keep at it. I'm not lifting like I was before primal (which I will soon resume) but other than that I'm doing 'everything right.'

And hey-- I've learned this from cycling-- a plateau is always better than an uphill and there is always a nice ride 'down' once you ride it out

(OK, so nutrition isn't the same as geography... but I thought it was cute!)

-写
    Is that a saiyan space pod?!
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Uh, hell yes!

Hahaha!

My screen name was almost "Little Saiyan" and i've contemplated changing it many times. So I'm hereby known as Little Saiyan, arright?!

-写

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast