Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Carbs and Sleep page

eig
    eig is offline Senior Member

Carbs and Sleep

Shop Now
    Not sure if anyone can have a real answer to this- just hoping for some thoughts. I recently changed my diet to include as much fruits and potatoes/rice as I want. I'm trying to put on some muscle. So far I have noticed mostly awesome changes, I look better, recover better etc. but I'm sleeping like crap almost every night. I'm eating more in general too- I added the carbs and try now to go light on the cooking oil but otherwise same amount of veggies/meat. I thought carbs were supposed to make you sleep better? Has anyone else had this happen to them?
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

My story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/i-now...#axzz2MzPtxo00

Elliot is offline Senior Member
    I have generally heard of carbohydrates improving sleep quality, which is consistent with my own experience.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Carbs generally make me sleepy as well.

Could you be eating too much, too close to bedtime?
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

picklepete is offline Senior Member
    "Carbs improve sleep" may refer to folks who react poorly to low liver glycogen which is not everyone.

Has your timing changed? Every meal has multiple effects--for example a large one is a powerful soothing ritual for the nervous system but also multiplies gut bugs which affects immune behavior. In some cases overeating raises body temperature to vent the excess, and most folks sleep better at cooler temperature. You may need time to adjust to the new fuel mix, otherwise focus on basic circadian stuff--midday sun, blindfold, etc.
    35//6'3"/180

My peculiar nutrition glossary and shopping list

eig
    I do eat about an hour before I go to bed- but I've always eaten dinner at this time. Should I try eating earlier then? I eat more often in general now. I've been trying not to skip meals because I want to put on weight- like I said. Before I would usually eat brunch, small snack at around 5-6, eat dinner at 9ish. Now I eat breakfast 9-10, lunch 1, snack at 5-6, and dinner at around 9ish.
    "...You sort of start thinking anything's possible if you've got enough nerve.” -Ginny

Urban Forager is offline Senior Member
    Carbs did not help me sleep.
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    Did you make other changes to your life that may affect your sleep? For example, are you exposed to more light at night, or less light during the day? It's not all about food.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

eig
    No, I didn't make other changes. The only change I made was to my diet, thats why I thought it might be eating more carbs even though most others seem to say it makes them sleep better. That or just eating more in general. I am outside a lot- a couple hours in the sun at least, I use f.lux and I have not changed the way I use my computer- I do use it in the evening but its the same as always. I'm thinking about cutting that down now though, even though its not different from before I need to get some sleep.

At first I thought it might be cause theres more sun right now- its dark at about 10 here, so I blacked out the room. I put foil on the window- its completely black. No other lights in the room- not even a clock. Still not sleeping well. I just toss and turn all night and wake up at 2-3am (about four hours after I've gone to bed) then am unable to sleep for 1-3hrs. When I do get to sleep again I usually sleep better than earlier in the night.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Are you experiencing any other symptoms of depression, or is this the only one?

What time of day are you exercising?
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

eig
    I exercise mid afternoon. Sometimes I go out again in the late evening (7pm) for a walk or a swim with my fiancé when he gets home from work. On his days of we usually spend the entire day walking or hiking in the forest or a park. I don't feel depressed.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast