Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chronic Cardio - am I walking too much? page

liztai is offline Junior Member

Chronic Cardio - am I walking too much?

Hi there,
    Lately I've been falling sick a lot. Like once in two to three months. Two years ago I would fall sick, what, once a year? The only thing I could think that is different is my job. I became a nursing assistant 1.5 years ago and that's when my troubles started. I work at a facility where the work is very demanding. I lift, walk and push up to 8 hours a day.

I once wore a pedometer and it said that I walked about 6 miles a day. And since I work 5 days a week, that's about 30 miles a week.

Just wondering if that's the reason why my immunity's shot? I have to confess that I've fallen off the Primal bandwagon in a big way too, though I try to stick to Paleo 50% of the time

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Walking is not your problem. Dealing with sick people is (I would guess) and you are not eating optimally.

edennperez1 is offline Senior Member
    How's your sleep? The walking you do it about the average amount a New Yorker does, so I wouldn't worry about that. It's a good amount and it's good for you. Nourish your body with good food and get optimal amounts of sleep!

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

liztai is offline Junior Member
    Hi edenperez1
    Admittedly not very good. My sleep that is. I don't generally sleep very well unfortunately.

FrenchFry i guess it doesn't help that I am exposed to pathogens all day. I was wondering, besides following primal to the t is there any kind of food or supplement I should take to improve my immune system?

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Chronic cardio is if you're jogging like 20 miles a day. Walking 6 miles a day is quite the opposite of that.
    What to do: Eat real food, enjoy your food, get out into the sun as often as possible, move around, sleep well and early (like before 11 p.m.), have health as your main goal.

You are probably going to fail if you: Restrict carbs or fat or calories, avoid fruit (because sugar derp), punish yourself with diet/exercise, have weight loss as your only goal,....

Rosencrantz1 is online now Senior Member
    Obvious things first (as others have said): 1) sleep 2) diet 3) stress 4) exposure to illness @ work

The walking is, in all likelihood, helping you.
    “If you want to build a ship, don't drum up people together to collect wood and don't assign them tasks and work, but rather teach them to long for the endless immensity of the sea” -- Antoine de Saint-Exupery

marcadav is online now Senior Member
    How's your vitamin D level?

noodletoy is offline Senior Member
    agree about the walking. it's the only thing good you have going on right now.
    As I ate the oysters with their strong taste of the sea and their faint metallic taste that the cold white wine washed away, leaving only the sea taste and the succulent texture, and as I drank their cold liquid from each shell and washed it down with the crisp taste of the wine, I lost the empty feeling and began to be happy and to make plans.

– Ernest Hemingway

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    Best way to not get sick is to stay out of hospitals and doctors offices. And schools with children.
    Female, 5'3", 49, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 180lbs, press 72.5lbs and deadlift 185lbs

MrSteel is offline Junior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I work in Healthcare and get mandated flu shots, immunization boosters etc. each year, and can relate to the "sickness all around you" while at work. I don't think the walking is hurting you, rather your environment.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast