Thread: Need guidance as to which snacks are best for nighttime! page

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member

Need guidance as to which snacks are best for nighttime!

I'm often a nighttime snacker, probably because I work nightshift three nights a week and my eating schedule is generally different from "the norm". I'm just wondering which snacks I should be having - I'm afraid that if I snack on the wrong type of food, it will just set me up for weight gain and feeling less than optimal the next day. I need all the energy and strength I can get!

Is it better to go more for the proteins, fats, or veggies? Any drawbacks to consuming dairy before bed? (Im not allergic and I've never really noticed it messing with my GI tract.)

(Apologies if this question is somewhat redundant, I searched the forum for a thread and only found ones on snacks in general.)

Thanks in advance.

cerebelumsdayoff is offline Senior Member
    For starters, there is no real reason t fear eating at night. Your body will digest food the same way regardless of time. The association between time and weight gain is another product of CW; a mere correlation really. Why do sme people gain weight from night snacking? Two main reasons.

1. They eat crap at night (ice cream, chips, etc). But why are they hungry in the first place?
    2. They eat crap during the day. All the cereal, bread, and sugar screws up tye metabolism and digestion while booming ajd busting insulin levels causing hunger spikes.

The lesson: eating at night leads to weight gain if you are eating more than you need in combination of what you ate during the day. If yiu don't spike your insulin with crap food, you will not be as hungry. If yiu are genuinely hungry, regardless of time, eat primal food until you are satisfied. Eating at night does not cause weight gain, it just does not maoe evolutionary sense.
    --
    Here it is, your moment of zen.

It's a no brainer: The journal of the cerebelum

DeadRockstar is offline Junior Member
    Agreed with everything cerebelum wrote. I'll just add that for somebody weight training and/or IFing that getting a slow digesting protein as part of the last meal is a good idea.

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member
    I don't know that I'd eat saturated fats before bed-time, because I think I'd just go to bed and feel like running laps and not get any sleep. Saturated fats will give you an energy boost, unsaturated, not so much. Veggies would probably make a good late snack, or possibly macadamia nuts. I'd avoid other nuts, as many are difficult to digest. Or snack on an avocado mashed up w/ some lemon juice & pepper. Just a few ideas.

tradawg is offline Senior Member
    Casein protein and some fat is a great bedtime snack...cottage cheese and almond butter is my go-to. Very slow digesting.

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    I am following the Leptin Diet (number one rule is not eating after dinner/before bed) meal timing strategy with paleo food choices. I eat at 7 am, noon, and 6 pm with no snacking in between - sometimes I skip breakfast. This allows for numerous hours for my body to rely on fat stores and I am leaning out like a mad man - another week or so and I should have a decent set of abs...after years of failed effort. I also feel much better in the morning not eating after six o'clock dinner.

TheGrappler is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by cerebelumsdayoff View Post
    For starters, there is no real reason t fear eating at night. Your body will digest food the same way regardless of time. The association between time and weight gain is another product of CW; a mere correlation really. Why do sme people gain weight from night snacking? Two main reasons.

1. They eat crap at night (ice cream, chips, etc). But why are they hungry in the first place?
    2. They eat crap during the day. All the cereal, bread, and sugar screws up tye metabolism and digestion while booming ajd busting insulin levels causing hunger spikes.

The lesson: eating at night leads to weight gain if you are eating more than you need in combination of what you ate during the day. If yiu don't spike your insulin with crap food, you will not be as hungry. If yiu are genuinely hungry, regardless of time, eat primal food until you are satisfied. Eating at night does not cause weight gain, it just does not maoe evolutionary sense.
    Awesome.
    "I know what my body needs and what it can handle. There's no better way to achieve my goal than what im doing now. If my regimen leads to my death, be it in six days or six months...I will die fullfiled. The outcome is irrelavent so long as i steer towards my fate. If death is to be my prize, i welcome it with open arms."

"A pound of meat a day keeps the doctor away"

Grol is offline Senior Member
    Smoked salmon, sardines, homemade beef jerky, cold meatza, cucumber, celery, zucchini, guacamole, a crunchy salad, nuts, berries, coconut chips, unsweetened dehydrated fruit, poor some coconut milk over the last four and call it cereal.

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    i second the casein at night...guess it only applies if you eat dairy. cottage cheese doesnt agree with my like full fat FAGE so i do it with mac nuts or almonds & shredded coconut! maybe a few raspberries!