Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Advice: Sudden change to paleo diet for older person page

Titanium is offline Junior Member

Advice: Sudden change to paleo diet for older person

Primal Fuel
    Would be very grateful for advice.

We are having inlaws coming to stay for 3 weeks. Our family is strictly primal. Our inlaws are in their late 60s, don't have any serious health issues and have the typical diet. I have no problem doing non paleo food for guests but the inlaws are willing to go paleo while they're here.

Is there any risk to their health if they suddenly switch to the paleo diet while staying with us?

Since they're generally healthy already I don't think there should be any issues. I'm not sure what kind of paleo you're doing, is it extremely low-carb? The only potential issue I can see is macro ratios, e.g. if they're used to eating 150+ grams of carbs a day from bread and suddenly they arrive at your house where everyone is keto on 50g or less, that could cause problems. I doubt your diet is that extreme but if that's the case, just give them plenty of potatoes and sweet potatoes. Otherwise I don't see any danger in their going paleo, although with any drastic diet change there's the risk of some...atypical...bowel movements while the body adjusts.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    They might drop a few pounds and feel better. You might hear some unexpected noises from them at night (you can take that any way you choose LOL).

"older person" thing really is that the best description you can muster?

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Hmmm maybe you should post what kind of "paleo" you are following, because I can definitely see how this could go wrong with some of the mistakes newbies tend to make.

We do cook with butter and occasionally (1 or 2 x per week) eat cheese/cream. We have sweet potato once a week. Maybe once every two or three weeks, we might eat a piece of bread. Other than that, we are paleo. Not sure what else I can tell you?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Titanium View Post
    We do cook with butter and occasionally (1 or 2 x per week) eat cheese/cream. We have sweet potato once a week. Maybe once every two or three weeks, we might eat a piece of bread. Other than that, we are paleo. Not sure what else I can tell you?
    If your diet is much lower in carbs than theirs, they might feel a little off. Adding white rice and potatoes for them (just in case they are used to high carb) would probably be fine. If they eat wheat everyday, they might experience some withdrawal symptoms (not uncommon phenomenon).

Actually, issues may appear AFTER their stay at your place. Being wheat free for 3 weeks and re-eating it is usually coming with unpleasant side-effects.

Artbuc is offline Senior Member
    Why don't you just feed them the food they normally eat and enjoy?

Thanks for the advice.

Will up the carbs, toast, rice, potatoes, etc, as am a bit nervous (hence the post) about having them go strictly paleo with us though they were very willing.

gdot is online now Senior Member
    Thanks for the advice.

Will up the carbs, toast, rice, potatoes, etc, as am a bit nervous (hence the post) about having them go strictly paleo with us though they were very willing.
    Sounds to me like they are actually interested in experiencing your way of eating. I'd put a very discrete amount of bread in the freezer in case they end up wanting it. Otherwise just go full on paleo with rice and potatoes etc. etc..

They might just end up ditching wheat if you can give them great substitutes, and that would be very cool.
    What have you done today to make you feel Proud?

Nillos is online now Senior Member
    Oh well people tend to start out with very low carb and eat way too many nuts and other pointless "paleo" high fat food stuffs. Feeding that to non-paleo people who are used to 300g+ of carbs is a recipe for disaster.

Besides I'm not saying you should have bread in the house (and definitely skip the toast _), but make sure to serve some sort of more appropriate carbs like potatoes/rice and have plenty of fruit in the house.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast