Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: A Noble Pursuit page

noble23 is offline Senior Member

A Noble Pursuit

Shop Now
    Hello, after many long months I am joining these forums and making a journal.

I am 23 years old and have just graduated with my B.A. in French. Currently lost and confused but not minding it terribly. I will likely get my teaching certificate in Sept 2015, perhaps move to Montreal the summer before and who knows maybe go teach in South Korea instead of all that. Or maybe do a diploma in HR management. Like I said I don't know....

I have always been athletic. Growing up I was usually picked first in gym class, was the captain of my minor league ice hockey team for many years (Canadian, eh?) and was known to hit a few home runs in my softball days. I dropped my 20 pounds in my grade 12 year using tips from Oprah hahahaha and I joined a female rugby team which practiced 2x week on top of everything else I did and I looked good. Probably my best. Then I got a boyfriend and went to University. I slowly put the weight back on (that old story).

Last year I taught in France. I thought, wouldn't it be great if I lost 20 - 30 pounds and came home looking smokin? I had time to do research only working part time so I found primal and read through the archives avidly. I adopted lots of new eating habits but I didn't really lose much. Maybe 5 lbs? I think it was due to the lack of exercise beyond walking and probably high calories. I continued doing primal as I returned home to finish my last year of my undergrad. I moved home due to finances and no else ate the way I did so despite my efforts I would backslide fairly consistently. I would imagine I was eating 70% primal.

Now I am in my own place and eating generally two big meals, lots of vegetables and I have adopted a fairly active lifestyle. Fun Softball, Beach Volleyball and a weight lifting class. I am on my feet for 7 hours a day at my work.

I am seeing results now after about year of primal eating and I want to celebrate with others who appreciate this lifestyle and won't judge me for the amount of fat and meat I eat (not to mention the lack of gluten etc).

I do eat dairy and rice. It works for me for now.

Please say hello if you read this if you like. I have been following this forum for so long most you are familiar to me now haha (try to read that without it sounding weird).

Looking forward to being more actively pursuing my health and wellness!

funderful is offline Member
    Welcome! Being in your own place always makes things 100x easier. Looking forward to reading more. Good luck on your journey!

justpeachy is offline Member
    Hi Noble -

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean about being familiar with folks on the forum. I've been a long time lurker and continue to read up on people's journals even when I'm off-roading thru SAD land.

paparazzi is offline Member
    Hello and welcome to the family!

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo
    H/5'3
    Start W/240
    21 day challenge began 6/17/14
    Weight after first 21days-235.7
    Sept. 2, 2014-
    13.2+a few inches lost

Quote Originally Posted by justpeachy View Post
    Hi Noble -

Welcome! I know exactly what you mean about being familiar with folks on the forum. I've been a long time lurker and continue to read up on people's journals even when I'm off-roading thru SAD land.
    Thanks! Your comment made me chuckle

Quote Originally Posted by funderful View Post
    Welcome! Being in your own place always makes things 100x easier. Looking forward to reading more. Good luck on your journey!
    Thank you! I agree, its much easier when your not coming home to surprise tubs of ice cream and pizza ! Ack!

Quote Originally Posted by paparazzi View Post
    Hello and welcome to the family!
    Thank you!!

A few fun facts about me:

I'm 5'6
    My measurements are: 40' bust, 31' just above belly button, 35' waist, and 41' hips.

I learned to deadlift yesterday and feel pretty great about that!

Just came home from hiking, even took my shoes off for a bit and it was awesome!

Health benefits I have gained over the course of this year:

- Reversed my PCOS symptoms (I'm not entirely sure if those symptoms weren't largely caused or influenced by coming off the Pill)
    - No more acne!! I never had acne through high school and I came off the pill and started eating primal and over the next few months I developed bad acne that never seemed to go away. I also stopped eating eggs from soy fed chickens and it gradually disappeared!
    - Even moods and I am never hangry anymore
    - My eyelashes and nails are growing wonderfully

Something that was very important and scary for me was that I improved my dental health. I didn't get a single cavity until I was 18. Nothing the next year then I moved out and was living with a boyfriend and my before bed routine was changed and I stopped consistently brushing my teeth at night. That year I got TEN cavities!!! I was going to the dentist for half a year for that!!!! I had done so well with my teeth my whole life that I honestly felt ashamed and pretty down on myself over this. My diet had remained relatively stable but suddenly my teeth were decaying like crazy! Something was wrong and I didn't know what it was and wasn't until I discovered primal eating that I knew the impact of the foods I was eating (sugar, sugar, sugar). My last check up I didn't have a single cavity! Hurrah!

Anyways thanks for reading and I'm enjoying putting into words finally the thoughts that build up about how good a change eating primal is!
    Last edited by noble23; 07-10-2014 at 08:26 PM.

onthepath is offline Member
    ...and you are blessed to have discovered these truths at such a young age with your whole life ahead of you.

Good luck in your journey.

Make the most of it....eh.

Quote Originally Posted by onthepath View Post
    ...and you are blessed to have discovered these truths at such a young age with your whole life ahead of you.

Good luck in your journey.

Make the most of it....eh.

heehee thanks! I feel pretty lucky to have discovered this relatively young. I am like most people with most of my family is overweight, obese and diabetic so I always sort of felt doomed to that. Its nice to see that there is another way to live, towards greater health instead of ill health.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    The past few days have been the same old with my eating but a few things came up.

I work at a cafe with TONS of baked goods and sweets ! We offer loads of GF items but they all have bad oils and sugar in them My breaks are always difficult. What do I eat? Sometimes I bring something but half the time I don't bother. For awhile I would eat a big meal at 11:00 then go to work for 11:30 and eat a nut bar with coffee and cream around 2:30 and then eat a big meal with I got home at 7. This weekend I double checked that the nut bar is only sweetened with honey as I was told. It is not. There is brown sugar in it. Ugh. Now I will have to stop eating that. I also have an option of eating a GF nut cluster which is chocolate and mixed nuts only. It freaking delicious but I am scared that it has practically 1000 calories Maybe 800 if I am lucky. I have indulge more than I'd like to admit

Yesterday for breakfast I ate a couple small bites of cheese and a spoonful of coconut oil then I didn't eat lunch until about 2:30. I was fine. These moments are so cool. I would read about people doing stuff like this and I couldn't imagine not being hungry but this seriously happened to me.

My body composition changes a little each day. Some days I can feel my hip bones a bit more. Some days it feels like my collar bones are jutting out a little more. Some days my face looks a little more defined. I enjoy the changes but I am still learning to not be a little scared by it. I've always remained relatively stable in my weight. Solid, muscled, perhaps a little squishy. I've never really seen myself thinner so it's alarming to think of where I might end up after a few more months of this. I just have to remind myself I am heading towards health. And not towards thinness for the sake of it. I WILL be healthier for being primal and a better me versus pursuing weight loss and thinness which would make me fight my own body and probably learn to hate it as it failed to allow me fulfill societal standards.

I'm headed on a road trip for the weekend. It's going to be great. I know how to relax and not to stress over the fewer primal options. I will do my best and get right back to my own eating habits after!

Page 1 of 17 12311 ... LastLast