Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: "Atkins Attitude" page

Ngwenya is offline Junior Member

"Atkins Attitude"

Primal Fuel
    Has anyone ever experienced low mood - akin to depression - when switching to primal/low carb? I have come across this "well-known" side-effect of limiting carbs, but it seems to me it's one researcher's creation and may not be real at all.

Warmbear is offline Senior Member
    Yeah at first it was one I had to deal with but then I suffer from depression in many forms and ways. Once your body becomes more fat adapted it should level out. Once you have been at this a while you become healthier and things just feel better but since they want you to think that low carb is always going to be like this, the anti paleo crowd just claims this as a huge problem.
    Primal since April 2012 Male 6' 3" SW 345lbs CW 240lbs GW 220lbs and when I get there I am getting a utlikilt. This one http://www.utilikilts.com/company/pr...ilts/workmans/ actually.

Join me at www.paleoplanet.net, where all the cavemen hang out.

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    Realistically, you don't have to go through a very low carb phase when switching over. So you can skip that to start, and maybe forever. However, your body will adapt if you stick it out.

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    Nope....for those who do its just the removal of an addiction leading to such feelings.

Abyss is online now Senior Member
    For me, it was the opposite. I was prone to depression and low mood when eating carbage. I have not had any depressive episodes since I cut those out and went generally low carb.

I have noticed a bit of low mood after the rare occasion when I give in to social pressure and consume bad sweets, but that could just be a general malaise from the processed carb overload.

Ron_Swanson is offline Senior Member
    Also, getting the "keto flu" while your body is adapting to the use of ketones can causes issues like this. It will take some time and make sure you are refeeding.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $7.99.

I also offer coaching: http://fixyourgut.com/fixyourgut-coaching/.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

sallyjackman is offline Banned
    I can't even understand...what kinda is?

thingcangoth is offline Junior Member
    yes, I have not had any depressive episodes since I cut those out and went generally low carb.thanks

Weezer is offline Member
    I actually had the opposite reaction as well. Just before I started living a primal lifestyle I was in a very low place emotionally. The past few years I have felt normal. No, better than normal. I recognized how much better I felt physically but never realized how much it effected my emotional health until a recent vacation. I was away for a week with friends. I tried to eat as primal as I could but I didn't want to inconvenience the others so I just went with the flow. It's vacation right?? I can just take a few days without worry right? Well I don't know if it was the desserts they made or the wine we drank but after a week I came home and hit a wall. For days I laid in the bed with feelings I haven't had in years. I couldn't convince myself to even go for a walk much less go to the gym, all things I usually love to do. I was consumed with dark thoughts. I am slowly coming around since I have been home and back to eating right.
    I realize that I should not make assumptions about anything. It could be coincidence. Perhaps they are unrelated, but my gut says otherwise.

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Owen is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I transitioned with roots and fruits because I could just not do the low carb thing at the beginning. After two years I'm able to mainly eat meat and veg but I still use carbs occasionally - just not from grains or sugar.

However the low carb flu was no way as bad as the mood disaster that was the high sugar/processed food diet.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast