Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Pickles aren't Primal -Day 9 page

PaleoGrub is offline Junior Member

Cool Pickles aren't Primal -Day 9

So, yesterday I went to a movie (first in a long time), after driving a long way to get to the theater (long pointless story). I walked into the theater and had huge craving triggers from the popcorn smell. It was my first real concern since I started...I've always gotten a large popcorn and a large diet coke at movies. As an alternative, I saw that they had dill pickles and unsweetened tea. So I had that. It was a very poor idea, I had a blood pressure spike this morning, weight gain, just really not feeling well at all (very little sleep after the return drive).

So my question is (I'm a little scrupulous). When you do things like eating a pickle, does it reset a 21 day challenge? I just want to do it right.

I've had great physiological effects in only 9 days: lower blood pressure, lower glucose, weight loss, increased energy and motivation to care about things like cleaning.
    Thanks!
    PG
    Primal Day 9, Female, over 40

paint94979 is offline Senior Member
    What's wrong with a pickle? Now movie theatre pickles arent as good for you as say Bubbies but I would HIGHLY doubt that pickle gave you any symptoms like the ones you experienced.

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    Pickles are fine

gdot is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by PaleoGrub View Post
    So, yesterday I went to a movie (first in a long time), after driving a long way to get to the theater (long pointless story). I walked into the theater and had huge craving triggers from the popcorn smell. It was my first real concern since I started...I've always gotten a large popcorn and a large diet coke at movies. As an alternative, I saw that they had dill pickles and unsweetened tea. So I had that. It was a very poor idea, I had a blood pressure spike this morning, weight gain, just really not feeling well at all (very little sleep after the return drive).

So my question is (I'm a little scrupulous). When you do things like eating a pickle, does it reset a 21 day challenge? I just want to do it right.

I've had great physiological effects in only 9 days: lower blood pressure, lower glucose, weight loss, increased energy and motivation to care about things like cleaning.
    Thanks!
    PG
    Primal Day 9, Female, over 40
    Nothing wrong with pickles in general.

Are you salt sensitive? They are very high in sodium (which is only a problem if you are salt sensitive. In general most folks on a primal diet need to watch out to get enough salt.)

Also could have been something in the tea.

In any case - you do not need to 'reset' back to day one. Just keep on keeping on.

And perhaps learn to travel with a couple of boiled eggs or such while you are relearning how to eat. Better to be prepared than not.

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Nothing wrong with pickles or ice tea. Also, don't think of the Primal lifestyle as a "challenge" or as anything relating to dietary purity. It's a dangerous road to go down, especially if you're scrupulous about other things. That's how eating disorders start.

eats.meats.west is online now Senior Member
    You ate a pickle and the next day you gained weight? Doesn't work that way.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Thanks for the reply. I looked online and it seemed like pickles have a lot of negatives unless naturally fermented. This was one of those huge football stadium pickles. I've got high blood pressure which has been greatly reduced already since going primal and cutting out some really atrocious food choices.

I tracked all calories, everything else was like any other day. Logic dictated water retention due to excessive sodium. Other thoughts? The big problem was the huge spike in BP. I know weight fluctuates.

Alfi56 is offline Senior Member
    You probably gained water weight from the salt intake. It should go away in a couple days.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sorry, I was referring to the Primal Blueprint 21 Day Challenge...it's a book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast