Thread: Primal in Grand Cayman page

Evianh2o is offline Junior Member

Primal in Grand Cayman

Primal Fuel
    Hi All,

I only discovered MDA 6 days ago. 5 days ago, I cleared out my pantry and fridge/freezer of anything wheat-, sugar-, soy-, lentil- or legume-based ... and my cupboard was bare lol
    I replaced all with PL friendly foods and started my new lifestyle same day.

Can I just say ..."Whooooaaa, Energy!!! Where have you been all my life!!! I am in LOVE with you!!!

The difference is clear! Usually, I would do a yoga class as my sole activity for any given day ... granted, it was often a Vinyasa flow class, so we worked up a sweat whilst getting a good stretch. However, the past few days, I've felt compelled to move ... so, each day, I have yoga-ed and swam and gone for long 1hr walks with friends ...whoo hoo!!!
    And I slept like a baby last night and woke up tingling, refreshed and energized this morning ... a very alien but welcome feeling

Some back-story: I'm 41, 5ft 3", of British of African descent and I'm a voluptuous (in the loosest sense of the word lol) 179lbs, with curves where no curves have a right to be. Being of African (Nigerian) descent also means that my much beloved ethnic foods mostly all fly in the face of what is good and prescribed by PL
    But, no matter ... this morning, I got on the scales to find that I am already 4.8lbs lighter *happy dance* ... can't argue with that!!

I've been doing tons of reading since I found MDA. Devouring information as voraciously as I used to pack away the DQ ice-cream cake Love, love, love the success stories ... cheekily, I already have mine semi-drafted lol This is how good and confident I feel about my new, successful and sustainable way of living.

Today, I felt compelled to take my 'BEFORE' photos. A very humbling, but liberating, experience if ever there was one. I look totally horrid, but I have a smile on my face ... there's new awareness that this fluffy body is a thing of the past. My masterpiece is a work in progress and I cannot wait to meet the final version of my perfection ... yes, I sometimes like to wax lyrical too lol

Anyhoo, I'm really looking forward to this journey and to getting to know you all!

The Questions:

Your location: Grand Cayman

Age (If you want): 41

How Primal are you: As of July 3rd ... 100%

Do you consume dairy: Absolutely!

Do you drink coffee or tea: Yes to both.

Motivator for switching to Primal: Energy increase, stabilized BP, weight loss, more play ... and I want to look good naked

Favorite exercise(s): Yoga, swimming and walking

Favorite Primal food: Butter

Best part about being Primal: Energy increase, stabilizing BP, weight loss, more play ... and I'm on my way to looking good naked

Worst part about being Primal: Can't think of one yet !

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

ProjectT is online now Junior Member
    Congrats! I don't really post here...but wanted to say I loved your intro and think you'll have great success!

Ta much, ProjectT

Mrazor64 is offline Junior Member
    Welcome aboard Evianh2o! Loved your intro so I had to respond. I'm fairly new myself and this is my first time on any of the forums. To answer your questions:

How Primal: I would say about 80-90%. I could be more strict with watching what is in the condiments and seasonings I use, and occasional cheese.

Consume Dairy: As noted above, I lurvs me some cheese. I have otherwise been pretty restrictive on the diary issue.

Coffee or Tea: Gotta have my coffee! I drink tea as well.

Motivator for switching to Primal: I was sick and tired of being sick and tired. I love being out by the pool or on the beach, but was always embarrassed to take my shirt off because of how overweight I had let myself become. I was also tired of all the fad diets that worked in the short term, but were unrealistic to maintain long term.

Favorite Exercise(s): Weight lifting, Cycling, Tabata Sprints, Scuba Diving, (trying to) Surf (when I get the chance), Golf, Running (occasionally)

Favorite Primal Food: MEAT (pretty much any kind). I am definitely a carnivore at heart!

Best part about being Primal: I truly do love the food that I get to eat, the success that I am already having in loss of body fat and improvement in my health and wellbeing, and that I can see this as being easily maintained from this point forward.

Worst part about being Primal: The biggest is that my wife is a bakery and pastry Chef, so the temptations can be a pain at times. The next is being the only one in my family that is Primal. My wife is vegetarian (due to textural and taste issues, not moral or ethical issues), and my teenagers are not willing to give up grains and sugar (I'm working on them slowly, and sneakily ).

So there you have me in a nutshell. It's nice to meet you Evianh2o and from the intro you wrote, I'm sure you will have great success in your Primal journey. Oh, and I know what you mean about the humbling, yet liberating feeling of taking those before pics! I felt the same way when I took mine (bleh!!). I hope to see more of you in the Forums!
    Last edited by Mrazor64; Yesterday at 07:04 AM.

Hi Mrazor64

Thanks for your response and I love your intro above too. The thing I'm reveling in with this community is the overwhelming feeling of positivity, encouragement, HOPE and achievement!!!

With regards food, I've never been one of those women who could go weeks without protein. I LOVE red meat and I'll take it over fish or chicken any day. I LOVE eggs!! To be fair ... I pretty much LOVE good food lol
    So, as you can imagine, I'm in hog-heaven with this new primal lifestyle

OMG! Your wife being a bakery/pastry chef!! In my pre-primal days, I would have fought you for her hand lol
    Pastry was my weakness!! Pies, croissants, turnovers ... if there was pastry involved, it was alright by me. And I rarely met a bakery I didn't like.

I guess that's what I find so empowering about being Primal. A week in, and I still haven't had a craving for a single one of those things that I previously thought I couldn't live without! The future is bright!! The future is Primal!

Also, thank you for reminding me about scuba diving lol I'll have to go dust off my fins and googles and get back in the water.

I look forward to seeing you on the forums too. Have a fab day!

Mrazor64 is offline Junior Member
    Evianh2o,

Yes, it is amazing and completely refreshing to be around such a positive and supportive group of people! I firmly believe it is one of the reasons there is such success with this lifestyle.

As far as food goes, I'm pretty much the same. I'll pretty much eat anything. I've always said that I'll eat anything slower than I am! Unfortunately that's what got me in this shape. But, it's also what makes me so excited about this meal plan. There are sooo many things for me to eat, and so many great Paleo/Primal recipes out there, and with a Chef in the house, Yay Me!!!

My weakness however has always been pasta. I could eat pasta at just about any and every meal. Don't get me wrong, I do love good pastries and pies, but pasta is what always got me. Oh, by the way, those cravings, they will sneak back in every now and then. I was great for about 2 weeks, then one night, BAM! I was craving starchy carbs (especially salty carbs) big time. I contacted one of my Paleo/Primal mentors and she told me it was probably my body craving fat. She told me to eat a spoonful of coconut oil, or coconut butter (I know, sounds kinda gross). It knocked out the craving and kept it down. But, even if you do indulge, the important thing to do is not get down about it, make it just one meal (not a whole day event) and get right back on course. Even the strictest people give themselves some leeway. I had a scheduled treat night last weekend (notice I said treat, not cheat? No negative connotations). We were out of town and went to my favorite pizza place and I had 3 huge pieces of a loaded meat lovers pizza and 2 ice cold beers. They were awesome and I enjoyed the hell out of them! I felt a little bloated the next day, but went right back to the program.

Scuba is a great Primal workout, you're moving slowly over distance, and it has always revved my metabolism. I lurvs blowin some bubbles!!

Two things that have really helped me; a great book "It Starts With Food" by Dallas and Melissa Hartwig. They are Paleo gurus (they tend to be a little more strict with the diet) and this book really breaks down in easy to understand terms what the wrong types of foods do to our systems. They also go into all the things you can do to turn that around. It has really opened my eyes, and understand why what I'm doing is helping me so much. Very easy read as well. The other thing is that I am taking some really amazing, high quality nutritional supplements that were custom design specifically for me. They are essentially helping me to heal at the cellular level. High quality supplements are essential, because no matter how clean we eat, due to the leaching of nutrients and degradation of the soils, it isn't possible anymore to get the nutrients we need just from our food.

Anyway, sorry if I droned on. Look forward to talking to you in the future. Hope you have an amazing day!