Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal Journal (Strom)- Dealing with Chrohns, depression and keeping kosher page

strom is offline Senior Member

Primal Journal (Strom)- Dealing with Chrohns, depression and keeping kosher

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I've been phasing in to a primal style of eating for about 2-3 months now. I'm about 12-15 lb lighter at 70% or slightly more primal level, and I haven't been working out that much in the last few months. I'm currently learning how to to cook, and have made a ton of process in that area.

I still have, Chrohns, depression, scoliosis (I've got 2" of spine that is crooked making me shorter than I should be and harder to bend over without pain), OCD, ADHD and probably more. I can't think of them all, but those are the major ones that affect me the most, in no specific order. I never thought I would be able to cure Chrohns, but now I'm not sure. Perhaps there is a cure for my scoliosis and depression!?! I also get a pain in my trap upper back muscles, when I walk some distance, a cramp I assume. At school, I thought it was due to the weight of my clothes, but its been bothering me when I don't where a shirt too.

Weight wise my current goal is to get to 140 or slightly less. I'm at 160 at 5' 4" now and the weight loss is slow, since my weight fluctuates a lot due to different foods, and weather. I believe this is due to water retention and constipation. I have had a lot less cramping and bloating while eating almost no grains, except rice every couple of weeks. I eat a lot less milk products too (greek yogurt, heavy cream and butter occasionally) too, and my added powder protein is egg protein. I fear that I may have an allergy to dairy, I did used to have problems when I was very young handling milk.

I went for my first sprint and walk around the neighborhood today in my new VFF KSOs. It was 100*F or more and very oddly I didn't sweat that much. I usually sweat a ton with just a little exertion, which I always thought was due to Crohns. I also have gotten heat rashes from 80*F before, although I think its a bit too soon to tell with today's sprint. Stopping in a sprint to switch directions is kind of tricky, since you tend to have decelerate a lot.

I'm reading the Warrior diet, which is another diet that makes sense so far. However I don't like the one meal a day idea. I had a egg protein smoothie (Jay Robb's Chocolate), with heavy cream, some coconut milk, water, ice, blueberries, and a few raspberries. It tasted like ice cream a bit, due to the heavy cream. Although heavy cream tends to make me sleep, so I slept a lot today. My next books that I want to read are The Way of the Superior Man andStumbling upon Happiness.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    One of the best books of the many I've read recently that might be of interest to you, though not strictly Primal, is "The UltraMind Solution: The Simple Way to Defeat Depression, Overcome Anxiety, and Sharpen Your Mind" by Mark Hyman M.D. (Paperback - Jun 8, 2010)

Many of the principles are fully consistent with Primal, especially the fact that the author fully gets the connection between gluten and many problems. Essentially, he maintains that you need to "fix" your body in order to "fix" you brain, in order for brain function, depression, OCD, anxiety, to normalize and he makes some very good points and arguments. Part of the fix may involve the gut. Dr. Hyman writes of one OCD sufferer whose condition completely reversed with treatment that changed intestinal flora.

These problems are ultimately biological and biochemical, not "mental".

In our gluten free support group, we have seen many complete turn-arounds involving numerous health and depression problems when a very strict gluten free diet is adopted, and the malnutrition and malabsorption caused by gluten damage is remedied. Even better results when the regimen moves toward full Primal/Paleo. Often magnesium, vitamin B-12, vitamin D, Omega 3, and other essential nutrients are quite deficient and require long term supplementation.

With some conditions, especially GI problems, 95% or even 99% gluten free is not effective and 100% gluten free is needed. I had lifelong GI problems and IBS, all of which finally resolved completely when I went 100% gluten free. But I am not celiac and can't be, I don't have the DQ2 or DQ8 genes. I've been collecting scientific journal articles on the damage that gluten does to non-celiacs.

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    Hate to load you down with too many book recommendations, but for the musculoskeletal issues you might consider "The Trigger Point Therapy Workbook: Your Self-Treatment Guide for Pain Relief, Second Edition by Clair Davies, Amber Davies, and David G. Simons MD (Paperback - Jul 2004)"

My physician father suffered from chronic musculoskeletal pain that was not resolved by conventional medical treatment or physical therapy. We used the self treatment principles of the Davies book and dad had complete resolution of his pain problems in a surprisingly short period of time. He described the principles as "like having a switch to turn off pain" and said that nothing in his medical education or experience had prepared him to accept the efficacy of the approach. Useful to read some of the innumerable favorable reviews, many by physicians, on Amazon. The principles seem to work in about 75 - 80% of chronic musculoskeletal pain cases. Some cases of scoliosis appear to benefit from this therapy.

Thanks for these! I just added both too my requests from the library. Fortunately they had them at the library, but both are checked out now. its better to not have to pay for books if you don't have to. :-)

I went for a walk today, in 100 degree weather. Close to about 40 minutes in my vibrams. The balls of my feet and my toes are really sore now. My face started to sweat toward the end, but I figure that's normal considering the weather. Although the heat does wonders for my digestion. My depression is also I think psychosocial, since I've always had trouble fitting in, and feeling like I belonged to a group.
    As for gluten, I'm about 98% there, which I may break every now than for a treat, but not as much now. I'm working my way to 100%. Rice doesn't seem to bother me, so that's a treat I have once every 2 or 3 weeks and as far as I know it doesn't have gluten in it. I used to mainly only eat grains, wheat and sugars, so its quite a change.

Made 3 scrambled eggs, seasoned with garlic and onions. They were then cooked in coconut oil. I'm taking it easy today, since from wearing the vibrams around a lot, I've developed some nasty blisters on the balls of my feet. I assume that a callous will build up at these parts eventually although it hurts to walk in the meantime. How do you deal with blisters? Also I keep hearing that I should take B12, I assume under the tongue. Does this increase your energy? Supposedly B12 is absorbed in the Illeum, which is the problem part of the gut for me.

My foot feels worse today (blister on the ball of the feet), that it really hurts to walk on it. So I've been wearing the MBT's which do reduce the pain quite a bit. I hope it heels by tomorrow. My b-day is in 2 days on Sunday, don't want to be lying down than. Although it would be a good excuse to get drunk. I ate at Champs Sport Bar for dinner yesterday, and had the walnut crusted chicken. It probably had breading on it and some sugar, since I'm about 3 pounds heavier today. I also drank a ton of water and ate corn chips which may make me retain water. I do like the idea of a walnut crusted chicken, with hazelnuts and pecans. I will have to make my own version sometime. The only problem I have with encrusting, is getting the chicken completely covered, and the crusting staying in place. when you flip the meat in the frying pan (its usually pan seared) the nuts will fall off in clumps, getting overcooked in the process.

I dunno if its just me, but I can't wear too tight of underwear, or too tight of a belt. Since the pressure can cause Chrohns cramp like pains. I've had Chrohns approaching 7 years now. I still don't expect a full recovery quickly like some people claim.

I have been getting more you look thinner compliments which are nice. I guess I'd be getting a lot closer to 8-12% body fat at 140 at a 5'4" height. Although since I have the extra spine length, and have pretty thick bones, I figure I will be a bit heavier than normal.

How much b12 should I be taking? I am taking vitamin d 5000, omega 3 (nordic naturals 2 teaspoons a day). Not sure why I would need magnesium.

What does b12 and magnesium deficiency cause?

Just finished the Warrior Diet. I don't agree with his love of grains and legumes, although I don't mind eating them from time to time. He also mentions cooking meat until mushy in a broth, which sounds gross to me.

As a result of a compromised immune system, I have this virus on my one arm, called Molluscum. Its a pox virus, which is not related to chicken pox (full body herpes) I started going to a dermatologist for removal of these annoying bumps that can spread. However he likes to put this acidic stuff on it, which makes them look worse, and its hurts. The never healing scab on my navel, was finally healed with this steroid topical cream, and from just one sample tube which is really nice!

Now time to read the Superior man book, and figure out something to do for my birthday tomorrow.

Today is a 20% day. :-) I'm 25 btw. I do want steak for dinner, and probably not going to bbq it today, since its a lazy day.

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast