Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: I'm your man on the inside :) page 2

voodoo-anarchy is offline Junior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Quote Originally Posted by Khrystyna View Post
    He he we sure do! In Ireland and a lot of Europe you can either be a registered dietician or general nutritionist, a hospital here wouldn't usually hire a nutritionist to work on the wards but would use a dietician but as a nutritionist you are allowed to work in preventative nutrition, admin etc although my course was largely geared towards the research and public health side of things. I could go and do another 18months to become a dietician but I don't particularly want to work in a hopsital anyway and there's no work here in it. Although if I were to go to the states or certain parts of Europe my qualification would be viewed largely the same as a dieticians, it's all very confusing lol. In Ireland you do four years for nutritional science, and it's extremely intensive, up to 40 hours per week with labs work and the likes. I'm exhausted after it, it was totally nuts! I got offered a research Ma that would have led to a Phd if I wanted it to but I'm not really into the research side of things so I turned it down, I want to work as a consultant eventually but I'll probably get a job in admin or technology in a food company in the mean time to earn some cash first.
    Wow, it sounds like there are a lot of options out there. I'm curious, though--how do you reconcile your own primal diet right now with what you've been taught in school? Does it affect how you advise others and how you go about your job? I definitely don't doubt the intensity of your courses--40 hours/week!

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Ehm well my course was actually very objectively taught, we weren't really told what 'good' nutrition was, more we were provided with various theories and evidence and then we'd have to criticically analyse them in class and then research ourselves some more. They kind of left us to make up our own minds when we studied a topic without trying to force their own opinions down our throats, we did a lot of toxicology where we did lectins, phytates and all that and we did a lot on diabetes and heart disease and even the role of carbs in their pathogenesis so we did do quite a lot that is relevant to paleo/primal nutrition. We did do clinical nutrition too though and that was obviously more a case of we were told what protocol was for various diseases etc. hehe ya 40 would have been a bad week alright, the labs really were crippling at times you could be in them for up to four hours a day if they weren't going well for you.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

Obviously our curriculum is very different. I'm so envious! It sounds like your approach is so much more open-minded...

I'm actually pretty nervous, because in the US I have to apply for an internship after I complete my studies, and my school has a very small class that gets to complete their internship and their degree at the same time. Maybe it's because I go to a large university, but I always feel like I'm competing with my fellow classmates instead of being able to focus on what I'm actually supposed to be learning.

Khrystyna is offline Senior Member
    Oh I wouldn't be jealous at all! One thing I am seriously lacking in from my course is clinical nutrition knowledge, like I know a fair bit about the usual CVD, type 2 diabetes, cancer and obesity but f-all about renal disease or other more obscure diseases so I really have a lot of my own homework to do now in those areas. Maybe you could try applying abroad for the internship? I totally know how you feel about te competative thing, my class was really bad too, there was forty odd pupils, only 3 boys so you can imagine how bitchy it could get. They were all competing like crazy with each other to get into the dietetics post-grads in England.
    My primal adventures:
    http://foodfloraandfelines.blogspot.com/
    Cooking, nutrition, gardening, foraging, preserving, photography

fox
    fox is offline Junior Member
    @voodoo-anarchy can I ask where you go? I am guessing you are still in undergrad studies?

Just wondering because I am looking at grad schools that have RD programs.

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Hi Fox! Yeah, I'm an undergrad @ the University of Texas in Austin. If you're looking for more options, you can search for graduate school programs here: http://www.eatright.org/students/education/di.aspx

Khrystyna, that's true. I guess the most valuable lesson is to know that you don't know! I would love to get an ADA internship abroad, but there doesn't really appear to be many (if any) options for that.. And yes, dietetics is such a female-dominated profession.. :/ it makes life a stressfest.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12