Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: IT Band - intermittent problems

IT Band - intermittent problems

Shop Now
    Ever since I did a 480 mile cycling ride a number of years ago and chronic cycling cardio, I've had intermittent problems with my IT Bands (Iliotibial band - some info http://www.rice.edu/~jenky/sports/itband.v2.html)

Most sites say to use drugs, etc. I'm not into that.

I use VFF's for training, basically running/hiking/walking and basically what is happening, is when I tend to push myself a bit (adding jumps, hurdles, sprints) - it's like it seizes up and refuses to release staying flexed. When this happens, I have to rest/massage it for a few days before doing things again.

I was curious if others had this problem and if they had any unique ways of dealing with it? I've tried a few different stretches, but wish I could figure out what makes it seize up and stay flexed.

Foam Roller. Get on the Friction spot, and roll obsessively on it. then roll on it some more. Hot Baths. Arnica Gel or Arnica Cream.

Time. LOTS of time.

Active Release Therapy.

2nd the other recommendations.

To those I'll add:

1)sufficient magnesium...you're not likely getting enough
    2)sufficient potassium....not likely getting enough
    3)see krispin.com for magnesium and potassium links. i have a potassium doc below
    4)mark has some great hip release posts....i do similar exercises for my IT band

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

back from the massage today, so feeling a ton better. I basically gave myself the week off from extended effort (no more than 30+ min walking, no running this week) and moved it to upper body workouts for the week (lifting heavy things).

I checked out mark's potassium link - I think I'm eating all the things he talks about. I'm not only already eating 9/10 of those vegetables and fruits regularly, but I'm growing half of them. I've got zuchinni's coming out of my ears!

Magnesium, well that's a different story. I researched what Krispin said -
    "The best food sources of magnesium are chocolate, nuts, seeds, and deep, dark, leafy greens"

I eat a fair amount of nuts and drink a chia seed drink every few days. I eat leafy greens in season like dandelion, mustard greens, argula, collards, whichever is in season. Supposedly it says that should be enough.

I don't really have the means to test my levels on this stuff, i guess a blood test would be the way to find out?

I did some of the exercises Mark mentions in this post - http://www.marksdailyapple.com/how-t...-hip-mobility/ namely the throwing punch one - (have started a weekend boxing training session with some folks - lots of hip work!) I need to find a foam roller still. Suggestions on where to get them?

This is mine. It hurts. But in a healing kind of way.

Acupuncture can also help if done properly..

I use a Roller. My ITB was so tight I couldn't put socks on as my leg wouldn't bend properly.

I use it everyday and I'm able to run on it fine.

Yoga

Shop Now
    Instead of a foam roller, use a short length of 4 to 6 inch diameter PVC. You can probably get some scrap for free from a plumber that does sewer lines. Or a hardware store will cut you a piece for a few bucks. It hurts so much that it'll make you cry until you get used to it, but it really works the kinks out better than the foam.