Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Primal journal :: RedValkyria page

RedValkyria is offline Senior Member

Talking Primal journal :: RedValkyria

Shop Now
    I've been reading through your journals, and I think it'd be a good idea to join with mine, keeping in mind my constant struggles and questions...!

I prevent you... This is going to be long. So if you want a summary, go to January 2014 (;

I've always had health problems, but it hasn't been until 2012 that I've decided to deal with them through my diet.

As a child, I was a terrible eater. That led me to anaemia twice or thrice a year. I suffered from constant urinary infections, so I was stuffed with antibiotics every... well, often. Too often. Four times a year or more. And that without counting how many times I fell sick because of the lack of a decent immune system. My dear parents did what they could, and in the end, I started eating my veggies... Goddess, that took a while.

When the menstruation came, it didn't do it silently. Dismenorrhoea, they call it. I call it living hell. The pain was horrible, and nothing calmed it. With my menarche, my sleep pattern was shattered and I haven't slept properly for 18 years now: I wake up 7-15 times during my 6-7 hours nights.

Furthermore, the Lady in Red was extremely irregular, and on my early twenties, I tried the pill. The regularity was fantastic, yet the pain was still insane. When I got false pregnancy side-effects, and then became used to the amount of hormones, I was recommended to change to a higher dose... I said no.

On the other hand, my skin has always been very delicate. I started with traumatic vitiligo when I was a kid (stains appear by themselves, but also if you injure yourself) and underwent experimental treatment for around 8 years. Soon after I stopped, my mother and I realised that it spreads when I take antibiotics.
    Anything left (and still leaves) a mark on my skin – but hair removal was the sherry on the cake. I got infection on the pores, I bled, and the itching was unbearable. Last but not least, I developed Sun allergy like 5-6 years ago.

Due to my scoliosis, when I was a teenager, I had to wear a corset for 3 years. The result is a twisted spine with a decent but not serious double curve and pain (as well as horrible headaches and faringitis, due to my long neck's wrong position) unless I keep a veeeery good and correct position.

My joint problems (no, I don't smoke) were at their peak 10 years ago. I have chronic tendinitis on both thumbs since then, and my dentist found out two things: hypermobility and very high pain threshold: I lost the disc of my right jaw and just felt a little bit of discomfort. I have sprained both my ankles and my right knee, and I didn't realise it until the size of the joint was a bit scary. I also underwent two minor surgeries on my hands, and didn't take any meds for the post-surgical pain... The issue with that is, when I feel pain, it's (usually) already quite serious...

Gut-wise, my digestions were (are) of 7-9 hours long and accompanied with bloating and fermentation, constant gas, constipation, very bad reaction to any kind of legume and nightshade, onion, and garlic... I decided to stop dairy, and my skin and digestion improved – but not enormously. The reason I was given was anxiety. They prescribed me anxiolytics. I refused to take them.

Beginning 2012. Red turns ovo-vegetarian.

No more packed, ready-to-eat food, nor industrial-meat, produced instead of raised, like our fellow animals should be. My diet was organic eggs, and almost all kinds of veggies and fruits... PLUS and insane carb intake. And I ate nuts by the ton. So-many. I could get 400g/day. My body wanted fat, and they satiated me like anything else could.

My iron levels were perfect for the first time in my life. My periods regulated – and that was fantastic, because it also hurt much less. So little, that I take no more of that ibuprofen poison. So I joined the dots and figured out that I'm very sensitive to the hormones and antibiotics on the meat.

Then a doctor told me that I'd chronic reflux, IBS-C and an elongated stomach (to the point of it being among my intestines). I tried the FODMAP. Not perfect, but helped, then...

… In January 2014, I decided that being a veggie wasn't the best for me. My health wasn't as good as this lifestyle promises, and I wanted the best. I turned paleo, only eating organic animal products. My skin improved. No more itching, almost no infections, and still close to 0 menstrual pain. But too many nuts. And too much cheating, also. My hips and gut didn't appreciate.

April 2014. Reintroduced some cheese (Danbo). It didn't hurt! Yet yoghurt and milk caused horrible reflux and other digestive issues I'll omit.

Mid-June 2014, I started the autoimmune protocol. My bloating improved instantly, but I got very dry skin on my legs, some acne (???), and the withdrawal symptoms got out of hand yesterday, so I have stopped. I'm alone here, no support – and when you get a low blood pressure hit with fast heart beat and your legs can barely hold you in place, you feel quite vulnerable. I have, however, stopped all kinds of fruit for a month.

And among all the bloating, bleeding, orthopaedic accessories, and hospitalisations, I was bullied for 14 years, and my self-esteem is a disaster. I'm working on it, and I've improved a lot, but my unemployment is hitting me hard, and I'm having anxiety attacks regularly.

So!

I am a stressed girl on her late twenties, who has to eat very small portions (around a glass of food, seven times a day) of organic animal products and vegetables, and she's trying not to eat another 500g of sunflower seeds in two days (just happened...). Hypermobility and vitiligo are my middle names, I've high testosterone, and I'm hypersensitive to antibiotics and hormones.

That. Was. Long.

Congratulations (and thank you) if you read it all!

Let's start this!
    Last edited by RedValkyria; 07-18-2014 at 02:22 AM.

RittenRemedy is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by RedValkyria View Post
    Let's start this!
    BAM!

((I did read it all. Whew! Hope you finally find some success with this WOE!))

Wow! Respect!

Thank you very much (: My body is still figuring out when to get hungry, but the 500g of sunflower seeds don't seem to be causing serious problems xD

Red-

Urban Forager is online now Senior Member
    Hi Red!

What a journey you've had! Hope you can solve some of your health issues eating this way. Waking all those times during the night is very hard on the body. A couple of months ago I had sleep problems and it affected everything. In my case I think it was an adrenal issue. Sleep issues can be very complicated and difficult to pinpoint the cause. Good luck on your journey!
    Life is death. We all take turns. It's sacred to eat during our turn and be eaten when our turn is over. RichMahogany.

Primal journal :: RedValkyria

Thank you (:

It's terrible. And for 18 years. I'm no better than a zombie in the mornings, not productive, 0 refreshed, unable to do anything at all, frustrated... and I'm sure that half of my health issues are linked to it. The body heals when we sleep... Now, what does it do when we sleep like I do?

Red-
    Last edited by RedValkyria; 07-08-2014 at 03:48 PM.

funderful is offline Member
    I'm a 29-year old female as well. I'll join your support circle! As someone who has battled debilitating anxiety (I'm also bipolar I) and the gut problems that go with it, I understand your pain. I went through many doctors and tests trying to figure out why my stomach wouldn't cooperate with me and I couldn't eat without causing enormous pain and bloating. Medication can help, but the important thing is to figure out your triggers. I haven't had gut issues in years since I figured out what was causing my anxiety and how to manage it.

Good luck and keep us posted!

Thank you very much, funderful! Consider me on yours, too (:

It's just been so long, so many pills, so many creams... So much wrong! I'm still wondering if the damage can be reversed and I can reach that optimal state we talk so much about here in MDA.

I see the success stories, yes. Some of them are incredible... But then I take a glass of water and tree minutes later, the liquid wants to make the reverse trip, and I have no clue why. I hope it's just a very long process - and also, that I'll figure it out before my 90s...! xD

Red-

Definitely not enough

I'm going through a lot of stress these days, and that's having an impact on my appetite - this is, it's almost non-existent.

Today, all I've eaten is, as breakfast, a dish of sautéed spinach with carrot, cauliflower and broccoli with a little bit of coconut oil, 125g mozzarella, three boiled eggs, two chicken wings and two thighs. I ate when I fell hungry, and nothing else. The rest of the time, water, because I'm really really thirsty.

I'm worried. I'm definitely not active physically (because my brain is chaos), and also sleeping horribly (it's almost 3 in the morning, I've slept 4 hours, and I don't feel tired...), but between forcing myself to eat (tried it three days ago, and I felt horrible sick, almost vomited, and I'd to go to bed before my usual time) and not eating (I'm afraid of counting the total calories of today's "meals"), I don't know which one to choose.

The truth is, I've been eating A LOT of meat lately. Raw minced beef or baked chicken. I needed it. I felt ravenous just by thinking about some fresh minced beef with salt and pepper. And all of a sudden, non-hungry-at-all episode.

On a good note, since I stopped the autoimmune, the small case of acne that was starting to appear, has almost said goodbye, as well as the skin and energy level problems.I feel like I can stand on my feet and actually get things done. Whichever those things are!

I wanted to buy jerky today, but I haven't found it - nor organic skyr. Keeping in mind its fat-carb.protein ratios, maybe I should give it a try and see what happens with my personal lactose drama...

Eating more protein may help me regulate my appetite, maybe...?
    Last edited by RedValkyria; 07-10-2014 at 02:03 PM.

Eggs, skyr, and other ailments

Still not eating much, but I was hungry more often today. Maybe because I was more active... It's interesting how the body tells me to fuel it depending of what I do. It's almost like I was using it (x

On the other hand, even if I haven't been hungry at any moment, I've had weak legs the whole day. Low energy, heavy, clumsy, feeling insecure on my feet. I don't feel like my blood pressure is low, so I'm wondering what it can be.

I've been a bit gassy... The mozzarella, maybe. I bought skyr today at a pretty good price for being organic. That's probably because I live in organic-dairy-heaven-aka-Denmark (organic and non-organic have sometimes the same price). And I don't even need to put sweetener on it! It has the most amazing taste and creamy consistency I've tried. Better than Greek yoghurt. Love it.

But my stomach isn't sure about this. I'm slightly bloated, gassy, and the taste of skyr is coming up all the time. I kind of prefer to digest my food, instead of being reminded that I'm doing it every-five-minutes.

Also, after around 3 weeks without eggs, I bought them yesterday and I fell a bit sick eating them. I've always been an egg fan, but when I ate them boiled, I felt unwell, a bit dizzy, heavy... And the same today. I should try different ways, like mixed with my chicken broth, before taking the autoimmune path with this too, and keep them out - as I'm doing with nightshades and fruit.

Oh. and I said no to my favourite organic vegetable chips, bought carrots, and prepared them myself in the oven. Because damn, Red. One bag of around 200g is 14,90kr. Buy 1kg of organic carrots for 9,90kr and enjoy home-made goodness.

And I did. And Goddess, they were good.
    Last edited by RedValkyria; 07-18-2014 at 02:25 AM.

Pebbles67 is online now Senior Member
    Good Luck, Red.

Have you considered doing a 30 day strict paleo program like the Whole 30? It would mean dropping dairy, but might help you pinpoint some food issues.
    Why did you drop fruit?

Ooooh, I want to make vegetable chips. I have some beets and carrots.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast