Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Gaining fat on 21 day challenge?! page

BarefootCoach is offline Junior Member

Unhappy Gaining fat on 21 day challenge?!

Primal Fuel
    Hey all,

So I've been undertaking Mark's '21 Day Transformation' as a way to kick-start my way back into Primal living, having dipped inn and out of it before. I've largely been sticking to the dietary and exercise recommendations, and weighing myself each week, at the same day and time, along with taking BMI and fat measurements.

What I've noticed is this: far from losing weight (which was part of my aim) - I have INCREASED according to the following, over the three week period:

Weight 80 to 82 kg
    Body fat 21.1% to 22.2%
    Visceral fat 7 to 8
    BMI 23 to 25

How is this possible?! Any ideas?

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    You ate too much

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    What are you eating?

Ha! Well I'm completely off the grains, sugar, refined carbs etc. Eating lots of quality meat, eggs, loads of non-starchy veg, nuts and nut butter (almond), organic butter and coconut oil / milk, little bits of full-fat dairy (unpasteurized), some bananas and berries (I was having problems with feeling sick after exercising, so fruit helps with some extra carbs), live yoghurt, black tea... that sums it up really.

In actual fact FrenchFry, I've found that I've been eating less over the period due to feeling much more satisfied after food (as well as being quite busy and not having time!).

Abatt2006 is offline Junior Member
    Too many calories, paleo or not, if you eat too much you'll gain weight

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Elliot is online now Senior Member
    No nuts!

FrenchFry is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootCoach View Post
    Ha! Well I'm completely off the grains, sugar, refined carbs etc. Eating lots of quality meat, eggs, loads of non-starchy veg, nuts and nut butter (almond), organic butter and coconut oil / milk, little bits of full-fat dairy (unpasteurized), some bananas and berries (I was having problems with feeling sick after exercising, so fruit helps with some extra carbs), live yoghurt, black tea... that sums it up really.

In actual fact FrenchFry, I've found that I've been eating less over the period due to feeling much more satisfied after food (as well as being quite busy and not having time!).
    mmmm, maybe some intermittent fasting or short daily eating window would help you. Try to eat most of your meals between say 5pm and 8pm every day. Work out fasted.

And if you really want to "cut", you can severely restrict calories for a few days while keeping your work-out routine (as much as you can at least). An easy way to do so is to be on the potato hack diet for a few days. Not "primal" (but one can argue about this ...) but you should get some fat mass burnt quick.

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by BarefootCoach View Post

Bet you aren't. The foods you're eating now are calorie dense and easy to overeat. Unless were weighing and measuring every molecule of food before the 21 day challenge and doing so during the 21 day challenge, I'd guess you're taking in more calories than you used to
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

aah I see... looks like I have been confused here - I thought that becoming 'fat adapted' meant that the body begins using fat for fuel, hence it became very difficult to put on weight when eating primally, regardless of how much you ate (within reason). It seems that I still need to be counting calories, then?

I like FrenchFry's suggestion of IF too... though not sure how long I could sustain the potato hack diet!

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Your body will use fat and sugar for fuel. No matter what.

While improving the quality of the food you eat will perhaps heal your gut, better nourish you and allow your body and hormones to funtion properly, at the end of the day calories matter
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast