Thread: Primal Challenge Journal (Ken) page

Ken Guest

Primal Fuel

Hey all!

So, the brief version of my story is that 5 years ago I was a 252 lb. beer swilling couch potato. After quitting drinking, and watching my diet, I was able to lose weight, train for and complete a number of sprint and olympic triathlons. Then, in 2006 -- disaster hit... oops -- I mean, I got a gift -- my adrenals fried and I experienced major burnout in life. I rode the roller coaster of feeling better/feeling bad... training/not training... experimenting with diets, supplements, the whole deal.

This year, I finally have my training on track, but my diet has been a roller coaster still, and in triathlon that truly is the fourth discipline. I am heavier than I want to be, addicted to sugar and refined carbs, and ready to just be consistent with this way of eating.

As a sidenote, I am not into 'chronic cardio,' I am a huge fan of Dr. Phil Maffetone, Brad Kearns' books (that's how I found out about Mark's Daily Apple), and training in a sensible HR range (truly aerobic) most of the time, with strength training and anaerobic training when the time is right. I do believe that we are way too brainwashed on needing carbs, and always feel better when I eat primally...

SO....... here's the starting point:

45 years old

6'1"

200 lbs.

~22% body fat

insomnia, fatigue, and not enough rest...

Today's food so far:

B - 2 eggs w/ cheese omelet, turkey bacon

S - nuts

L - Boston Market - 1/4 chicken with green beans, veggies... hint - if you ask for no corn bread, you get a LOT of veggies!

S - more nuts, snuck in a muscle milk light as well.

Dinner I think will be chicken with veggies...

Workouts:

NONE! Today is a rest day!

Looking forward to going primal with you all!

ken

Ken Guest

D - Chicken breast, broccoli sauteed in olive oil with garlic, canteloupe...

Ken Guest

PrimalCon New York

Did not post yesterday, but the day looked something like this:

B - Smoothie: 1/2 c. milk (like to use coconut milk), strawberries, blueberries, almonds, spinach, protein powder.

S - snacked on nuts throughout the day, had an apple with almond butter before my workout PM.

L - (boring) same as day before - Boston Mkt chicken with green beans and veggies, I was hungry and in a rush, and that was easy.

D - beef stir fry with broccoli slaw (recipe from Bill Phillips Eating for Life), and a little brown rice (recovery from strength workout)

Before bed -- Hammer Whey with water.

Workout:

Strength training