This is something like my fourth attempt at keeping an MDA journal. Maybe this time, it will stick.

Over the three years of on again, off again GF/primal/paleo lifestyle, I've come to realize several things:

1. Eating heavily processed crap really does screw me up: slow, sluggish, feel lousy. When I do processed foods, when I stick to certain brands (Applegate Farms for breakfast sausage and bacon), I do OK. Overall, if the ingredients list has more than six items listed, I should rethink it.

2. Sugar is evil because when I have sugary foods (e.g., Haagen Dazs vanilla bean ice cream), I want MORE. Immediately. And it does nothing to make me feel sated.

3. Ditto GF grains (like the Kind brand GF cereals). Does nothing to satisfy. If I really want the crunch, I should stick with nuts, seeds, and crunchy veggies.

4. Eating late at night (e.g., dessert before bed) is a sure-fire way for my stomach to gurgle while in bed. Just don't do it anymore. Sheesh. I'm switching to a nightcap of mint tea.

5. Logging good; obsessing bad. Turns out if I don't keep a bare-bones journal, it's easy for me to lose sight of how non-primal/paleo I can become (and easily). But if I start measuring every little thing, that quickly spirals me into orthorexia. Sheesh, again. Lesson learned: Keep tabs, but don't freak out. It's a fine line.

6. Grain-free really helps level my moods. For me, it really comes down to a choice: Do I want to go back on antidepressants? If not, I need to stick to grain free -- or at least make it my usual. Potatoes and sweet potatoes are my friends; rice and other grains, not so much. Especially with day job stress and heavy MFA coursework, eating grain free helps me stay calm. Well, calmish. Well, at least I don't feel bad about eating poorly on top of all the stress. GF/gf (Gluten Free/grain free) works for me. I just have to remember that.

7. Exercise every day for mental health. If I don't at least go walking, my ass takes the form of my chair. Maybe it's my age (43) and my gender (female), but my body definitely doesn't bounce back the way it used to. A little bit every day helps in lots of ways.

8. Taekwondo for play continues! Black belt, woohoo! Going to take these 2 years before next dan test to really focus on technique, precision, and power. And I'm going to break that damn brick.

Anyway. There it is.

So I kicked off today with a couch-to-5K program with Loving Husband and the Tax Deductions. Nothing like family intervals on a beautiful morning to start things! 2.46 miles, walk/jog intervals. Rah! Had black coffee; time to make breakfast before things get nuts at the day job.