Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Veins! page

Beauty is offline Senior Member

Veins!

Shop Now
    I know this may not be relevant to nutrition, but so much is... I have VERY veiny hands and arms. It doesn't matter whether I've been working out or whether I'm hot or cold. I also tend to have poor circulation (and I'm hypothyroid). I remember looking at my mother's hands as a child and noticing how veiny they were. And then seeing my grade 2 teacher and thinking how lovely her hands were since they had no visible veins. I've learned to accept my veiny hands, but I am wondering if perhaps they are a sign of something a bit off in my body. Any ideas? Anybody else very veiny? How do you feel about it?

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    I like the look of vein-y hands and forearms. I also consider it a sign of fitness.

Now, my vein-y feet and ankles (not varicose though).....I'm a little less keen on that look....
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I'm very veiny too. Especially my feet and hands. Also other parts.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Lol, rphlslv!

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    I'm there with you, my arms, feet, hands are really veiny. I've never had any problems related to circulation or anything vein related as far as I know. I've also noticed that other parts of my body (chest, legs), the veins are easily seen under the skin unless I have a decent tan, as if they are all very close to the surface.

Heck, I kinda like it... it makes my arms and hands look lean, like I just got done working out. Although, I had a hiking buddy tell me he thought my arms were going to explode at any moment. Also a bonus - I never have to fear when giving blood, I'm an easy target.

I wonder if we all have similar heritage. My family line is basically French/Spanish/Czech-ish.

live vintageously is offline Junior Member
    Interesting. I'm hypothyroid, though I'm usually hot and not cold (probably due to my current med dosage). It could be your genes. I have a lot of English, Irish, and Scottish blood circulating in me (sorry for the pun!), and these ethnicities tend to have thinner skin.

Aside from the varicose veins, I like my veiny hands and feet. When I was over 100 pounds overweight, I didn't have this. Now that I'm significantly lighter, I revel in the fact that I have protruding veins. It means less fat is covering them

Hmm, my ancestors were English/ Irish/ Scottish/ French/ German. Being female makes me a little more self-conscious about the veins, I think. Apart from the thin skin hypotheses, I wonder what causes it?

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Brazilian and Italian here. Italian is probably where my hairiness comes from hehe.

Oh I also have this nice looking vein somewhere on my left shoulder.

I didn't use to be like this. I'm getting slimmer and the weather is hot, could be that.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Hrm, actually my father has developed thyroid issues now that he is older and I've clearly inherited his veiny arms and hands. His is hyperthyroidism. If anything I'm usually colder than most people around me.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    I have the veiny hands thing going as well and so does my mother. I am mostly of German descent. I also have sort of short stout hands (joy), a mix of my mother and father. Its funny, you look at my mother and you would never judge her age unless you looked at her hands. She looks 15 yrs younger then her actual age except in her hands. I have a suspicion I will be in the same boat. I do not have any thyroid problems that I know of, but both my mother and me tend to have colder hands and feet.

Now that I took up climbing recently, I am thankful for my 'not so girly' hands.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast