Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings from a Wannabe Grok page

Grok Wannabe is offline Junior Member

Greetings from a Wannabe Grok

Shop Now
    A hearty paleo hello to all from a 51 year old fat type 2 diabetic with high triglycerides who has (finally) decided he's not ready to be put out to pasture. I posted a little about myself in the "mandatory greeting" thread stickeyed above, so I won't repeat that, but wanted to say how much I'm looking forward to meeting folks who understand what I'm going through.

Although I've been fat since birth, I own every bit of it. It's nobody's fault but my own that I was a fat kid, a fat teenager, a fat adult, and now a fat "senior" (holy hell, that hurt to type). I had some success on Atkins 10 years ago, dumping 75 pounds that I've kept off, but am now right back where I was glucose and triglycerides-wise.

I am 5'9" tall and weigh 310. In 2004, I was the same height but weighed 387 ... so it's possible. Right now, I have three goals:
    1) Get my shit together before I die

2) Step on the scale and see a "2" as the first number for the first time since the mid-80's

3) Step on the same scale and see a "1" as the first number for the first time since ... well, birth (which totally sucked for my mom, let me tell you)

As you can probably tell, humor is both my defense mechanism and best social skill. My motto, if I had one, would be if you're not laughing, you're dying and except for people who cut me off in traffic, I really don't want anybody to die.

Although I'm just starting out on my journey to understand and adopt the PB, I do have the fact that I love to cook going for me. I hope to experiment with a lot of primal recipes and share my results, good and bad, with the whole community. Some serious, but not yet dire, revelations about my health are the wake up call I've needed for a few years now. The good news is that I don't need to convince myself, or anybody else for that matter, that I should do this. Making that decision is very freeing, so now I just have to channel my inner Grok and make it happen.

I look forward to your laughter, your support, and to having my wife and IRL friends see a whole lot less of me over the coming months and years.

GW (John)

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Senior at 51????? I turned 71 this year and just started to feel old (hearing aids, bifocals and soon a pacemaker). I've been on Primal for 4 years and I am younger than when I started. You can do it too.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

Rig D is offline Senior Member
    Dayton, OH, but "home" is Carolinas/Georgia
    Hedonist is all over it. I'm 66 -- just completed 2 full yrs into Primal and feel younger than I did 10 yrs ago. Hell, I'm still a youngster. I'm working on being 30 again.

GW-You really need to adjust that mental picture or you will be an Old Fart long before your time is at hand. It would be a shame if 5 yrs from now you have a 45 yr old body and an 80 mindset.

I'm down from 270 to a stable 205. You too can do it. Stick with Mark's basic program until you can really see what does/does not work for you. It is not just the food, do the exercise-it is key to making everything click! I'm a broken record on this, but start easy on exercise and work up your ability slowly. At your height/weight, you probably aren't able to do a whole lot at the get-go. You are in a marathon, not a 100M dash, so work for the long haul.

Despite the slam on your "senior" comment, I am solidly in your corner and hoping you have great success with the Primal life style. Just don't get discouraged if the body changes are fairly slow, I averaged just over 1 lb/wk loss, and had numerous big drops and long plateaus on the way. You've knocked off a lot of weight already, so focus on if you are feeling better and how your clothes fit rather than hopping on the scale daily. Suggest once a week weighing, and monthly using a tape measure to track whatever body dimensions you think are appropriate.

funderful is online now Member
    Welcome! You can do this. Good luck on your journey!

Welcome!
    Began Paleo journey 06/08/2014
    Beginning weight: 244.3 pounds/ 41.8% bodyfat
    Current Weight: 238.9 pounds/ 41.2% bodyfat
    Goal weight: 150 pounds/ 15% bodyfat

"The path to a better life begins with a single step."

CO_Mom is offline Member
    Welcome!

And I agree with Hedonist and Big D, 51 is not old! I'm just catching my second wind.
    Not all changes lead to progress. But progress is impossible without changes.

AutumnTiger is online now Senior Member
    Welcome!

Great work on maintaining your previous loss - that is a good start as so many of us yo-yo up and down! The fact that Atkins worked for you might be in your favour with primal - which is absolutely heaps better in soooo many ways!

Can't wait to hear about some of your recipes

Current: 04-Jul-14 = 208lbs (14.13 - O. M. G. the 14s!!!!)

Whole 30: Sat 7th June 2014 = 222lbs | GW = 138lbs

Paleo Start: 16-Nov-13 at 234lbs | 22-Feb-14 = 219lbs dropped into cruise maintenance mode
    Previously: 2-Jan-13 to 17-Jul-13 lost 37lbs with WW

Knock me down, I'll get right back up again, come back stronger than a powered-up Pacman - Kaiser Chiefs

RedValkyria is online now Member
    Welcome and wishing you all the success you deserve!

My father is 66, diabetic, with kidney problems, insane liquid retention... But stubborn as a mule. Take away his grains, and he'll get all berserk. So I'm glad that you took the step (: People like you help me to show him that being over 50 doesn't mean "too old to change"! It doesn't even mean old, damn it.

Enjoy the ride!

Red-

Annieh is offline Senior Member
    If you wannabe you can be. Since you already cook you're gonna love this. I look forward to following your progress, you are sure to feel younger than ever as the days go by.

All the best.

Grok Wannabe is offline Junior Member
    Thanks for the kind words, everybody! And a bit of clarification is in order about my "senior" comment. I would say that I'm a very long way away from having a senior mindset ... my comment was meant solely to indicate that I can join AARP now if I want to. Born in 1963, technically I'm a Baby Boomer but I have no identity with that demographic whatsoever and am Gen X all the way. Sometimes I can't believe that I'm 51 on the calendar, but most of the time I really don't care because it's how you feel that determines your true age and outlook on life.

My wife and I just bought a used 5th wheel camper and a new pickup truck to haul it. Camping and seeing North America with our two cats is going to replace cruises (filled with starchy, bad food) and other sedentary vacations we've taken in the past. In fact, that's why it took me a few days to respond to these posts because we were doing a local 3 day "shakedown" of our camping procedures prior to spending 2 weeks in Nova Scotia in late July / early August.

Finally, I can report amazing success already on the Primal Blueprint! I had already made the decision to go Primal, but I hadn't implemented it until June 27 when I weighed 315. I just got off the scale and am less than a half pound away from achieving my first goal of seeing a "2" as the first number when I step on the scale! I've even "cheated" a bit, having had a small bowl of ice cream as a treat not once but twice during that period. Even without test strips, I know I am firmly in a state of ketosis and am burning fat ... and I haven't even begun a formal exercise program yet, but I will do so soon. I also think I've made a believer out of my wife who has lost 6 pounds.

I greatly appreciate all the kind words and encouragement! Between going Primal and the new camper and truck, there is more positive change in my life right now than there has been for many years and I'm more energized and ready to embrace challenges than ever before.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast