Thread: bacon grease question... page

chia is offline Senior Member

bacon grease question...

Primal Fuel
    just wondering... I have a huge, cast iron pan...and I like having bacon with avacado fairly regularly so I just sort of let the grease harden up and use it the next day to saute chicken breast in too...wow, does that make it taste more like thighs which I always run out of.

My question is, I sort of use that pan back and forth between the two and I don't even wash it...well, eventually I do, but I wonder if using the same pan between the two meals, bacon, chicen in bacon fat, bacon again, chicken again...without washing with hot, soapy water..wonder if it's ok to wash the pan maybe every 4 days and be safe? or could I even go longer. That grease is gold but I also understand it 'could' go rancid?..

thanks all!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Do NOT wash a cast iron pan with hot soapy water.

I rarely actually wash my cast iron pans, unless I end up with something sticky or gunky in it. Usually just a bit of fat and a spatula works to de-grime a cast iron pan, and wipe it clean with a paper towel. If I do have to "wash" one of my pans, it's just a damp scrubby and some hot water, then put it in the oven or on a hot burner to dry it, then add more fat to re-season it, and wipe it smooth. Never wash it enough to remove the fats, just to get the gunky stuff off.

thankyou Diana! just didn't want to poison myself..sometimes being lazy has a purpose.. ;-) the less housework, the better.. :-)

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Nah, you'll be fine. And if you're worried about germs, I wouldn't. Heating the pan to cook will kill any nasties that might be there.

esloser is offline Member
    I only use cast iron to cook with. After cooking bacon, I pour the bacon grease into a glass jar that I keep in the refrigerator. I will then rinse the cast iron pan - while still hot and run a nylon brush over it while rinsing to remove any of the gunk. I make sure to stick it back on the stove for a few minutes to dry it completely and most times will throw some crisco into the bottom and wipe it around to season some more. I never use soap on it and never leave it sitting in a sink full of water.

Like you, I will get lazy sometimes and leave the bacon grease in the pan in the morning and use it to cook with at night for dinner. I haven't had any problems or trips to the emergency room as a result. I don't know about leaving it for days though...

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    You take the bacon grease out and then put crisco in? I think something just broke in my brain...

esloser is offline Member
    It does sound that way doesn't it? I constantly use crisco to season my cast iron pans. So, it doesn't matter what I cook in them - steaks, vegetables with olive oil, pancakes for my boy. After I rinse them out and as they are drying on the stove, I add a bit of crisco and as it liquefies will wipe it around the pan with a paper towel. That way it is ready for the next time I use it.

Quote Originally Posted by tamo42 View Post
    You take the bacon grease out and then put crisco in? I think something just broke in my brain...

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    coconut oil is better for everything...seasoning pan etc...... but I see what to do..just wasn't sure how long I could reuse grease for...but of course, heating would kill the nasties.... just scrape any nasties away... heat pan..scrape more...then polish with coconut oil to re-season....and voila..ready to use for the next batch of bacon. thanks gang! love it here!