Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Here goes nothing! Or should I say ... Here goes everything! :) page

Team Sohn is online now Member

Cool Here goes nothing! Or should I say ... Here goes everything! :)

Primal Fuel
    Well, I suppose this is the first day of my attempt to get healthy. I can't really even say "get back to being healthy" because all my life I've been overweight/obese and unhealthy. As far back as I can remember (elementary school) I was always the chubby kid getting picked on. My solace? Well, DUH! Food. All through Junior High & High School my parents bought me Dexatrim, paid for Weight Watchers and any other diet plan/program/drug we could think of. None of it worked.

There is only ONE period during my life where I was anywhere NEAR being my "ideal weight" and that was after highschool. I wanted to get into the military so bad, but because I was overweight they wouldn't take me. Even after getting down to 145 #'s they said I was still "too heavy".

So, I gave up. And gained it all back and then some. I've done the yo-yo diet scene. From the Cabbage Soup Diet, the Hot Dog Diet, Starvation diet, Atkins Diet, etc. I'd loose weight then something would happen and I'd gain it all back. Here a few years ago I was doing pretty good. I had started Truck Driving and was very careful about what I ate. I had a full 10 hour mandated break every night and could take a walk (as long as it wasn't dark...truckstops are skeery after dark being a woman) or even exercise in the truck. I wasn't "toned & fit" but I wasn't as bad as I am now.

I met DH at a shipper, we eventually became a couple and "lived" together (as much as we could since we were driving seperate trucks) and things were good. Then in early 2008 he convinced me to become an owner operator. I'd have my own truck, instead of driving a company truck. Yay! HAH! The crash hit, diesel fuel hit almost $5 a gallon and we were STRUGGLING just to keep afloat driving 2 trucks. One or the other was constantly breaking down so there would be times we'd go for days without one of us making ANY money at all. Anyway, long story short, we decided it would be best to become a "team" and drive one truck. The pay was better and we'd be able to spend time together.

Here's what we DIDN'T think about. When you're driving team, the truck hardly stops moving. When one is driving, the other is sleeping. Stop for a leisurely breakfast/lunch/dinner? No freakin way. When he fueled the truck, I'd run inside and hit whatever fast food joint that particular truck stop had. By the time I had the food, he was done fueling and we'd be moving again. Stop for a leisurely walk? Again, NOPE! Needless to say, this took a physical toll on both of us. I don't know for sure, but I'm fairly certain I put on at LEAST 50-60 pounds. And I have no clue how many he put on, but I do know his pants sizes were going up substantially!

Things finally hit a brick wall in 2012/2013 He was getting worse and worse, chest pains, trouble breathing, etc. We finally got him into the V.A. to see a doctor by the middle of March and within 2 weeks they had him in the hospital getting his chest cracked open for a triple-bypass. You would think that would have been a real eye-opener for us. And it was, kinda. We both tried to loose weight. And I'm not going to try and make excuses. I'm TIRED of trying to make excuses! I've finally started working on changing how I do things. I'm hoping beyond hope that he follows my lead!

Weight: 235
    Waist Size: 48.5"
    Estimated Body Fat%: 41%

Day 1

Primal Food Intake Today:
    B: 2 Cups of Coffee with Coconut milk
    S: None
    L: 3 Poached Eggs, 1 3.15 oz Potato (microwaved and sliced longways in 3 pieces), 3 Tbsp Salsa Verde on top
    S: Green Olives and a home-made Pickle Spear (NOT fermented)
    D: Bowl of chili (with beans .. I know a no-no) with shredded cheddar

Exercise routine
    "Danced" to Bassnectar (my son's favorite group) for 15 minutes! Although I don't really know if my flailing around the livingroom/kitchen really counts as dancing! LOL

I will try and edit this later tonight after dinner so I can add what I decided to eat!

Edited this morning with my naughty dinner. It's really REALLY going to be hard on me for a while eating totally primal. Currently our finances are shot (long story) and we have only enough money to pay the bills. NO grocery shopping at all, so I have to make do with what I have in the pantry/freezer/garden. Lots of beans, rice and pre-cooked frozen "meals" (like the chili, chicken noodle soup, etc.).
    Last edited by Team Sohn; 07-01-2014 at 06:39 AM.

Pebbles67 is offline Senior Member
    Welcome and good luck!

I am 46 too. I have three sons.: )
    Paula Primal since 9/24/2010
    "Our greatest foes, and whom we must chiefly combat, are within." Miguel de Cervantes

Created by MyFitnessPal.com - Free Weight Loss Tools
    MFP username: MDAPebbles67

OMG ... I have 3 boys also! How funny is that! Son referenced was my middle son who lives at home

Neat! My guys are 18,16 & 10. All still at home.

funderful is offline Member
    Welcome! I have the nearly the same stats. Good luck on your journey! Look forward to reading about it.

Day 2

S: 1 Medium Cucumber Peeled & sliced
    L: 2 Poached Eggs, 1 Patty made from my Meatball Roma recipe, 3 Tbsp Salsa Verde & cheddar cheese sprinkled on top
    S: 1/2 cup Almonds
    D: Pork Loin fried in bacon grease, 3 Cups of steamed fresh green beans drizzled in bacon grease.

Exercise routine
    Spent 1/2 hour out in the garden weeding and picking a few veggies.

On a side note ... I sure will be glad if I can figure out what is causing these horrible headaches I seem to get every day. :/

You seem pretty low carb. It could be electrolyte imbalance. Try adding some salt. The easiest fix for this is to drink a cup or two of bouillon...A large dose of sodium in a small package.

Day 3

S:
    L: 3 Slices Bacon, 3 Small Eggs (fresh from the nest this morning) scrambled with heavy cream & with sauteed (in bacon fat) green pepper & onion all topped with a sprinkle of cheddar and a dallop of sour cream.
    S:
    D: Wasn't really hungry (ate lunch late) so skipped dinner.

Exercise routine
    LHT - I attempted the 3 of the "4 essential movements" today (no where to do pull-ups). Dang am I outta shape !!! Of course, I kinda already knew that but DANG! *sighs* It really doesn't help me do squats when my knees hurt like the dickens (arthritis) but I'm hoping that exercising them somewhat regularly will help with that. My upper arm strength was the best of them all. Guess that's from pushing my fat butt up off of the couch every day >.<

Also took a short walk around the grocery store to pick up some primal veggies, bacon & dairy.

On the plus side. No headache today.

And thanks for the tip Pebbles. Honestly I'm pretty convinced it's my posture. It's been an on-going issue for a very long time.

I'm in pretty darn poor shape. Way too many days I wake UP with a headache! I honestly think it's because I need to move around more. I'm pretty much a couch potato. And that being said, our couch isn't in the best of shape and is really uncomfortable to sit on. :/ But I digress.

I'm planning on doing a bit of a longer walk this weekend when I go into town (maybe hit the flea market on Saturday just for the exercise).

Day 4

B: 3 Cups of Coffee with Heavy Whipping Cream
    S: Blueberry Shake/Smoothie
    L: Romaine Salad w/tomatoes, cucumber, green peppers and Sliced Pork Loin Chop (left overs) with a sour cream based dressing.
    S:
    D: Romaine Salad w/tomatoes, cucumber, green peppers and my Taco Meat mixture topped with Salsa Verde & Sour Cream.

Exercise Routine
    Can't really say that I did too much exercise today. I started getting a bad headache right before lunch, so I ate then waited a bit. It didn't get too much better so I decided to do some stretching type exercises (high school calisthenics come to mind) and some wall push-ups. That actually seemed to help as my headache actually went away. Kinda makes me think that maybe it's my posture/lack of exercise has been contributing to my headaches.

Hubby will be home off the road for the day tomorrow. Planning a nice grilled ribeye steak lunch/dinner with some sort of berry dessert. Not sure what kinda veggies I'll be having with the meal but I'll figure it out when I go shopping for fresh berries!

Oi! My son made a pot of coffee. I LUV the smell of fresh brewed coffee and even though I know I shouldn't ... I made myself a cup .. actually 2 ... now I'm wide awake at 12:15 AM! Curse my inability to resist

ETA: I ended up staying up until almost 4 am! Naughty Me LOL But durn that coffee tasted good.
    Last edited by Team Sohn; 07-05-2014 at 09:02 AM.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast