Thread: Cod liver oil, serious side effects? Or is this BS? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Cod liver oil, serious side effects? Or is this BS?

http://www.essortment.com/lifestyle/...ideef_slyf.htm

Forget the part about calories, obviously that's BS. But what about the other stuff?

Kattanga is offline Junior Member
    It's not just cold liver oil, it's all omega-3 fatty acids. It also interferes with you T cell functioning which effects your autoimmune system. Eskimos walking around with nose bleeds never stuck me as being healthy.

Checkout:
    http://www.alanaragon.com/fish-oil.html

Ian
    Ian is offline Junior Member
    Definitely BS. First of all, adding fish/cod liver oil will not add 200 cals to your diet, that's ridiculous. You'd have to take about 22 grams of fat to get that many. For some products that's up to 40 capsules, which nobody (I hope) takes. It definitely isn't in the guidelines >.<
    Second, I don't understand how supplementing omega-3's is any different from getting it in your diet, they never explained that. They are correct that too many omega-3s, but actually just too many PUFA's in general, can cause health problems, but the majority of people don't get enough omega-3's, and would benefit extremely from supplementation. The vitamin a side effects they were talking about happen with the synthetic forms at around 100,000 I.U a day, and as for the detrimental bone effects, that only occurs when vitamin a is extremely high while vitamin d is low. The side effects from "excess vitamin d" only happen with vitamin D2, not the natural D3 you get from the sun/animal fat. Most studies look at what happens with artificial D2, which is toxic even in low amounts.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    It'd be hard to take enough CLO (or fish oil) to get too much Ω3 but that's easy enough to track via nutritiondata.com if interested.

Like most nutrients in our bodies it's all about ratios.

Magnesium:Calcium
    Potassium:Sodium
    Zinc:Copper
    Vitamin A:Vitamin D
    Selenium:Mercury

Not that you absolutely can get toxic on D.....doses higher than 5,000 IU are proabably not appropriate for most unless one is testing 25(OH)D levels but in my experience, if midday sun isnt' available, if one drives everywhere and works indoors, then 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day tends to be appropriate dosing. I've only run across a few exceptions that needed lower dosing than that.

i have a local friend who's taking 10,000 IU per day and weighs 175 lbs. Serum 25(OH)D is 140 ng/mL which is simply put, too high. is it toxic, not immediately and possibly not ever. But we just don't know. From sun, levels simply don't get higher than 100 ng/mL (250 nmol/L0 and often seem to max out around 80 ng/mL (200 nmol/L). It's probably best to stick with what could be naturally achieved.

Which brings me to vitamin A. It'd be impossible to 'naturally' through diet reach the A intakes that are being recommended by WAPF. Impossible. There is only one liver in an animal and it would be eaten in ratio to the rest of the organs and muscle meat in that animal. There simply wouldn't have been a way to achieve A intakes at higher levels.

Personally, I avoid cod liver oil, taking A and D separately dictated by my weight and needs. I take 1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight on the days I don't get sun (and on those days I'm VERY sun avoidant b/c I don't want incidental UV expousre and the resulting sundamage).

Then, a couple of times a week, because UV has important functions (in addition to the dammed sundamage function), I do get some midday bikini sun to the point just before a burn would occur which for me is about 35 minutes 'each side'. I try for about twice a week.....then the rest of the time I might as well be wearing a burqa or chadri considering how covered I am....hat, large sunglasses, slathered in highly UVA protective (high ppd) european s/s containing both tinosorbs, long sleeves, gloves, long skirts/pants. Yeah....even when I'm driving.

The vitamin a side effects they were talking about happen with the synthetic forms at around 100,000 I.U a day, and as for the detrimental bone effects, that only occurs when vitamin a is extremely high while vitamin d is low. The side effects from "excess vitamin d" only happen with vitamin D2, not the natural D3 you get from the sun/animal fat.
    Now that more are getting on the D supplement wagon, toxicity cases are showing up.

It's best to keep supplementation around 5,000 IU per day OR
    1000 IU per 25 lbs body weight per day if not getting any significant sun OR
    if getting some significant sun, to consider that amount and supplement at a lower dose

It's infinitely easier to simply test and treat though. My d doc linked below has information on inexpensive testing options.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I can't believe that they are suggesting that omega 3 will make you fat and give you heart disease ............
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>