Thread: Supplements, is it worth it, what to take?

Supplements, is it worth it, what to take?

Shop Now
    I'm still fairly new with the primal lifestyle and I'm seeking a little guidance on what (if anything) I should be taking. Let me start out by saying this, I'm pretty damn skeptical of supplements in general, but considering the testimonials and advice I've been given, I'm at least going to entertain the idea.

The basics...
    30yo male, 180lbs
    Fitness: Crossfit 3x a week almost always the 5am class.
    Goal: lose 15lbs of bf and gain whatever muscle CF 3x a week will get me

I've been told that taking creatine and an amino acid (spark?) pre workout is all I really need, does this sound about right? As you can see I don't have crazy goals, I really just want to get the most out of my effort.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Whey protein can be useful

Creatine is probably a good idea, as far as performance goes

Beta Alanine appears to work pretty well too. I'm still looking into that one myself

BCAA's are good when you're not eating, or when you're eating protein sources with insufficient BCAA's.
    The Champagne of Beards

I normally drink a protein shake mixed with whole milk post workout, but I look at that more as breakfast than an actual "supplement"

Well I say if your nutrition is otherwise where you think it should be, research the safety and effectiveness of both creatine and beta alanine, draw your own conclusions, and consider adding them accordingly. Were you asking about other nutrition supplements, or mainly performance-based ones?
    The Champagne of Beards

I'm focused on performance and building muscle, the weight is coming off pretty consistently at 1-2lbs per week, so I think I got my diet under control.

Ok well you have my advice. I'm sure others will chime in. In any case, do your own research, be skeptical of all claims of both the efficacy/worthlessness and safety/danger of anything you might want to add, and ultimately, base your long-term decisions on the results of whatever n=1 experiments you decide to run. Good luck.
    The Champagne of Beards

I agree with what Rich said. Creatine's pretty good. It helps on max effort stuff and is dirt cheap. There's nothing magical about whey, but it's a convenient protein source. I've never used BCAA's but haven't heard anything bad about them.
    In matters of style, swim with the current. In matters of principle, stand like a rock.

This message has been intercepted by the NSA, the only branch of government that listens.

You are right to be skeptical, most of them are junk- but a few can be very helpful.

Creatine's a tried and true supplement supported by scientific studies. My personal experience with it is that it made me look more muscular, and also increased my strength-endurance and power output.

A big unexpected boost for me was supplementing with zinc daily. I was getting to a point where I was dragging everyday, tired, mentally fuzzy, and had lack of libido to boot. Started supplementing every evening with either zinc picolinate, or optizinc, and started feeling great - back to 'normal'. My zest for training came back too, I started looking forward to it instead of going through the motions.

yes to the whey protein and creatine. also, i'd recommend adding L-leucine. it's cheap and the only branched chain amino that, imo, is worth supplementing. take the leucine in your post workout protein shake. the best way to describe it is as leucine being the light switch while protein is the electricity. you need to hit the light switch if you want the protein to get to the muscles. leucine does this. as mentioned above, creatine is great and is one of the few supplements with scientific evidence of making a difference. cheap too. good luck man!
    "Always be yourself. Express yourself. Have faith in yourself. Do not go out and look for a successful personality and duplicate it." -Bruce Lee

Shop Now
    Whey Protein, Creatine, Vit D3, Magnesium, Zinc, Vit B6, Melatonin, maybe a BCAA drink to take during the workout..