Thread: A Perfectly Cooked Steak page

Jokaman70 is offline Senior Member

Question A Perfectly Cooked Steak

Primal Fuel
    I'm cooking 3 rib-eye steaks tonight and I treat them all the same, searing them in a hot pan for 2 minutes, flipping them, and immediately throwing them into an oven set at 425 degrees for 8 1/2 minutes...this will usually bring a steak to medium.

Well, one's a little thicker than the others so when I press into it with my finger I can tell it's a little too rare for my tastes. It's already been a couple minutes since I've shut the oven off but I throw the under-cooked steak back into the oven and begin eating the rest of my food. I come to remove the 3rd steak from the oven, maybe 10 minutes later, and it's the juiciest, most perfectly cooked steak I've ever had in my life!

Is there a term/technique which describes what I did by mistake? I wish I could duplicate that every time I cook meat.
    I began this Primal journey on December 30th, 2009 and in that time I've lost over 125 LBS.

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Steak juiciness comes from the breakdown of fats and proteins, so it could just be something with the meat more than the amount of temperature. I usually salt my meats for an hour before cooking them (allowing the water to be drawn out from the meat) and then rise and pat real dry before the cooking process begins. This always allows me to get a consistently juicy cut.

Meadow is offline Senior Member
    Do you normally 'rest' your meat after cooking?

We loosely cover steaks with foil for about 5-7 minutes after cooking. The steak continues cooking a bit so we take it out before it is done to our preferred level...the thickness of the meat will vary the amount of residual heat carried over. But resting is essential to any meat you cook that is say 1/2 inch thick or more.

ikaika is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, the meat guy at my work said that the best way to make a steak is to grill it (or cook it) as you regularly would, but while you're doing this, keep a warm pot of covered water on the stove. When your steak just about to be 'done,' you turn off the stove, dump the water, and place the steak in the warm pan, quickly covering it. Leave it for 10 minutes or so and it will 'rest,' finishing cooking perfectly.

-写

Sungrazer is offline Senior Member
    Yup, always rest the meat after cooking. Regardless if it is cooked in an oven, or on a grill. I usually grill a big chunk of ribeye ~1 kg (~2 lbs), but stick a cooking thermometer in it. When the internal temperature of the steak reaches about 60 degrees C (140 degress F). I wrap the steak, with thermometer, in tin foil and let it rest for 10 - 15 minutes while I prepare my salad. The result is always perfect, medium rare. Like this:

It's impossible to go wrong with grilling meat this way. Oh, and for the record - always sear your meat at the hot end of the grill, then move it to the "cold" end of the grill and put the lid on. Takes about one hour.
    Sometimes you need to be told the truth in order to be able to see it.

My journal

I see grain people...

Exist in shadow, drifting away.

Ernst is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Wow, that looks like some good ribeye sungrazer