Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Need help tweaking my diet... page

confused_monkey is offline Senior Member

Need help tweaking my diet...

This is what I currently eat. It is not completely paleo due to my extremely active lifestyle, but I want to be as paleo as possible (hoping you guys could help)....

Meal 1:
    1 cup egg whites
    1 whole egg
    1 cup blueberries
    1 cup broccoli
    1 ounce almonds
    1 tbsp olive oil
    1 cup white tea

Meal 2:
    1 cup greek yogurt
    2 tbsps peanut butter
    1 cup buckwheat (cooked)
    1 tbsp coconut oil

Meal 3:
    8 ounce chicken breast or beef or tuna
    3 cups spinach
    1 small apple
    1 ounce walnuts
    1tbsp coconut oil

Meal 4: Post-Workout: Shake

1 scoop whey
    1 medium sized banana
    1 cup coconut milk
    2 tbsp coconut flour

Meal 5:
    8 ounce chicken breast or beef or salmon
    1 cup quinioa
    1 red bell pepper
    1 whole avocado or olive oil

Meal 6:

1 cup quinioa
    1 cup coconut milk
    1 serving of raisins
    1 scoop whey

And these are my stats according to cron-o-meter:

General (89%)
    ===========================================
    Energy | 3062.8 kcal 118%
    Protein | 258.4 g 461%
    Carbs | 263.2 g 202%
    Fiber | 55.3 g 146%
    Fat | 111.5 g 172%
    Water | 1181.2 g 32%

Vitamins (99%)
    Vitamin A | 16151.0 IU 538%
    Folate | 585.3 g 146%
    B1 (Thiamine) | 1.3 mg 112%
    B2 (Riboflavin) | 3.0 mg 229%
    B3 (Niacin) | 61.9 mg 387%
    B5 (Pantothenic Acid)| 7.2 mg 143%
    B6 (Pyridoxine) | 4.5 mg 343%
    B12 (Cyanocobalamin) | 4.8 g 200%
    Vitamin C | 317.6 mg 353%
    Vitamin D | 177.5 IU 89%
    Vitamin E | 20.0 mg 133%
    Vitamin K | 648.6 g 541%

Minerals (99%)
    Calcium | 1299.0 mg 130%
    Copper | 2.1 mg 235%
    Iron | 18.5 mg 232%
    Magnesium | 669.7 mg 167%
    Manganese | 5.6 mg 245%
    Phosphorus | 2158.3 mg 308%
    Potassium | 4692.5 mg 100%
    Selenium | 163.4 g 297%
    Sodium | 1384.4 mg 92%
    Zinc | 11.0 mg 100%

Lipids (100%)
    Saturated | 34.8 g 174%
    Omega-3 | 3.4 g 210%
    Omega-6 | 18.1 g 106%
    Cholesterol | 484.6 mg 162%

What I am looking for in my diet:

-I want a diet that will help me gain at least 15 pounds of muscle weight (I read through most of the nutrition section and most people are looking to lose weight). I think I need much more calories than this, because I spend about five hours training for a very competitive soccer team.

-A diet low in PUFA's and AGE's. A very anti-inflammatory diet.

My problems:

-I suffer from dandruff and a stubborn skin condition. ( maybe some sort of fungus?)

-I have major digestive issues because of my high sugar diet as a kid, and repeated use of antibiotics for acne.

-I have IgG antibodies to egg whites, cows milk, and yogurt (maybe from over exposure; I tend to eat the same things everyday to meet my daily nutrients) These foods are very important for building muscle.

-I am currently being treated for dysbiosis. Apperently I am not producing any lactobacillus and have an overgrowth of the Bacillus species which is a potential pathogen.

Other symptoms:
    -Headaches
    -Palpitations
    -Breathing problems
    -lately, I have been getting up to urinate a lot, urine is a light greenish color, and it smells fruity sometimes.
    -mental lapses

Supplements I take:
    -Now Digestive Enzymes
    -OrthoBiotic Probiotic
    -Carlsons Omega-3 fish oil
    -Biocidin (anti-fungal/bacterial)

As you can see I am a complete mess, and I am terribly sorry for the long post. I just need some help and guidance with some of these problems that have been plaguing me for years. I have had blood tests and heart exams, and everything checks out fine. No doctor has helped, although my naturopath, which is costing me a fortune, has helped somewhat. I am only 21, I really want to start living!!!

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Are you a troll? That is the most anti-primal diet I've seen anyone post here.

Nvm I read some more lol.

Well if you want a diet low in PUFA's then get rid of the almonds, peanuts, avocados, and (maybe) olive oil.

Buckwheat is also a grain. Quinoa is fine, but borderline. Personally I have problems digesting it. Why don't you eat sweet potatoes instead?

You need more calories to build muscle. You're already getting plenty of protein and (more than enough?) carbs, so increase your fats.
    Last edited by rphlslv; 07-04-2010 at 06:52 PM.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    It's my understanding that buckwheat is actually a fruit: http://www.whfoods.com/genpage.php?t...dspice&dbid=11

I don't know that that makes it any more primal, but it is a good substitute for grains if you are looking for a higher-carb food. I'd be careful about the insulin spike, though. Glad you're here - I think you're in the right place to address the issues you're describing. Your diet doesn't look anti-primal to me - it's actually quite close to full-on primal, all you have to do is drop the quinoa, sub almond butter for the peanut butter, and maybe lose or reduce the buckwheat. Also, drop the egg whites and just eat more whole eggs at breakfast. The yolks have most of the nutrients, and they make the whites digestible. Whites alone are very hard to digest.

Like rphlslv said, you need fewer carbs and more fat - if you get rid of the grains you'll be halfway there. I'd especially look to up your intake of coconut, since it will give you more energy to burn. Eating whole eggs instead of whites will also up your fat intake nicely.

I'm now summoning Cillakat here to answer your concerns about digestive issues and other symptoms... *wrinkles nose a la Bewitched*

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Sorry, Hahah, I did come off a bit trollish. Like I said before I am looking to incorporate the primal way of eating to fix my digestive system while satisfying my athletic goals.

I just find it difficult to leave behind something like eggs, which according to my blood tests I have a low IgG reaction too. Dairy which I have seen many use to gain weight, isn't tolerated well by my system either.I read somewhere that everyone has IgG antibodies to the foods they consume the most of. So technically, is it natural for me to keep consuming these foods without having any adverse effects or should I lay off.

I will try my best to replace quinoa and buckwheat for sweet potatoes, but what other fats should I incorporate if I am to limit olive oil, avocadoes, and almonds. How much grams of fat do you recommend I eat. Sorry for the newb questions, I ordered the book, and it should be arriving soon.

P.S. Is there any website that lists fructose and PUFA content of various foods?

Again thanks a lot.

EDIT: thanks ommmmaggie, I know I am in the right place, I have read through about 45 pages of this forum, and although most of the information is overwhelming I find it extremely fascinating. I hope to learn a lot here.
    Last edited by confused_monkey; 07-04-2010 at 07:37 PM.

Yes, http://www.nutritiondata.com/

For fats eat coconuts (have you heard of creamed coconut? 1500+ calories per little box), beef fat, butter, etc. Just not too much pork/chicken fat because of the PUFA's. And of course fish! ... as much as it takes to get your calories up.

I'm not sure about the antibodies. I used to eat 12 eggs a day, so maybe I have some of that too. However I had no problems consuming eggs.

Coconut Cream, sounds delicious. I'll look into that. Thanks for that site, 2 more hours of research.

Quote Originally Posted by confused_monkey View Post
    Coconut Cream, sounds delicious. I'll look into that. Thanks for that site, 2 more hours of research.
    Creamed coconut actually. There's a difference.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Baked sweet potato with coconut oil & sea salt = heaven.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Beef/bison/elk (including organs and bone broth), fish, eggs, butter, coconut, vegetables, a bit of avocado and olive oil.

/my diet.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

chia is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    extensive anti biotics will eliminate the GOOD bacteria in your gut and you need to rebuild it. You must also have a yeast overgrowth due to this.. so you need to do a couple of things. Take a very good probiotic supplement, yogurt won't do it...AND, avoid ALL sugars to stop feeding the yeast in your gut. I would do NO grains...NO fruit...until this gets corrected. A good naturopathic Doctor could evaluate your conditions as well. Everything inside comes out through the skin so fungus out, means fungus in, hence the yeast. oh yes, ditch the peanut butter too.. high sugar.... pharmaceuticals do such damage that your digestive issues will need tender loving care to repair. (naturally, you should talk to a naturopathic Doctor before doing anything that could interact with any drugs you're on....)

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast