Thread: Anyone dedicate time to Neck, Forearms and Abs ? page

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member

Question Anyone dedicate time to Neck, Forearms and Abs ?

Primal Fuel
    If so what do you do, do you treat them like any other body part or do you work them differently ?

not on the rug is online now Senior Member
    I used to do shrugs for my traps, but not really any more. I don't work forearms specifically, but I do work my grip. CoC grippers, extensor work with bands and plate pinches primarily, with some fingertip pushups and sledgehammer walks thrown in. As for abs: planks, leg raises, side planks and some hyperextensions for the lower back. Not all the time though
    I have a lot of hard miles on my body from before I realized I'm not 100% invulnerable. Now I just think I'm 75% invulnerable. -Mr. Anthony

Give me a spouse/life-partner who I don't want to punch in the throat when she talks. -Canio6

I do. If "neck" includes the spine, "forearms" encompasses the grip, and "abs" means the core, I actually consider these body parts extremely important, not so much for impressive strength feats at the gym but just for good health in general. The term "functional strength" gets thrown around so much these days it's almost meaningless, but I think they apply very much to these particular areas. You can't get more dysfunctional than your average office worker suffering carpal tunnel syndrome from tapping at the keyboard all day, slumped over all the time with terrible kyphotic posture due to weak core and spinal muscles. I'm sure we all know people who wake up with lower back pain, headaches and a crick in their neck every time they sleep in an awkward position too.

Anyway, for the neck/back I do bridges, front neck bridges and wrestler's bridges, mainly.

For the forearms, lately I've been focusing on towel hangs. Sometimes I play around with CoC grippers when I'm watching TV or something, but it's not a regular part of my workout.

For abs I do different leg raise variations and dragon flags.

Michael S is offline Member
    Glute-Ham Raises, Reverse Hypers, and Ab Wheel Rollouts on a....

Bosu Ball.

But seriously, I've been doing rollouts to improve my bracing strength under the squat bar. Yes. it works.
    Old man trying to stay awake.
    5'8"
    156 lbs

eKatherine is offline Senior Member
    To increase flexibility in the neck and cervical spine...
    1. lean your head back
    2. put your thumbs or palms under your chin
    3. push back

Gradually you will increase the flex. It's safe, honest.

RichMahogany is offline Senior Member
    Nope. Zero. None.
    The Champagne of Beards

miata is online now Senior Member
    Plank variations, renegade rows, myotatic crunches, hanging leg lifts.

The more I lift though the less time I have for these other things.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Marks Daily Apple Forum mobile app

OldSchhool is offline Senior Member
    Neck I do two 30/30/30 sets of Head raises using some weights wrapped in a towel for neck- total time taken about 4 mins.
    Abs I do one set of Crunches using the 30/30/30 on a Ab machine- Total time 90 secs.
    Forearms take me the longest as I do non-stop sets of Wrist curls, reverse wrist curls and Grip squeezes till my forearms resemble Popeye's then I stop- Maybe 5-10 minutes.

seaweed is offline Senior Member
    Neck I don't exercise that I am aware of. Forearms I do stair walks with a pair of 21kg dumbbells. Plus all the other associated stuff that helps co-incidentally with grip strengthening things like lunges with heavy dumbbells. abs right now I do roman chair leg raises, ab wheel. I think too that stiff arm pushdowns to forearms and upper abs.

bitterray is offline Junior Member
    yes,You can't get more dysfunctional than your average office worker suffering carpal tunnel syndrome from tapping at the keyboard all day, slumped over all the time with terrible kyphotic posture due to weak core and spinal muscles. I'm sure we all know people who wake up with lower back pain, headaches and a crick in their neck every time they sleep in an awkward position too.thanks