Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mussels page

Metismomma is offline Senior Member

Question Mussels

Shop Now
    So I have 5lbs of mussels sitting in my fridge waiting to be cooked.
    And how do I do that exactly?
    Calm the f**k down.

Grol is offline Senior Member
    If you don't mind cooking with a little wine, look up a recipe for Posillipo.

Or steamed in coconut milk curry...

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    This is a Jamie Oliver recipe (I presume they are in shell?) and is the best I've ever done with mussels. 'Wok-Cooked Fragrant Mussels'
    The recipe is for 4.5lbs of mussels so you shouldn't have to change proportions.
    olive oil
    2 cloves garlic finely sliced
    3 sticks lemon grass finely sliced
    2 fresh chillies red green or both
    3 Tbs finely sliced ginger
    2 handfuls fresh coriander/cilantro pounded or finely chopped
    1 Tbs sesame seed oil
    salt and freshly ground pepper
    5 spring onions finely sliced (scallions in USA I think)
    juice of 3 limes
    1 can coconut milk
    Place your debearded mussels with a couple of lugs of olive oil in a large very hot wok or pot. Shake around and add the rest of the ingredients, apart from the lime juice and coconut milk. Keep turning over until all the mussels have opened - throw away any that remain closed. Squeeze in your lime juice and add your coconut milk. Bring to the boil and serve immediately.

I've always liked this one because the flavours really get into the shells and mussels. I don't like bland flavours anyway, this has got kick and is very primal! I am sure you will get lots more ideas from PBers.

Mainer is offline Senior Member
    All good recipes or you could simply steam them until they open and serve them with butter for dipping!
    You'll never see the light if you're in someone else's shadow, or said another way, life is like a dog sled team, if you're not the lead dog, the scenery never changes

Because I'm impatient *blush* I steamed them in a cup of water after cleaning them, ended up with about a lb of good mussels. Shucked them, and am now making a stew? Sauteed onion, carrot,yellowpepper and celery, added mussel meat and "liquor" and can of coconut milk. Lets hope its edible

btw, I'm never buying mussels like that again. My house stinks to high heaven. Next time, I will either buy frozen mussels or canned.
    Last edited by Metismomma; 07-04-2010 at 05:56 PM.
    Calm the f**k down.

Ollie is offline Senior Member
    I love mussels!

I always fry them in some butter and either eat on their own or eat them with a few rations of bacon. Both in the morning and usually with coffee.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    My husband made me moules mariniere on Saturday. It was delicious. He felt bad when their shells opened though, LOL.
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

tamo42 is offline Senior Member
    Mussels steamed in white wine, mussels steamed in water served with drawn butter, mussels steamed with random liquid along with garlic, onions, and whatever else is handy... it's all good!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    I would not do a stew, I think they are much better just cooked till they open/ change color, like all shellfish, then eaten in some kind of wine / herb / butter sauce which could go a lot of different directions. I had a great meal of mussels a couple of days ago. What's more primal than a bowl of molluscs? Except raw ones hacked off the rocks, but let's not go there...

The stew was..not great. It could have been great but the mussels just tasted off. I didn't get sick, but I also didn't let anyone else eat any..just in case. Threw out the rest I would love to find some really fresh ones because I do love mussels. You know what I would really love to do? Go clam digging again, we have freshwater clams around here. Those are some tasty noms when fresh!

Oh I'm drooling just thinking about it!!
    Calm the f**k down.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast