Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Help with crockpot, please! page

Rivvin is offline Senior Member

Help with crockpot, please!

I am starting to get over budget here and really need to start saving.

I figure for a lone bachelor, making more crockpot based meals once or twice a week will really save me money and I can let it cook while I am at work.

The problem, however, is that while there are tons of slowcooker recipes out there, 75% of them are non-primal with stupid stuff in them like cream of *, etc. and etc.

I really want to find some recipes that will fill a very active young man with a good sized portion for three nights. If you know a site that has good, primal/paleo crockpot recipes or have some of your own... please share!

peril is offline Senior Member
    My wife recently start using the crockpot to cook legs of lamb. I think she browns the leg first, rubs on a bit of salt and pepper, insets slivers of garlic into the flesh and tosses in a sprig of rosemary. The trick is to put an inverted butter plate in the crockpot and sit the leg on that. Of course, collect all the juices and use the dress the sliced lamb and veggies. No need to thicken.

Only problem I have with this is I do the dishes and the crockpot can be a pain to clean

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Stew, chili, chicken pot "pie", casserole... which do you want?
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Rivvin is offline Senior Member
    All of them, naiad! I need to start building a good list to keep in my recipe folder...

Peril, I have never tried leg of lamb at all much less in a crockpot but it sounds delicious. 8 hours on low?

Selah is offline Senior Member
    Rivvin,
    I have a link of like a gajillion crock pot recipes. I can post it if you like but I cannot tell you that they are all primal/paleo. You would have to pick and choose......but there are MANY to choose from.

peril is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Rivvin View Post
    All of them, naiad! I need to start building a good list to keep in my recipe folder...

Peril, I have never tried leg of lamb at all much less in a crockpot but it sounds delicious. 8 hours on low?
    That's about right. I'll check with her

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    The crockpot is my favorite appliance. I roast chickens in a crockpot (no liquid), make stews, chilis, etc... The recipes are on the archives of my blog, but not all are primal. Here are some to start:
    Chicken cacciatore: http://amoderngal.com/2009/10/26/cro...en-cacciatore/
    Crockpot pork tenderloin: http://amoderngal.com/2009/10/06/cro...rk-tenderloin/
    Healthy hamburger stew (I would double the meat, omit beans now): http://amoderngal.com/2009/01/19/hea...amburger-stew/

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Italian style stew:
    1-2 lb hunk of beef, pork, lamb, goat, or game roast
    1/2 carrot, cut into medallion
    1 celery stalk, sliced
    1/2 onion, sliced
    1 head garlic, minced, leaving 3 or 4 cloves whole
    1 can crushed tomato or 5 roma tomatoes roughly chopped
    1/2 can tomato paste
    2 c beef stock
    1 tsp oregano, 2 tbsp basil, 7-10 grinds black pepper, 1 tsp red pepper flakes, 1 tbsp parsley, 1/2 tsp salt
    Sear the outside of the roast, put it and the juices in the crockpot, along with everything except the spices and tomato paste. Cook on high for and hour and a half, add the spices. Cook for another hour and a half. Remove the roast and cut into bite size chunks. pour the chunks and juices back into the crock pot, cook until too your desired doneness.

Tomatillo Stew
    1 lb beef, goat, lamb, or game
    1/4 head garlic
    2 lb tomatillo, chopped
    1 zuke, roughly chopped
    2 jalapenos
    salt, pepper
    1 c water

Chop meat into bite sized chunks and brown. Pour meat and juices into crockpot. Add everything but the salt, pepper, and zukes, and cook until tomatillos dissolve (Approx 2-3 hours on High). Add zukes and season as desired, cook until zukes are al dente.

You can easily make your favorite chili recipe in the crockpot, just thicken by cooking it longer rather than masa. Real chili doesn't have beans anyway.

Chicken pot "pie"
    1 lb chicken, chopped
    1 carrot, chopped
    2 celery stalk, chopped
    1 onion, diced
    1/2 head garlic, minced
    2 c chicken stock
    Pureed cauliflower, to thicken

Cook chicken until opaque, add to crock pot with all but the cauliflower. Cook until chicken is done and veggies are tender. Add cauliflower to thicken, turn to warm. Line a cookie pan with more of the cauliflower, cook until crustlike. Pour stew into bowl, break off chunks of cauliflower and put on top.

I'll have to look up my casserole and crockpot lasagna.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

Dualhammers is offline Senior Member
    Recipes are great, but the Crockpot can make some really simple meals. One good one is pork shoulder.

Step 1. Insert Pork Shoulder
    Step 2. Add seasoning - I like a tiny bit of honey, some cloves, garlic, salt, pepper, lemon. You can add spices if you prefer something closer to BBQ or smoke-house (Cayenne is a good choice, or even a Cayenne rub)
    Step 3. Cook.

Or, you can go even easier and just make a chicken

Step 1. Buy whole chicken (The roasting ones)
    Step 2. Rub with olive oil (any oil works but I prefer this: heat is low enough to avoid spoiling)
    Step 3. Rub with spices (Lemon Zest (shaved rind), rosemary, salt, pepper, and garlic works well)
    Step 4. Cook
    Step 5. Take out bird, eat what you want, pull off rest of meat, store for later.

I am all about simple meals. These are not recipes but my own creations. I encourage you to experiment, but if you need more help I will try to post more.

lecz0r is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Rivvin - I hear ya, I'm also a bachelor and in money saving mode. Here is a strategy I use that will provide me dinner for a week(5-8 meals) or so:

Whole chicken (bonus if it comes with giblet!)
    a few lbs of quality beef/pork/lamb whatever (but tougher, cheaper cuts for stewing)
    lots of veggies (carrots, celery, asparagus, whatever you like)
    lots of your favorite spices (curry, coriander, oregano, cinnamon, bay leaf, etc)

Wash the whole chicken, completely dry it off(important). Mix a bunch of spices and rub every last inch of the chicken once its all dry. Stick it in an oven at 475 for 20 minutes. You can also do this in a crock pot but I've never done it myself and I love the way the chicken comes out, plus its very quick. Chicken plus stir-fried veggies will feed ya well for a couple days.

Meanwhile take all the bones and drippings and put em in your crockpot, pour enough cold filtered water in to submerge them (usually 3 or 5 cups in my case), let soak for an hour. Add in spices and some veggies. Let it stew overnight or whatever, 8-20hrs. Strain it all out, eat the veggies if you like... got yourself a ton of chicken broth.

Take the broth (cut it in half with added water again if you really want to stretch it) add a ton of veggies plus your stewing meats and cook again overnight or a day... tada! a couple more meals

Might seem like a lot of steps but frankly its like 30min of work spread over a week, costs like $25-35 and feeds you for a good long while. Not to mention it all tastes damned good.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast