Thread: Acne Breakout page

maikasmum is offline Junior Member

Acne Breakout

Primal Fuel
    Dear Mark,
    I have been mainly Primal since January 2013. For the last few months I have been battling the worst acne of my adult life. I am wondering if this could be due to too much protein, increased sensitivity to wheat and therefore a reaction to it from the times I fall off the wagon, a new sensitivity to dairy?
    I ditched all external chemicals a few months ago. I've started taking apple cider vinegar before meals and a probiotic. So far there is no improvement.
    I eat lots of nuts, eggs, avocados, green leafy veg, drink green tea.
    i'm considering doing a parasite cleanse, a liver cleanse and eliminating dairy.
    I'd be very grateful for your input.
    Emma

namelesswonder is offline Moderator
    I'd suggest you start with these:
    -eliminate wheat 100% for one month
    -eliminate dairy 100% for one month
    -reduce nut intake (many people find that too many makes them break out)
    Journal on depression/anxiety
    Currently trying to figure out WTF to eat (for IBS-C).

Abyss is online now Member
    I get acne for about two weeks, along with copious mucus production, after eating one pizza slice's worth of cheese. I echo the suggestion eliminating all dairy for a month to see if that helps.

For me I can have goat and sheep dairy just fine but cow dairy, processed or grass-fed raw, causes problems. You may differ though. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by Abyss View Post
    I get acne for about two weeks, along with copious mucus production, after eating one pizza slice's worth of cheese. I echo the suggestion eliminating all dairy for a month to see if that helps.

For me I can have goat and sheep dairy just fine but cow dairy, processed or grass-fed raw, causes problems. You may differ though. Good luck!
    But I never had an issue with dairy before I went Primal. Is it even possible that eliminating some foods can cause sensitivities to others?

Abyss is online now Member
    Allergies and sensitivities are funny things, you can develop them after being exposed for many years. I wasn't dairy sensitive when I was a kid. My mother is becoming allergic to things even in her 50s. It might just be a coincidence...

As for gaining a sensitivity by eliminating foods, I don't know about that. People have reported that they stopped being sensitive after eating paleo, and I know that adding foods can increase sensitivity (leaky gut from eating wheat), but I have not heard of the reverse. Of course I'm no expert, so make sure to take what I say here with a grain of salt.

I still recommend to cut out all dairy for month since it is a know cause of acne. If it doesn't help then well, you'll have saved some money on milk and cheese right?

Yes I suppose I'll have to bite the bullet and give it a go. Cheese is my last guilty pleasure left in life and I love it sooooo much. I really hope it's not the issue.

I looked better when I ate 4-8 slices of bread every day, mountains of potatoes, pasta etc and binge-drank three times a week! Now I'm super-healthy I look horrendous

It could be too the heat & therefore more sweat is also irritating your skin. I echo what others have suggested-no dairy & certainly no wheat. I have been primal for about 3 months now & my skin is finally clearing up the way it was in my early 20s. Of course, the last 2 weeks I have had almost no dairy whatsoever & I have not eaten wheat since day 1 of turning primal. Just keep experimenting with various ideas regarding your diet & you will figure it out. Also, I recommend washing your face before bed every night (if you don't already) & applying whatever it is you like for your skin. I use a neem-based face & body butter & have noticed that my skin is not only clearer but I swear I am looking younger around the eyes -yippee! I also use a neem based, gentle soap when I wash.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

Knifegill is online now Senior Member
    Are you taking fish oil pills, any supplements with oils in them, or any other rancid oils? That's what gives me boils/zits. That and any trans-fat or hydrogenated oils.

Turquoisepassion:
    Knifegill is christened to be high carb now!
    notontherug:
    the buttstuff...never interested.
    He gives me Lamprey Kisses in the midnight sea
    Flubby tubby gums latching onto me
    For all that I've done wrong, I mastodon something right...

My pony picture thread http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread82786.html

zannep is offline Junior Member
    I've gone thru this battle too. I quite oddly found that veggie high in Vit A were problems - sweet potato, yam and winter squash gave me horrendous zits on the sides of my cheeks near my mouth. I think pumpkin too, but haven't confirmed the link -am enjoying clear skin too much. I also have problems with chicken eggs - I think it's the high level of iodine added to the feed since cage free open range chicken eggs are ok. Zits will be at the temples. Then there is veg with estrogen - parsley, ginger, soy and the like - like firecrackers on my face - mainly on jaw and neck. Dairy is taboo in all it's forms (except ghee that's scrupulously clarified) which has the added benefit of eliminating my joint pain so don't miss dairy on two scores. Things that help are magnesium, green tea and lots of water.

Sent from my iPad using Marks Daily Apple Forum

meepster is online now Senior Member
    Dairy gave me acne even before I went Primal. Try eliminating it and see what happens.