Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: wine page

robss is offline Senior Member

wine

Primal Fuel
    i noticed that wine (i drink either chardonnay or pinot grigio) has few carbs. if i'm going to get a drink, i assume wine is more primal than beer. i was just wondering if drinking wine often would derail my primalness/primal progress?

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, you should treat the alcohol in wine as 1) a low grade poison and 2) basically the same thing as carbs. Plenty of beer guts have been formed from wine, including mine.
    Drinking is not primal, not recommended especially if you are going for weight loss. So, enjoy it but don't pretend it's good for you! Cheers.

gn
    gn is offline Junior Member
    you may think of it (and perhaps any plant matter) as a 'hormesis": poisons in small quantities makes us more adapted (=stronger)

peril is offline Senior Member
    On the other hand, studies have shown that those eating a standard (more precisely uncontrolled) diet derive a longevity benefit from one or two drinks a day. While claims of benefit have been made especially for wine, I don't believe these have been substantiated. In short, if you wish to have a drink, choose your own poison but have it in moderation. For me its red wine as its low carb and contains antioxidants. Probably kidding myself on the antioxidant benefit, but I'm maintaining my weight so no problem

hutax is offline Member
    Having a glass of wine with a meal occasionally isn't going to harm anyone. Mark states in the PB that he has wine with a meal. Wine is not poison, that is just rediculus.

Suse is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by hutax View Post
    Having a glass of wine with a meal occasionally isn't going to harm anyone. Mark states in the PB that he has wine with a meal. Wine is not poison, that is just rediculus.
    have enough of it and it is... you must be one of the lucky ones that hasnt had a hangover

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Of course it's a poison, it will kill you in large doses / long term and make you sick in moderate doses. In small doses though it adds pleasure to many people's lives.

robss is offline Senior Member
    So the calories consumed from alcohol should be considered carbs?? Sorry, I'm in college, so drinking is very common, and I'm just trying to find the most primal way to have a drink

DeadRockstar is offline Junior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/wine-2/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/

Also I'm sure alcohol itself cannot be stored as fat, but is a strong precursor to fat storage. High carb drinks and the fact that guys tend to consume alcohol along with junk food is the main problem. The calories do matter, just fit them into your budget.

My favourite way to drink and stay lean is to consume my protein/EFAs for the day before going out and then letting whatever happens when I'm out be the carbs etc. It's not ideal, but it's a hell of a lot better than average and allows you to have some fun and drink if you want without gaining weight/messing up your insulin sensitivity.

GoJenGo is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by DeadRockstar View Post
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/wine-2/

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/low-carb-alcohol/

Also I'm sure alcohol itself cannot be stored as fat, but is a strong precursor to fat storage. High carb drinks and the fact that guys tend to consume alcohol along with junk food is the main problem. The calories do matter, just fit them into your budget.

My favourite way to drink and stay lean is to consume my protein/EFAs for the day before going out and then letting whatever happens when I'm out be the carbs etc. It's not ideal, but it's a hell of a lot better than average and allows you to have some fun and drink if you want without gaining weight/messing up your insulin sensitivity.
    Seems like a pretty good idea to me. I'll do that this weekend so that there won't be too much guilt if I have a glass of wine with dinner. Guilt and perfectionism tend to derail me - I love that Mark addresses that repeatedly!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast