Thread: Hunger/Hypoglycemia post-meal, then feel great page

syzchan is offline Member

Hunger/Hypoglycemia post-meal, then feel great

Shop Now
    Was hoping someone could shed some light as to why I sometimes get this feeling after high-fat meals.

This morning, ate the following:
    1/2 cup blueberries
    1/4 cup mascarpone cheese
    1/4 cup whipping cream in 3 cups of coffee
    small amounts of lobster and pork skins from a roasted pig (leftovers of a banquet my mom attended)

Fitday estimate: Cal 612, F/C/P = 70%/23%/7%

I ate all but half the cream & a cup of coffee at 9am and felt satisfied. At 11am, was hungry again and feeling tired so drank that 3rd cup of coffee. But from about 12-1pm, felt famished, light-headed and tired, and dreamt about eating these chinese BBQ buns in the fridge (I'm visiting my parents hence these foods in the fridge).

But at 1pm, a weird little gurgle went on in my stomach and most of the feelings of hunger, lightheadness and tiredness went away. I feel great! Like I could do an all day fast!

I've been feeling like this at times after a high-fat meal and can't explain it. Would love to skip the hunger sensation and go straight to the feeling-great sensation. Is it the dairy/caffeine causing insulin spikes causing hypoglycemia? Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks =)

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Perhaps eating more protein would help with hunger. If I don't have some protein but I have lots of fruit, I'm starving all day. Also how long have you been doing the very high fat thing? It can take a little while to get good at digesting and metabolizing fats if you haven't been consuming enough all of your life. Also it sounds like you might be malnourished. That breakfast has virtually no micronutrients. Lack of vitamins and minerals can impede all sorts of metabolic processes, and digestion is a fairly rigorous one.
    Last edited by Stabby; 07-04-2010 at 01:38 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

syzchan is offline Member
    Ive been eating high fats for the last 6 weeks, averaging about 75%F/15%P/10%C. Before that, I had been trying to be primal for about a year now, but more like 50%F/35%P/15%C, with many, many slip-ups between Jan-May 2010. But since the last week of May, I've been very good, but am eating lots of dairy (whipping cream & high-fat cheeses & yogurts), berries almost daily (1/2 C), and occasionally nuts and dark chocolate. Not much vegetables, but I'm working on that!

Metismomma is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by syzchan View Post

I've been feeling like this at times after a high-fat meal and can't explain it. Would love to skip the hunger sensation and go straight to the feeling-great sensation. Is it the dairy/caffeine causing insulin spikes causing hypoglycemia? Any insights would be appreciated! Thanks =)
    Try skipping the coffee one day and see if it makes a difference. I have that happen when I drink more than one cup, with or without cream.
    Calm the f**k down.

AuH2Ogirl is offline Senior Member
    Agree with Metismomma - for me caffeine=hunger if I go over 1 cup of caffeinated coffee.

prib81 is offline Senior Member
    I'll third the recommendation to cut the coffee. Personally, caffeine jacks up my metabolism and hunger signals too. This effect is much more noticeable after going primal.