Thread: How much of the body should be exposed to the sun? page

outxbreak is offline Junior Member

How much of the body should be exposed to the sun?

Primal Fuel
    This 2006 publication says, "Ex-posure to direct sunlight typically of no more than 5 to 10 minutes on the arms and legs between the hours of 10 AM and 3 PM during the spring, summer, and fall will preventvitamin D inadequacy"

Just wondering if there was any new research out there that said more skin needed to be exposed?

For example, I remember Mark's post here that said the biggest increases in skin cancer in Ireland are occurring in clothed body parts, which would present a challenge to us females.

MEversbergII is offline Senior Member
    This gets linked frequently: You Need This Much Vitamin D Every Day - YouTube

Don't know if he's on the level, but it is at least one idea.

M.

meepster is offline Senior Member
    I wish I lived somewhere warm enough to expose significant portions of my body to the sun.... (brrrr)

I wish I wasn't so flabby so I could do the same!

M.

Terry H is offline Senior Member
    Be very careful about which part of the anatomy is exposed. Too long and you might end up with the dreaded Rocky Mountain oysters.

Jennifla is offline Senior Member
    I was hiking 8-10 hours per week in the morning, in Florida, and had my vit D level checked on a whim. (I was tired all the time). Last year it tested at 18, low normal was 30. I am supplementing now and my levels are at 35. My doc wants them over 50. I was pretty surprised my level was so low, because I was spending more time outside than anyone else I know. My teenage daughters are also below normal. If you are concerned, get yourself tested. I have a local hospital that has a monthly outreach lab where you can order a few blood tests for low cost and you don't even need a doctor's prescription. The vit D test cost something like 20 dollars, and they mail the results directly to the patient.
    As God is my witness, I'll never be hungry again.

So I don't think I have ever had any real sun exposure on my chest or back - fatty, lardo, etc. Decided to give it a go at the park this weekend since I found a sunny, secluded spot. Evidently 30 minutes is enough to burn the back a bit, but only part of my chest. Legs didn't burn at all, in spite of having same exposure time (or more, really, as I was wearing shorts all day).

Need to figure out how this tanning thing works.

M.

yodiewan is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MEversbergII View Post
    So I don't think I have ever had any real sun exposure on my chest or back - fatty, lardo, etc. Decided to give it a go at the park this weekend since I found a sunny, secluded spot. Evidently 30 minutes is enough to burn the back a bit, but only part of my chest. Legs didn't burn at all, in spite of having same exposure time (or more, really, as I was wearing shorts all day).

Need to figure out how this tanning thing works.

M.
    Good on your for braving the elements and getting your D. But not so good for getting burned.

I know your comment was probably tongue-in-cheek, but: Tanning works similarly to weight training. Progressively increase your time in the sun. Your legs didn't burn because you've probably been wearing shorts for a few months and they've slowly built up a tan. Try 5 minutes your first few times out. If you don't burn or get red, increase by another 5 minutes or so.
    Last edited by yodiewan; 06-30-2014 at 06:08 PM.

Noctiluca is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifla View Post
    I was hiking 8-10 hours per week in the morning, in Florida, and had my vit D level checked on a whim. (I was tired all the time). Last year it tested at 18, low normal was 30. I am supplementing now and my levels are at 35. My doc wants them over 50. I was pretty surprised my level was so low, because I was spending more time outside than anyone else I know. My teenage daughters are also below normal. If you are concerned, get yourself tested. I have a local hospital that has a monthly outreach lab where you can order a few blood tests for low cost and you don't even need a doctor's prescription. The vit D test cost something like 20 dollars, and they mail the results directly to the patient.
    It's a good idea to look into the rest of the pathway too. I don't know much about it, really haven't read up but I know Vit D synthesis requires cholesterol be available too. There may be other things like that that may contribute to a low level.