Any ladies with weird thyroid numbers?
    I hope it's ok to ask here.
    My TSH IS 1.2
    And free t4 1.1

Doc wants me on meds... Anyone?
    Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Marks Daily Apple Forum

emmie is offline Senior Member
    I don't know why your doctor would want you on meds. Your TSH at 1.2 is considered 'ideal.' I have no idea what your T4 number means as the lab range is necessary for evaluation, but, again, the initial diagnosis depends on the TSH, and yours is perfect.

I've been hypothyroid for about 15 years, so I have some experience with this stuff.

zuzanac is offline Member
    Thank you emie.
    I have all symptoms of hypo and since the free t4 is low normal range, she thinks .25 Levo is something to try..

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    I would require a full panel prior to any decisions. For all we know you may just need more selenium.

zuzanac is offline Member
    I will look into it.
    Thank you

emmie is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I know that there is 'subclinical hypothyroidism' when the labs don't yet reflect the deficiency, but just that low T4 in the absence of a full panel doesn't seem worth starting Rx hormones. Both of my endos have told me that once you begin, it's for life. When the body receives the supplemental hormones, it adjusts to them so that they are then a necessity.

In your situation, I'd get more tests before beginning. Keep in mind that although you're symptomatic, thyroid symptoms are vague and can be due to other sources. That's why it's so difficult to get a diagnosis when the labs don't reflect the problem.

It's also possible that your doctor is absolutely right, but a little more testing wouldn't hurt. The minimum TSH level for hypo is 3.0, but most doctors will treat someone who has a TSH as low as 2.0 AND is symptomatic. Lower than 2.0 I've never known a doctor to prescribe.

Ron_Swanson is online now Senior Member
    For an optimal thyroid take in proper amounts of selenium and iodine. It is different for everyone in the amounts but Iodine: Why You Need It, By: Dr. David Brownstein might help. Also proper intake of carbs around 150 daily will help as well. Stay away from gluten, the proteins that make up gluten can interfere with thyroid hormones in some people.
    My book Fix Your Gut is available on Amazon http://www.amazon.com/Fix-Your-Gut-D...s=fix+your+gut. The book price is $6.99.

Also, I have a fundraiser for my new book Fix Your Mitochondria: https://www.indiegogo.com/projects/f...ergy/x/3599154. Please donate if you can.

www.fixyourgut.com
    Twitter: @fixyourgutjb

Neckhammer is offline Senior Member
    ^Be careful with iodine....or any other micronutrient. Quite easy to overdose if you are not sure that you are deficient to start with. I would recommend extensive testing to assure a deficiency before ever considering a high dose iodine program. There are plenty of people dismissing obvious signs of toxic loads as "detox" in these cases.

magicmerl is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Neckhammer View Post
    ^Be careful with iodine....or any other micronutrient. Quite easy to overdose if you are not sure that you are deficient to start with. I would recommend extensive testing to assure a deficiency before ever considering a high dose iodine program. There are plenty of people dismissing obvious signs of toxic loads as "detox" in these cases.
    Given that the RDA is 150micrograms, which is ridiculously low. The Japanese consume more than 50 times that amount daily on average without ill effect. I personally take about 20 times that daily (3ml).

Neckhammer is right to be cautious of megadoses, but we're talking about taking 100 times or more to get to that level.
    Disclaimer: I eat 'meat and vegetables' ala Primal, although I don't agree with the carb curve. I like Perfect Health Diet and WAPF Lactofermentation a lot.

Griff's cholesterol primer
    5,000 Cal Fat <> 5,000 Cal Carbs
    Winterbike: What I eat every day is what other people eat to treat themselves.
    TQP: I find for me that nutrition is much more important than what I do in the gym.
    bloodorchid is always right

Grassfed4me is offline Member
    If you decide to take thyroid replacement hormone, take Armour Thyroid. It's natural; desiccated pig thyroid and has both T3 & T4. Synthroid is synthetic and only T4. I felt much better once I switched.

Mercury toxicity also causes thyroid problems. Get rid of the mercury to heal your thyroid.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast