Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: help with blood pressure page 2

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Shop Now
    I second Egoldstein. Blood pressure, unless there is kidney disease present, will be very senstive to potassium:sodium balance, magensium:calcium balance and vitamin D.

First be sure there is no underlying kidney disease.

• Replete 25(OH)D levels rapidly (see my document below)

• Optimize Na:K levels (see doc below.....ideally you'll simply eliminate 'added' salt, and up K intake via prodce and/or organ meats, and veggie peeling broths, but if you must, some potassium gluconate powder - iherb.com - can be used to make up a shortfall....again *only* if you're sure there are no underlying kidney issues)

• Optimize Mg intake (starting off with jigsaw health magnesium with SRT will insure that you don't run into any of the typical issues with mg and bowel tolerance....once you're stable, then you can mess around with cheaper forms of Mg)

• Be sure you're not taking in excessive calcium via dairy

• Exercise intensively (with dr's okay..._)

• Be sure sleep apnea is a non-issue. If there is any possibility that it is, get a sleep study done asap and get a C-PAP machine....and use it *every* night.

NTBCAMA

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

tooround is offline Senior Member
    jigsaw health magnesium with SRT is a brand? continuous release?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    yup. i almost hate that I have to use it as it's so $$...but I can't tolerate any other magnesium and simply cannot meet my body's needs through food even with careful attention.

http://www.jigsawhealth.com/supplements/magnesium

They very often have $10 off coupons that they send via email and post via facebook and twitter.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...ressure-and-PB

I had a similar question (see the link). A low-carb, primal-esque diet made a QUICK differnece in my dad's blood pressure (among other good things for his health), along w/ supping Mag, CoQ10, vit. C, D, E along w/ fish oil. (The thread linked above has lots of helpful recs.) Magnesium deficiency is the major thing I've seen related to high blood pressure. Good luck figuring it out!!

Paleo Man is offline Senior Member
    I've known people whose Mg deficiency symptoms got worse on supplementation with inorganic forms of Mg. I assume the laxative effects caused Mg losses that exceeded the gains from the supplementation. And magnesium oxide is reputed to be virtually nonabsorbable.

An academic physician friend, a former Mg researcher, suggested that if inorganic Mg such as MgSO4 is used orally, that it be used in very tiny quantities multiple times per day. He says that too much at any given time will just pass via the kidneys if not via laxative effect. This doc also advised that blood serum testing for Mg can be nearly useless for detecting unhealthy Mg deficiencies as there is often little or no correlation between the serum Mg levels and the oft deficient intracellular Mg levels in critical tissue, e.g. cardiac tissue.

Recovering from a Mg deficiency is like trying to fill a plastic jug by pouring water over a pin hole in the jug, only a little bit can get in each time and pouring more volume each time won't necessarily fill the jug faster. The process can be slow and tedious.

With magnesium taurate or magnesium glycinate, I've had no problems with laxative effect at all. I've also experimented with transdermal (thru the skin) absorption of "magnesium oil" which is actually an aqueous solution of MgCl, bypassing any laxative effect.

The eccentric neurosurgeon who invented the TENS unit, Norman Shealey MD PhD, did a small study on transdermal absorption of Mg that can be accessed on the internet, showing considerable efficacy. But I haven't seen any replication yet.

john b is offline Junior Member
    again i just want to thank evryone for taking the time to reply to me especially those who wrote the very detailed posts......i thik i'm really salt sensitive because i've been eating a lot of bacon since going primal and in the 2 days since cutting it out i have found my bp is starting to drop.....i've bought the book that paleo man suggested and when i receive it i will begin supplementing with mg......again thanks for all the responses i now feel like i'm prepared to get this under control thank u guys so much

periquin is offline Senior Member
    Most people respond well to topical magnesium and that matrix seems to work quicker and more efficiently to achieve proper magnesium levels.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12