Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Skipping breakfast thyroid\metabolism page

Djzander is offline Member

Skipping breakfast thyroid\metabolism

Shop Now
    Hey guys still new to a lot of these concepts and have been able to shake off most of my prior beliefs in CW, but I am still troubled by the idea of skipping breakfast. I feel like every place I read, not just CW hotspots, claim that breakfast is CRUCIAL for keeping metabolism elevated as well as thyroid. I read all over the place lines like " People who skip breakfast are much more likely to gain fat". What gives?

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Interesting...I feel like I've gained fat since I stopped eating breakfast (started eating it again yesterday) and I suspect I have thyroid issues. Curious to read what others have to say.

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I'm just starting to get my thyroid issues looked at, but I've been in the habit of skipping lunch, and often breakfast. So far no negative effects. The scale went down a tad (yay!) so I'm gonna stick with this.

I did just finish breakfast today. On weekends I have the time for it, and it's probably good to change up the routine once in a while. Probably will skip lunch and do a late dinner.

Darrin is offline Senior Member
    My understanding from the "breakfast is essential" camp is that, by going such a long period of time without food, your body goes into starvation mode, storing fat away in case a famine is imminent. Like most things CW, this is based on studies finding that people who ate breakfast lost more weight than those who didn't. But correlation is not causation.

IF has been more rigorously tested than "six-meals-a-day" (although still not enough), but so far the results look promising. Unlike CW would have you believe, you are highly unlikely to reduce your metabolism and start storing fat away during a short-term fast (i.e. skipping breakfast). Instead, doing long-term caloric restriction will impact your metabolism negatively, the type of thing suggested by most nutritionists although Ancel Keys found it to be devastating in The Minnesota Starvation Experiment.

I have found that I can put off eating indefinitely every day and have no hunger issues until I start eating again. So I can eat breakfast in the morning and end up starving before lunch time is even here (reminds me of my 6-meal-a-day years). Or I can have a cup of coffee, be fine until lunch, eat a big bowl of salad or soup, and eat a ginormous dinner when I get home.
    Lean, Mean, Virile Machine
    The Modern Man's Guide to Health, Fitness, and Wellness

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    I have thyroid issues still in the process of being worked out, but I actually do much better when I don't force myself to eat breakfast. I generally don't start getting hungry (winter feeding schedule) until 11 or 12. In the summer, I'm all about the one meal day, because that's all I'm hungry for. I've noticed my metabolism and thyroid issues starting to behave when I eat only when I'm actually hungry, and I'm very rarely hungry for breakfast. Lost about 10 lb, so I'm sticking with the no breakfast because it's working.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Whenever I eat my breakfast (be it at 6am or 6pm), I sense my bowels moving and it feels like the engine is starting. I think there might be some truth to it. My body temperature goes up, too. Whatever the case may be, extreme IF'ing (forcing yourself to one meal a day) is also not the answer.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

mikebike is offline Senior Member
    I normally wake up hungry. Going primal hasn't changed that. If I try to ignore the hunger, I get sick to my stomach so I just go with the flow and get some thing to eat.

SheGlowsPale is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mikebike View Post
    I normally wake up hungry. Going primal hasn't changed that. If I try to ignore the hunger, I get sick to my stomach so I just go with the flow and get some thing to eat.
    2nd this...I always eat breakfast because im usually hungry in the morning and then most of the time I skip lunch..this works just fine for me...however, not everyone is like that..basically my rule is eat when hungry, don't when not..be it morning, afternoon or night. I think the whole PB look at not eating breakfast is more about that you don't HAVE to (like CW wants you to believe) but it doesn't mean you can't.
    The pain of discipline or the pain of regret? You choose.

Oh look - I made a Journal.

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    Yeah, I'm wanting to learn more about this too. One thing that I've come across is that fasts are not always good for people who have adrenal issues, and a lot of people who have thyroid issues have adrenal issues. But everybody is different. I've read that you'll know if going without breakfast or fasting is not for you, as it's more than tummy grumbles that you feel: dizziness, panicky/anxiety, light-headedness, inability to concentrate, etc. I think I read that somewhere here on this site... sorry I don't know where. Good luck!

Roach is offline Senior Member
    PrimalCon New York
    I sometimes skip breakfast because I would rather get the extra 30 mins of sleep haha. I'm happy with how the PB has helped me shed the fat I was never quite able to lose when I was eating CW and doing two a days (lift in morning / run in afternoon). It makes sense now.

Anyway, I'm thinking of skipping breakfast and just living off coconut oil/milk during the day (and maybe a breve latte some days) and eating two meals after I work out and come home from work. Will this help me lean out some more or will it make me feel like complete ass? Only one way to find out haha.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast