Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Past and present life expectancy question page

Lazybastard is offline Junior Member

Past and present life expectancy question

Shop Now
    I'm a big proponent of the primal way of living, but I still have a question I hope you guys have an answer to.
    How come people in the past didn't live longer than people now? While in the past they lived primal and fasted all their lives.

EDIT: Also. Why do Africans have a shorter live expectancy, while they are completely primal.
    Last edited by Lazybastard; 07-04-2010 at 03:45 AM.

StoneAgeQueen is offline Senior Member
    Because it was incredibly dangerous to live back then. Even something like a broken limb could kill you. As well as that your life was at risk from wild animals, other tribes, bites, cuts, the weather. etc. Don't forget skeletons have been found of primitive men who were 90 years of age.

Which Africans are you talking about as it is a large continent made up of many different countries?
    Type 1 diabetic for 25 years.
    Low carb for 7 years, LC Primal for 2.5 of those.
    Fruit and starch free.
    Total weight loss- 3 stone/42 pounds. Current weight = 121 pounds. Height 5'5
    I take Zymessence systemic enzymes.

Lazybastard is offline Junior Member
    Pygmy peoples in central Afrika. I once heard their life expectancy is around 45.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Infectious diseases, wild cats, and food shortages are a bitch. If hunter-gatherers could avoid those they lived a very long time but on average a lot of people got killed. We have clean water now and we don't have to risk getting eaten by a crocodile to get it. Expanding on the food shortages idea, if food was short hunter-gatherers would have to eat too much muscle meat, which is gross and harmful. Paleo life was not fun and happy, it was simply free of food that is demonstrably harmful like grains, legumes, and all of the processed junk people eat today.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Mac
    Mac is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    if food was short hunter-gatherers would have to eat too much muscle meat, which is gross and harmful.
    Huh?

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Too much protein in excess of fat is bad. Ask any hunter-gatherer. It's gross. Why the fuck modern humans have this fixation on protein protein protein is beyond me. For every calorie of protein I like at least 3 calories of fat. The hunter-gatherers kill a deer, eat the bits of fat that they have and are left with tons of muscle meat and are still hungry. This situation sucks and at such a point I would be looking at the fattest of my hunting companions for my next meal. The Inuit know it and traditional peoples know it. That's why we have such things as butter and tallow.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member
    Life expectancy also takes into account infant and childhood mortality. We have much much much lower infant/childhood mortality in developed nations and in modern ages.
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Harry Guest
    Yes, I believe I have had past lives and expect future ones. Oh, wait, that isn't what you are talking about.

naiadknight is online now Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Life expectancy also takes into account infant and childhood mortality. We have much much much lower infant/childhood mortality in developed nations and in modern ages.
    +1
    That combined with the hazards of the wild world make for a short statistical lifespan. In reality, if they managed to avoid trauma, getting eaten, and dying of disease, they live quite long lives.
    "No fate but what we make"- Sarah Connor, Terminator 2
    Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, steak in one hand, chocolate in the other, yelling "Holy F***, What a Ride!"
    My Primal Battle Tome

mayness is offline Senior Member
    There's some evidence that people lived a little bit longer before agriculture... I've seen a few numbers before, but here's one chart: http://www.beyondveg.com/nicholson-w...-1984-1a.shtml

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast