Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Never Again page

funderful is offline Member

Red face Never Again

Shop Now
    I'm so glad I found this site and a place to track my transition and hold myself accountable. I'd thought about starting a blog, but didn't want to go that far. I'm going to get to get healthy and stay there!

So here's my story:

I've always been a big girl. I weight 160 by 7th grade and 223 by the time I graduated high school. I remember the exact numbers because I was weighed by a doctor and completely shocked at my weight. But I remember distinctly speaking with a nutritionist after high school who was so unhelpful. She talked to me as if I understood calories and fats and carbs and all that. I didn't understand a thing. All I knew was that my mother served us a vegetable, a carb and a meat at every meal--and even though we almost always ate at home, it wasn't always that healthy.

Fast forward a year and I was down 40 lbs. When everyone else gained the freshmen 15, I was losing. I'd moved to CA for school and my diet completely changed simply due to the food they made available in the cafeteria. It was very healthy. And i began working out 3x a week as part of a mandatory health class.

But I moved back to the east coast after my first year and my diet went downhill. They didn't serve healthy food at my new school, it was all pizza, burgers, friends, etc. At that point, I still didn't understand anything about food and health so I just figured I would work out more to lose the weight I was putting on. I worked out 2 hours a day. I continued my work out regimen for several years and manage to slow my weight gain to about 5 lbs a year. Well, that added up over the years.

On top of that, I'm bipolar and ended up in the hospital twice. Once out of the hospital, I spent months at home depressed and unable to muster the energy to stick to an exercise regimen. On top of that, the meds made me gain weight. I began to pack on the weight. By the end of 2012, I was at 251. I was finally put on a medication that pulled me out of my depression and taken off a med that was making me pack on the weight. I loss 15 lbs in two weeks.

Since then, I've been making it my job to understand my health and returned to my favorite way to stay active--thai boxing. But even after all of this, the pounds haven't been coming off. I've been gaining and losing the same 15 pounds. I'm so happy to have found this site and this community, as well as the book Fitness Confidential.

SW: 251
    CW: 233
    GW: 150
    Last edited by funderful; 06-21-2014 at 12:22 PM.

So luckily for me I find it easy to give things up. Long before I began this journey, I at least understood that some things were not good for me so I said goodbye to them and never looked back.

1. No white foods (rice, bread). I've always loved the taste of wheat products better.
    2. No soda, juice.
    3. No fast food, fried food.
    4. No junk food-chips, candy bars, etc. Struggle with this when I’m busy but always get back on track.

Since beginning this journey, I've set myself up for success. Here are a few things I've done:

1. I train in muay thai 3 times per week. I love it. I think finding something you enjoy doing is crucial. I love boxing more than anything. I just can't stick with a gym regimen and or do those DVDs.

2. Stopped counting calories and started eating small meals/mindful eating (stopped as soon as I started to feel satisfied in my stomach, not my brain).

3. Starting weight pictures. Never did this before but think it will go a long way in helping me reduce my dependence on the scale and appreciate my progress in other areas besides the numbers.

4. Brought a good quality water bottle and now drink a gallon of water a day (5 bottles). This has caused acne (in the two weeks I've been doing this), but I'm hoping the acne clears up soon.

5. Planning my meals and making my lunch the night before so I don't forget.

6. Motivational quotes and pictures around apartment. This is one of the best ideas I've had recently. It's so helpful to see these around my apartment and always be reminded that it's ok to go slow, that it's really about conquering myself, and that nothing feels as good as being fit.

7. Research good/clean eating. Why I'm here!

8. I've started putting reminders for meals and drinking water, as well as my shopping list, into an app called Wunderlust. When I'm working, I can forget to eat or refill my water bottle. This way, I have to go into the app and check it off or the reminder will remain on my phone. I also get email reminders.

9. Went out and used my new Paleo/NSNG-inspired knowledge to shop for groceries. I think I came away with good meal options.
    Last edited by funderful; 06-22-2014 at 07:13 AM.

Jimmus Prime is offline Senior Member
    Goooood afternoon!

If I may offer one tie bit of advice: Avoid the whole wheat as well! Grains in general. Search MDA on resistant starches if you wish, but in general, all grains are anti-primal. Whole wheat flour is not > white flour. Otherwise, best of luck with your goals, and keep active on here (but more active out there ). You'll like this place! I know I do.

Please don't Muay Thai kick the crap outta me haha.

- Jim
    Please feel free to follow my journal, unless you're seeing this link IN my journal... That's quite the paradox! I promise to keep my content up to date, honest, and hopefully mildly entertaining.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107788.html

Quote Originally Posted by Jimmus Prime View Post
    Goooood afternoon!

If I may offer one tie bit of advice: Avoid the whole wheat as well! Grains in general. Search MDA on resistant starches if you wish, but in general, all grains are anti-primal. Whole wheat flour is not > white flour. Otherwise, best of luck with your goals, and keep active on here (but more active out there ). You'll like this place! I know I do.

Please don't Muay Thai kick the crap outta me haha.

- Jim
    Oh I'm giving it all up! Thanks for the advice. Going to read your journal now and see if I can find some other nuggets of advice. :-)

Jimmus Prime is offline Senior Member
    Haha, you will find naught in there except for debauchery, self-slander and not-so poetic prose .

I am a big fan of motivational things as well, and am a very self-motivated individual, so much like your posters you appreciate, you may see a video or two, or maybe the occasional motivating phrase.
    Please feel free to follow my journal, unless you're seeing this link IN my journal... That's quite the paradox! I promise to keep my content up to date, honest, and hopefully mildly entertaining.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread107788.html

Good morning world!

Today is weigh-in day for me. I weigh myself each Sunday. I've actually got into the habit of weighing myself everyday to ensure I'm on the right track, but I only record my weight on Sundays. I was really worried that, with all of the fat I ate yesterday, I'd gained weight. Fat-phobia is real and I definitely have a case of it. But I'm becoming a believer in this new way of thinking.

The scale said 232.2 this morning, down from 233.4 last Sunday. I have a love/hate relationship with my scale and always have. I'm one of those people whose mood is dictated by that pesky number on the scale each week. I wish it weren't the case and I'm working on changing my thinking, but it's difficult. I think once I start to see some results, this will be easier.

I wish I'd lost more, but I have to admit, I ate a ton of carbs earlier this week, before starting on this new Paleo path. I actually went out and bought a bunch of pasta thinking that it would save me time and money to make pasta for lunch (Wheat pasta of course!). But now I know that was the wrong way to think about things. Even if I were keeping my calories in check, it just wouldn't work.

I'm off to muay thai this morning. With working an internship and a part-time job, it's been hard get to the gym, but I guess I should be taking it easy now that I'm transitioning to this new way of eating. I'm anticipating getting the carb-flu, but I hope it isn't bad. I'm unsure whether I should have fruit or some other carb before my workouts. If anyone out there has advice, I'd love to hear it.

Figure I should edit this to keep track of my food for the day.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with green peppers, onions (pre-cooked in olive oil) and a slice of cheese, topped with salsa and a side of four strips of turkey bacon (I just don't like the regular stuff). All below 500 cals. I was too full to eat more. My body has gotten used to small meals.

Lunch: one medium avocado and 2 oz of steak (cooked medium-rare with olive oil) sliced over a bed of romaine lettuce, with lite Ceasar dressing (going to get full fat version after I finish this one).
    Last edited by funderful; 06-25-2014 at 05:26 PM.

Well today had its ups and downs. I was feeling good about this new way of eating this morning after watching some Youtube videos and reading stories of success. But I'm learning that there's a rift between the vegan camp and the Paleo camp and it's not pretty. If anyone starts to ask about my weight loss, I'm just going to say I've been eating differently.

In reading some of the stories about people who haven't been able to lose weight living the Paleo lifestyle, I thought that it was interesting that no one mentioned water intake. Does dehydration make you retain water? Let's drink up people! I drink a gallon a day and it works well for me.

Today was the first day I had coffee in about a week and I only had it because I was having a lunch meeting with someone and I kept yawning. Not good! But the carb-flu hasn't come on and I'm hoping it never does. I'll take a little sleepiness over that any day.

The downside of my day was that I lost my Fitbit. I loved that little thing. It made tracking my food, weight, and exercise so much easier. But it was expensive and I don't plan to replace it any time soon. I'm on a serious budget. Side note: I don't get why people complain about not being able to do Paleo unless you have tons of money. A bag of broccoli at my grocery store costs $1.99. I know that healthy food isn't accessible everywhere, but it can be done on a budget.

Breakfast: 3 egg omelet with green peppers, onions, Provolone cheese (just a little dairy!), and salsa
    Lunch: Salad with avocado, chopped steak, romaine lettuce and lite ceasar dressing
    Snack: Salmon tartare with 6 asparagus
    Dinner: 3 chicken sausages and 2 cups of snap peas

I've decided I don't like my first post or my title, but eh, it is what it is.

I've been working a lot and haven't been able to work out more than twice a week for the past couple of weeks so I've decided to focus on my eating habits. I'm going to try switching up my eating habits like below to see if it does anything.

Today is my day to do the fast. Because I'm basically not going to eat until lunch because I ate peanut butter (I know!...but it was organic) late last night. Not sure if the hours you sleep count, but I'm going to count them. Luckily I feel bloated and I'm not hungry so no breakfast. I think it's because of the garbanzo beans I ate for dinner. I know you're not supposed to eat them, but I bought them before I started the diet and they've been in my cabinet calling my name. I just want to eat a little here and there until I get rid of them.

So here's the full plan from http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread88105.html :

Week 1
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a 12hr - 18hr fast, also reducing your calories on this day by somewhere around half
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in only 2 meals
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat for the whole day
    *Have a greens & yellows day, eat predominately Veggie's and fruit for the day
    *Have a carb day, eating a somewhat higher level of primal carbs for the day, eg potatoes, sweet potatoes, rice.
    *Eat normally for the other 2 days

Week 2
    Choose a day to:
    *Do a fast where you skip breakfast (if you normally skip breakfast, skip lunch then also), this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a fast where you skip dinner, this day should have a reduced calorie level.
    *Do a binge/feast eating above average calories in 4 - 6 small meals and/or snacks.
    *Have a dairy day, eat more than normal dairy on this day (If your lactose intolerant, do a veggie + carb day)
    *Have a meat day, eat predominantly meat on this day
    *Eat normally for the other 2 days

Week 3
    Follow the same protocol as week 1

Week 4
    Follow the same protocol as week 2
    Last edited by funderful; 06-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.

So excited that my mother is now on board with this new lifestyle. The doctor told her that she has to have her knee replaced. I am very much worried about this surgery (my godfather had it and was as white as a ghost for 4 weeks), and how she's going to get on during the first few weeks after the surgery. It's supposed to be very tough and painful; and she doesn't have any help at home.

But I think that was a wake up call for her. I have been trying to get my mother to workout more and eat healthier with me for years, but she always goes back to eating lots of processed junk. My mother is about 200 lbs on a 5'2" frame and has very little muscle mass. I'm hoping this gives her the energy she needs to get her up and moving.

Although I tried explaining the science behind it and she didn't seem to get it so I'm not going to push that on her. Just going to support her in this transition. I told her that we can hold each other accountable and talk about how best to do this by exchanging emails about what we eat each day.
    Last edited by funderful; 06-25-2014 at 05:27 PM.

I had to record this because it's so new and amazing to me. So I skipped breakfast this morning and had a salad for lunch. I had a few cups of broccoli with low-carb alfredo sauce when I got home around 5:30pm. That came to about 650 calories. I used to eat that for just one meal! Just surprised I managed to go most of the day feeling satisfied and energized on less calories.

Anyhoo, I was feeling a little unsatisfied a couple of hours after eating the broccoli so I decided to try eating some fat and protein. I ate 3 strips of bacon and a tablespoon of peanut butter (weird combo, I know, but I didn't eat them together lol). Now I'm super full and satisfied, even though I'm still under 1,000 cals., and can get back to focusing on work and not on food/my belly.

I know keeping my cals this low is not good, but I honestly can't eat anymore and I don't think one or two days a week (on my non-work out days) of doing this can hurt all that much.

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast