Thread: OHHH man drop bananas for Abdominals??? That stinks what about my cramps page

Styleten is offline Senior Member

OHHH man drop bananas for Abdominals??? That stinks what about my cramps

Primal Fuel
    I cramp, If i were to drop bananas i am afraid I'd knot up. I know advocados are high in potassium but 2 for 3 bucks vs 59 cents a pound for bananas direct me to the yellow delight. Plus i can eat bananas raw, with honey or with peanut butter. Advocados only with honey.

Please recommend me a potassium resource to help with the prevention of cramping. I'm starting to use sea salt but haven't learned how yet. I get wicked glute pains in my left leg. Probably because its my lead leg in boxing and wrestling.

Phil-SC is offline Senior Member
    I really hate to say "pop a pill"...but potassium supplements are dirt cheap and effective. For $3.00, you can get 100 pills.

I have to use them due to my martial arts and weight training...my legs cramp if I don't take them sometimes...even with eating bananas.

There are certain salt substitutes that are potassium based...look in the salt area or health food section in your grocery.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Phil-SC View Post
    I really hate to say "pop a pill"...but potassium supplements are dirt cheap and effective. For $3.00, you can get 100 pills.
    +1
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    To put things into perspective, 200 calories of banana has 800mg, which sucks. So perhaps just eat more watery vegetables.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    http://whfoods.org/genpage.php?tname=nutrient&dbid=90

"Potassium is found abundantly in many foods, and is especially easy to obtain in fruits and vegetables. Excellent sources of potassium include chard, crimini mushrooms, and spinach."

Scroll to the bottom of that page and there's a whole list of foods and their nutrient density for potassium. There are a LOT of things w/ more potassium than banana's or avocados. (I can't have either of those, I'm diabetic so I can't eat banana, and I'm allergic to avocados. I had to find alternatives, and that website is a treasure-trove for finding nutrient dense options)
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Rosegin is offline Senior Member
    I know leg cramps are most commonly caused by a calcium/magnesium deficiency. I'd try that.
    ~Sandy

hw1178 is offline Member
    Ugh. Taking supplements can really screw up your electrolyte balance and can cause a lot of problems if not taken properly. If you are not deficient (proven by a blood test), than just get your nutrients from food. No need to OD on electrolytes because bananas can be too high in carbs (FYI, they are high in carbs but relatively low in fructose).

If you feel that bananas are impeding your weight loss, than just eat a different food that is high in potassium but low in carbs. There are plenty of real foods to choose from out there that aren't as carb-rich.

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Stabby View Post
    To put things into perspective, 200 calories of banana has 800mg, which sucks. So perhaps just eat more watery vegetables.
    +1 Optimally, most paleo/primal/WAPF nutritionists would say we're aiming for a 2-4:1 K potassium:kcal ratio. Bananas only offer enough potassium to offset their own cals....not all the other low potassium cals we eat.

Chard is a GREAT source. Purslane is probaby the best source. And tomatoes are a super easy excellent source. you can add tomato salt free tomato sauce, tomato juice, vegetable juice.

krispin.com has a potassium page that's very helpful and may have a veggie peeling broth recipe that donates significant potassium.

Quote Originally Posted by hw1178 View Post
    Ugh. Taking supplements can really screw up your electrolyte balance and can cause a lot of problems if not taken properly.
    It's not so complicated though. Everytime we eat we're messing with our electrolyte balance. As long as one's kidneys are fine, we can manage smart supplementation with ease.

If you are not deficient (proven by a blood test),
    standard blood tests for electrolytes are not indicators of cellular nutrient status. if we're fine a blood test, it means little.....if we're deficient, it means we were already deficient intracellularly and that it finally just got than just get your nutrients from food.

In an evolutionary environment, magnesium and especially potassium levels were very high compared to cals and sodium. I have a potassium doc below that has some helpful information.

Quote Originally Posted by Rosegin View Post
    I know leg cramps are most commonly caused by a calcium/magnesium deficiency. I'd try that.
    Calcium and sodium are the electrolyte 'contractors'. Magnesium and potassium are the electrolyte relaxers. It's often said that cramps during exercise are potassium deficiency and cramps during the rest (incl sleep) are magnesium deficiency.....though when looking at diets I usually see both.

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order