Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Allergies to stuff people shouldn't be allergic to page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Allergies to stuff people shouldn't be allergic to

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Just sort of thinking out loud here: many people are allergic to gluten, peanuts, etc., things that our bodies are not really wired to eat and process. Makes sense. However, others are allergic to things that "should" be totally fine: seafood, asparagus, garlic, cucumber, raspberries, certain spices. I have this weird theory that if these people, who are allergic to perfectly healthy foods, completely dropped grains and sugars from their diet and essentially went Primal, their allergies would disappear and they could eat the aforementioned things.

Is my theory crazy? Why on earth would someone be allergic to raspberries or mushrooms? Ok, did a quick Google search.. apparently some have an allergy to salicylates which are found in berries, mushrooms, cucumbers, some spices. Still, the question stands: is salicylate sensitivity a result of internal inflammation due to eating grains and sugars?

MarkRose is offline Member
    Not crazy at all!!

Since switching to a natural foods diet (before primal, but basically avoiding processed crap and fake ingredients), my seasonal allergies almost completely disappeared! They used to be so bad I'd stay indoors all summer, and if I went outside, my nose would be permanently stuff, runny, red eyes, the works. I'd be rotating through antihistamines, too.

Now, I love going outside. I sneeze occasionally, but that's it.

I did come up positive for a salmon allergy in testing. At the time, I remembered feeling bloated after eating salmon. I've since tried it again with no ill effects.

A lot of auto-immune diseases are essentially an allergic reaction to stuff naturally present in, or even essential to the human body. There is good evidence showing that Gulf War Syndrome is a result of squalene being used as an adjuvant in vaccines. It's also suspected as a cause of rheumatoid arthritis. Squalene is naturally present throughout the body, and is used in the making of vitamin d, cholesterol, and steroid hormones like testosterone. In vaccines, it increases the immune response, making the vaccine more effective with less virus material (thus cheaper to manufacture). However, the presence of squalene mixed in with the genetic material can sometimes confuse the body's immune system into build a defense against squalene: thus leaving the unlucky squalene adjuvant receiver with an auto-immune disease for life. I pity anyone who get subjected to a vaccine, by choice or not. http://articles.mercola.com/sites/ar...t-Exposed.aspx

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Not crazy. Foods super prevelent in SAD such as gluten that can basically destroy the good flora of your GI tract, cause constant inflammation in there, etc, can totally lead to intolerance of other things, and dropping such foods can lead to tons of healing and for some the ability to eat foods they didn't tolerate b/4. I don't know if this would work for actual anaphalactic allergies, but I believe it is possible to overcome/heal food sensitivities this way (by also adding really beneficial healing foods like bone broths and ferments as well.) There are multiple diets (like SCD and GAPS) that are based on dropping grains, sugar and food additives for healing.
    Last edited by FairyRae; 08-23-2011 at 09:20 AM.

MJinLV is offline Senior Member
    One of my reasons for starting PB is exactly this idea. Last year, at the age of 39, I suddenly became allergic to foods I had eaten my whole life, as well as to basically every bush, tree, and grass. It is really hard to suddenly be told you can never eat nuts again and find you cannot breathe during the spring months.

I really hope that after maybe a good 6-12 months without any artificial, grainy ingredients, that my body will reset itself. I dream of walnuts, pesto sauce, and almond butter. I want to sit on my patio in April.

Keep your fingers crossed, and I will report back in 2011.

BarbeyGirl is offline Senior Member
    Nope, not crazy.

One reason is that the SAD compromises our gut linings, which allows intruders to breech our defenses, which incites an immune response. Our immune system never forgets a face...which becomes a problem because certain intruders look an awful lot like some of our bodies' own cells. So, once our immune system is geared up to fight the genuine intruder, it can also begin attacking the similar, human cells. Voila! Auto-immune issues. Allergies, arthritis, allergies...and that's just the A's!

Ditching the SAD will help a lot, but due to the immune system's excellent memory, some people will experience lingering effects.

Personally, I've experienced cessation of most arthritis (bunions), seasonal allergies, and so-called "exercise-induced" asthma.
    Last edited by BarbeyGirl; 07-04-2010 at 07:48 AM.
    Nightlife ~ Chronicles of Less Urban Living, Fresh from In the Night Farm ~ Idaho's Primal Farm! http://inthenightlife.wordpress.com/

Latest post: Stop Being Stupid

MalPaz is offline Senior Member
    i think its a gut flora imbalance....usually cause by antibiotics or babies not breastfed....this is IMO by the way. i gotta say, i had hay fever ever single spring/summer before going primal and i have not coughed or sneezed ONE time since switching from ZC to primal. and my hay fever was like gasping for breath, ungodly bad and the doc even tried to say it was heart burn lol

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Not crazy at all. Before I went Primal just under a year ago, I was violently allergic to peaches and other stone fruits, strawberries, and kiwi. I've had strawberries and no reaction. I had half a peach the other day and no reaction. I'm convinced.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

avocado is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by CaptSaltyJack View Post
    I have this weird theory that if these people, who are allergic to perfectly healthy foods, completely dropped grains and sugars from their diet and essentially went Primal, their allergies would disappear and they could eat the aforementioned things.
    I don't know. I mean, it's on boards full of people who don't eat glutens that I hear waaaaaaaaaay more about a multitude of food allergies and intolerances than any where else. I've actually been wondering lately if there's something about low carb or primal that increases food intolerances.

MarkRose is offline Member
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I don't know if this would work for actual anaphalactic allergies, but I believe it is possible to overcome/heal food sensitivities this way (by also adding really beneficial healing foods like bone broths and ferments as well.)
    From my own understanding, anaphylactic reactions get worse each time and are essentially incurable. I have an anaphylactic reaction to nitrile (or to a chemical used in the manufacturing process, not sure), but thankfully not to latex or vinyl. I can touch nitrile stuff for brief periods, but the last time I had prolonged contact, I ended up in the emergency room with airway constriction. Not fun. I used to wear nitrile gloves where I worked. Then I started getting redness, but attributed it to my skin not breathing in the hot summer weather. A week more of wearing them, and I was in the hospital.

I've also noticed a buildup reaction to other things like tartrazine (FD&C Yellow #5). It never bothered me for years, but it got to the point were it was giving me 24 hour migraines and body lethargy before I figured it out. Now that I've largely avoided all synthetic ingredients (poisons, really), I still have a strong reaction to it (like if I accidentally eat a handful of AMC popcorn). It's gotten to the point where I can pretty much taste tartrazine if it's in anything.

The other allergies I've had, such as to pollen, salmon, etc., have almost gone completely away. Because my immune system isn't constantly fighting the crap I used to ingest, the presence of a few environmental/food allergens no longer sends it into overdrive. I consider those allergies cured. :-)

gfprof is offline Member
    Nope not crazy: it's absolutely true. Before I went off gluten I was intolerant of more and more food (including red meat, fish, and peppers!) It took a whole year before I could tolerate these things again - I thought I had lost them forever. It does take a lot of time for your body to recover and rebuild itself which explains what you're seeing on the GF boards, avocado. I was lucky that I only had to wait a year. Most people find that they rebuild tolerance for things after several years of being GF, sometimes even common allergens like dairy and soy.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast