Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast
Results 11 to 20 of 21

Thread: Allergies to stuff people shouldn't be allergic to page 2

  1. #11
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRose View Post
    From my own understanding, anaphylactic reactions get worse each time and are essentially incurable. I have an anaphylactic reaction to nitrile (or to a chemical used in the manufacturing process, not sure)

    I've also noticed a buildup reaction to other things like tartrazine (FD&C Yellow #5). It never bothered me for years, but it got to the point were it was giving me 24 hour migraines and body lethargy before I figured it out.
    Just out of curiosity, do you know your D levels? I have some theories about D and allergies and do know some people who've 'outgrown' anaphylactic allergies with enough time, sufficient zinc, A, D.....and some digestive enzymes and probiotics. Though these weren't environmental allergies but rather eggs, dairy and other foods. And certainly those things don't always help. T2 has the worst environmental allergies and it's not gotten any better even with fantastic food, nutrition and vitamin D.

    Just curious



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  2. #12
    MarkRose's Avatar
    MarkRose is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Just out of curiosity, do you know your D levels? I have some theories about D and allergies and do know some people who've 'outgrown' anaphylactic allergies with enough time, sufficient zinc, A, D.....and some digestive enzymes and probiotics. Though these weren't environmental allergies but rather eggs, dairy and other foods. And certainly those things don't always help. T2 has the worst environmental allergies and it's not gotten any better even with fantastic food, nutrition and vitamin D.

    Just curious
    I was tested in the fall (after I learned about vitamin D), and I came back very deficient. I forget the exact number, but it was somewhere around 13 ng/ml IIRC. I started taking 5000 units until spring. I probably should be taking it still, as I don't get enough sun. I would love a job outside, but right now I've got a gig being a programmer.

  3. #13
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRose View Post
    I was tested in the fall (after I learned about vitamin D), and I came back very deficient. I forget the exact number, but it was somewhere around 13 ng/ml IIRC. I started taking 5000 units until spring. I probably should be taking it still, as I don't get enough sun. I would love a job outside, but right now I've got a gig being a programmer.
    Did you have it done in Canada? Any way you can double check the units as canadian tests are usually done in nmol/L - though not always.

    Definitely keep taking the 5,000 IU per day......definitely (and maybe more) As you said, there's no way you're getting enough.

    zRT (linked in my d doc below) has a great home test to recheck later on to see if 5,000 IU is enough. Many will need 1,000 IU per 25 lbs body weight.



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  4. #14
    MarkRose's Avatar
    MarkRose is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    51
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    Did you have it done in Canada? Any way you can double check the units as canadian tests are usually done in nmol/L - though not always.

    Definitely keep taking the 5,000 IU per day......definitely (and maybe more) As you said, there's no way you're getting enough.

    zRT (linked in my d doc below) has a great home test to recheck later on to see if 5,000 IU is enough. Many will need 1,000 IU per 25 lbs body weight.
    I converted nmol/L to ng/L so we'd be speaking the same units

    Considering I weight about 275 right now, I should be taking 11k/day, or more to overcome my chronic deficiency. I don't enjoy eating that many pills though. I've yet to see the 5k pills for sale anywhere here.

  5. #15
    voodoo-anarchy's Avatar
    voodoo-anarchy is offline Junior Member
    Join Date
    Jul 2010
    Location
    Texas, USA
    Posts
    16
    You're theory's not crazy, but it's not exactly true in all cases, either. I myself developed an apple/plum/nectarine/peach after moving to a different city. I've been primal for over a year, and I still get rashes. I suspect, like most things, YMMV. With that being said, l've also noticed a reduction in seasonal allergies (and to think I used to get sick from them when I was little!).

  6. #16
    FairyRae's Avatar
    FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    Posts
    1,996
    Quote Originally Posted by avocado View Post
    I don't know. I mean, it's on boards full of people who don't eat glutens that I hear waaaaaaaaaay more about a multitude of food allergies and intolerances than any where else. I've actually been wondering lately if there's something about low carb or primal that increases food intolerances.
    I think a major reason this is so prevelant, is that people who have food allergies/sensitivities are often looking for ways to heal them, bringing them to places like MDA. That's my case and the case of many others. I don't think primal eating is in any way the *cause* of this type of stufff--more like a possible cure...

    I also think MOST folks are walking around, ingesting food that is probably making them sick or feel like shit, and they don't realize it and are just accepting that that is how it feels to get older. (Which may be why you don't hear a group of folks eating SAD talking about their food sensitivities and how they are working to heal them all that often...)

    I agree w/ a pp that YMMV. It is my *hope* that we'll heal many/most of our sensitivities through this way of eating, along w/ supplementing key nutrients and probiotcs... But I can't know what the future holds for us--we'll see what happens! It really has worked for some folks, and that's part of what keeps me trying! (I'd love ds to be able to eat almonds, strawberries and oranges w/out getting a rash at some point, among other things...)

  7. #17
    avocado's Avatar
    avocado is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    Location
    Southern California
    Posts
    702
    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    I think a major reason this is so prevelant, is that people who have food allergies/sensitivities are often looking for ways to heal them, bringing them to places like MDA. That's my case and the case of many others. I don't think primal eating is in any way the *cause* of this type of stufff--more like a possible cure...

    I also think MOST folks are walking around, ingesting food that is probably making them sick or feel like shit, and they don't realize it and are just accepting that that is how it feels to get older. (Which may be why you don't hear a group of folks eating SAD talking about their food sensitivities and how they are working to heal them all that often...)
    I think both of those things are definitely true. I'm just not sure that's all of it. Not sure it isn't either But I do still wonder about it.

  8. #18
    Katie82's Avatar
    Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    New England
    Posts
    478
    I developed severe allergies to cats/dogs in my early twenties. Every year it was getting worse and worse to the point I would feel like I had the flu if I spent more than an hour in a house with pets. Since going primal (and I'm far from perfectly primal) I've had a few encounters with houses with pets and other than a few sneezes I have been fine! I still don't believe it and I keep expecting the worst when going to visit certain people but I keep getting better so you are definitely not crazy. I'm excited to see just how much better I can get over time my seasonal allergies and asthma are way better as well.

  9. #19
    cillakat's Avatar
    cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Join Date
    May 2010
    Location
    Atlanta
    Posts
    4,473
    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRose View Post
    I converted nmol/L to ng/L so we'd be speaking the same units
    OMG I should have known. How INT_ of you. LOL.

    Quote Originally Posted by MarkRose View Post
    Considering I weight about 275 right now, I should be taking 11k/day, or more to overcome my chronic deficiency. I don't enjoy eating that many pills though. I've yet to see the 5k pills for sale anywhere here.
    Yeah, about 40K per day for a month wouldn't be inappropriate.

    iherb.com has 5k and I think 10K pills. vitamindcouncil.org has 50,000 IU pills through one of their links.

    Quote Originally Posted by voodoo-anarchy View Post
    You're theory's not crazy, but it's not exactly true in all cases, either. I myself developed an apple/plum/nectarine/peach after moving to a different city. I've been primal for over a year, and I still get rashes.
    We already know your D is low though

    Quote Originally Posted by FairyRae View Post
    (I'd love ds to be able to eat almonds, strawberries and oranges w/out getting a rash at some point, among other things...)
    My dd grew out of some major food allergies, incl eggs, nuts, and stone fruits. *crosses fingers for FairyRae* Another dear friend in our homeschool group has grown out of anaphylactic allergies to eggs and hazelnuts as well as less severe allergies. Another little friend is still anaphylactic to eggs but no longer reactive at all to fish or dairy. There is hope.

    Quote Originally Posted by Katie82 View Post
    my seasonal allergies and asthma are way better as well.
    +1 but most of it was related, for me, to vitamin D levels....just getting of grains and sugar didn't do it.



    iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order


  10. #20
    MarkRose's Avatar
    MarkRose is offline Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2010
    Location
    Toronto
    Posts
    51
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Quote Originally Posted by cillakat View Post
    OMG I should have known. How INT_ of you. LOL.

    Yeah, about 40K per day for a month wouldn't be inappropriate.

    iherb.com has 5k and I think 10K pills. vitamindcouncil.org has 50,000 IU pills through one of their links.
    You know me too well, tailkitten! It's kinda creepy being so understood. lol

    Thanks for the links! I will have to check them out... it would sure beat eating 20 1k bills like I did last night.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •