Thread: Supplements page

Beefsister is offline Senior Member

Supplements

Primal Fuel
    Hello MDA. I've been eating VLC, and am worried that I'm not getting enough nutrients. I do not plan on eating VLC for an extended amount of time, but I logged what I ate into fitday, and I'm low on quite a few different vitamins/minerals. That being said, I know nothing about vitamin supplements, and was wondering if somebody could point me in the right direction, or give me a good brand to buy. I'm a very active 14 year old girl, if that helps you out. Thanks, guys!
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Some companies vary in quality with different products. Which supplements do you think you need?

Also I am very jealous of you. I didn't stop pwning myself with bad food until I was 21. Blarg.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    According to Fitday, I'm low on vitamin E (I'm not so sure about this one. I buy fresh eggs, which I believe have rather high amounts of vitamin E), vitamin D, which is also not a problem since I am outside in the sun for much of the day, copper, Vitamin C (This one is at 0%. Hope I don't die from scurvy), iron, manganese, magnesium, and calcium, but I think the RDA for calcium is too high anyway, but I guess I could just eat more cheese.

Oh yes, I'm very glad I found this site at such a young age. While my friends eat themselves into a CW induced heart attack, I'll be laughing and enjoying my steak smothered in butter and cheese.
    Last edited by Beefsister; 07-03-2010 at 11:02 PM.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Vitamin E: free-range or omega 3 enriched eggs will have plenty. Conventional eggs, which fitday uses as their example aren't good sources.

Copper and iron: beef heart. I do not like the idea of getting these two from supplements since there is greater potential for toxicity with supplements. You don't really need a lot, just a little sliver with your steak. I swear it's not gross (at least once cooked). A lot of nutritional deficiencies are resolved when we eat organs. Failing that I suppose just more steak for iron and creamed coconut for copper and manganese. The creamed coconut (that has included the water) will have a little bit of sugar but no more than in some carrots so it's not so worrisome.

A simple cal/mag looks good. I take this magnesium http://well.ca/products/now-foods-ma...ate_18903.html and I honestly don't know of any good cal/mags so hopefully someone else does.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

healthseekerKate is offline Senior Member
    >> I honestly don't know of any good cal/mags so hopefully someone else does.

I've been using this one, and have been very happy with it:

Now calcium citrate/magnesium/zinc/copper/manganese tablets
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Calci...blets/472?at=0

One caveat is that those are relatively large tablets, but I personally don't have a problem swallowing them bc they're shaped well.

This product is also available in capsule form, which is more expensive per unit Ca but smaller in size:
    http://www.iherb.com/Now-Foods-Calci...Vcaps/479?at=0

I like this Now product because a) calcium citrate is the most bioavailable and easily digestible form of Ca; b) it contains the Zn, Cu & Mn that also aid in healthy bones; c) it has a 2:1 Ca:Mg ratio, which, according to general expert consensus (although not unanimous), is a desirable ratio of these two minerals, d) it's very reasonably priced (tabs cost $0.20 per day if you take 4 per day (1200 mg Ca total/day); caps cost $0.47 per day for the same dose of Ca).

skeedaddy is offline Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Beefsister, For vitamin C information check out www.vitamincfoundation.org. If so inclined read Irwin Stones book, referenced in the left column... Best wishes!