Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Are bananas keeping me from getting a flat stomach? page

CaptSaltyJack is offline Senior Member

Are bananas keeping me from getting a flat stomach?

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Many say that body composition is 80% diet and 20% exercise, and "abs are made in the kitchen, not at the gym." While I've lost quite a bit of weight, there's just a bit of stubborn gut and love handles that remain. I'm wondering why. I do have a couple bananas almost daily, is this a problem? Would cutting down bananas to once a week make a big difference?

I'm upping my intake of fatty meats & vegetables too, so that should help.

Beefsister is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are a very carby fruit, so probably, yes.
    Remember, you are unique just like everybody else.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    These are just my anecdotal observations but if I'm really going hard on the fat and meat, even if it's all really good quality stuff, and the fats are mostly saturated and monounsaturated, fruit still tends to lower my metabolism and impede that ultra-leanness somewhat. People in the 5% body fat range who are really striving for that super flat stomach tend to notice that the more fruit they eat the less flat their stomach is. It is a really technical detail most of the time if inflammation is low, glucose tolerance is good and the liver is healthy, but it is noticible. What supposedly happens is that the mere presence of fructose in the liver up-regulates whatever the mechanism is that draws glucose to the liver and so we form fat out of it and it accumulates slightly. I used to eat a good deal of fruit and I have been eating less lately to a conspicuous metabolic advantage. So I think that in the context of high fat it definitely matters. Now I just have some berries and a bit of coconut water every day and prefer it. It's not a glucose thing because I don't have the problem with sweet potato so it must be a fructose thing, that's my reasoning.

Don't take my word for it. Just test it out for yourself. Although if you have visible love handles I think there is probably some other stuff in play like inflammation, missing nutrients, or lifestyle factors like sleep and stress.
    Last edited by Stabby; 07-03-2010 at 09:21 PM.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Ugh. As much as I hate to cut out bananas, I think I will. Gotta have my blueberries though, daily.. at least they're approved to have on a daily basis. Plus, they're high in antioxidants which is great. Thanks, Stabby. I'll make a few adjustments & keep an eye on my weight & body fat %.

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Bananas are high in carbs, and a great derailer of health. I'd avoid them on principle.
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Styleten is offline Senior Member
    I cramp, If i were to drop bananas i am afraid i'd knot up. I know advocados are high in potassium but 2 for 3 bucks vs 59 cents a pound for bananas direct me to the yellow delight. Plus i can eat bananas raw, with honey or with peanut butter. Advocados only with honey.

Please recommend me a potassium resource to help with the prevention of cramping. I'm starting to use sea salt but haven't learned how yet.
    PM to the OP

Quote Originally Posted by Styleten View Post
    Plus i can eat bananas raw, with honey or with peanut butter. Advocados only with honey.
    Well.. you CAN, but I'm not sure how Primal that is. Peanuts are a strict no-no, and I'm not sure honey is really on the "approved" list either.

Styleten is offline Senior Member
    no offense to anyone here, i haven't read the book PN so i do not skew my shopping list based on its advise. About as primal as i know how to go for the time being is to only eat things that grow, breath, or can be picked. The criteria for primal vs non primal isn't something i can get an education on just yet. Maybe for my bday at the end of Auguest i can treat myself to the book. I feel good on general clean eating guidelines.

How would you battle cramps Capt?

Quote Originally Posted by Styleten View Post
    About as primal as i know how to go for the time being is to only eat things that grow, breath, or can be picked. The criteria for primal vs non primal isn't something i can get an education on just yet. Maybe for my bday at the end of Auguest i can treat myself to the book. I feel good on general clean eating guidelines.

How would you battle cramps Capt?
    Well, wheat is grown so that means you'd be eating it.. which is bad. If you want to follow the Primal Blueprint diet, you'd start by dropping all grains, processed carbs, refined sugars, and starchy foods. Bread, rice, potatoes, corn, corn products, pasta, baked goods (cookies, pies, "goodies"), etc.

Can't advise you on your cramps until you've restricted your diet to meat, poultry, fish, eggs, vegetables, and fruits. Your cramps could be due to something horribly nasty in your diet, in all likelihood. I used to have heartburn issues from time to time. That's completely gone now that I've altered my diet.

Lektar is offline Junior Member
    I dunno, I think Bananas in moderation are ok. I can't believe one every other day makes that much a difference..... Once a week is a bit over the top......

If you are losing weight then you are doing everything right surely!!

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast