Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Taking antibotics during pregnancy page

maba is offline Senior Member

Taking antibotics during pregnancy

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and recently contracted UTI. My midwife has told me that I'd have to take antibiotics, but he's waiting for further test results to see what bacteria I have and then prescribe an antibiotic to treat this specific bacteria. Are antibiotics safe to take during pregnancy? I've had bad experience with antibiotics in the past personally. But I want to what is best for baby right now. Are there any natural remedies to combat UTI? I've been drinking lots of water and also cranberry juice.

Puddymama is offline Senior Member
    I am by NO means an expert, so this is just my $.02 - I would take the antibiotics. You absolutely do not want to play around with a kidney infection during pregnancy. However, I would also take probiotics to make sure your gut stays happy.

I had a course of antibiotics during my delivery and then another course two weeks later for a UTI. I think it really messed up by DD's gut - she had a lot of food sensitivities, skin issues, sleeping troubles and blood in her stool. We got through all of that by an elimination diet that lead us towards a primal lifestyle, so it all worked out in the end. There was nothing I could do to prevent the antibiotics, so my only real key learning there was to make sure to take the probiotics as well.

Congratulations on the baby - it's such an exciting itme!

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    You can also take cranberry capsules (my sister has a history of UTIs and found them REALLY effective). Blueberries are helpful too. And if you go w/ the antibiotics, of course supp w/ probiotics (hours away from when you are taking the antibiotics.)

Here's a couple threads on this topic from MDC: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...tics+pregnancy
    http://www.mothering.com/discussions...ad.php?t=66916

Both are pretty pro antibiotics for UTI in pregnancy--just fyi.

Here are more on the same topic: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...rchid=11956401

I would ask in the MDC allergies or health and healing forum for some more helpful info on supporting yourself while taking them (or what to do if you *don't* take them). Those mamas are amazing and have some super ideas/wisdom to share.

Good luck and hope you feel better soon maba!!! (UTIs are the worst! )

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Cranberry juice has always helped me with UTI's but I've always gotten them very mild, and I used to take AZO for the pain but I'm not sure if it actually helps the UTI or not. I *think* it's just the cranberry extract. With that said, I had to take a round of antibiotics during my pregnany for a very bad cough/lung thing... and it was just fine, they are very safe. If the cranberry doesn't work within 2-3 days then don't hesitate to get the antibiotics.

Katie82 is offline Senior Member
    Oh, I also used this site a lot during my pregnancy because I took other meds too. Just put in the name of what your doc wants to give you and it will tell you if there are any concerns with taking it.
    http://www.safefetus.com/

This thread on "Probiotics for vaginal flora?" might be helpful too: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...egnancy+vagina

Sorry to post yet again--there are lots of alternative remedies that might help here: http://www.mothering.com/discussions...egnancy+vagina

superdeluxe is offline Senior Member
    Asymptomatic UTI often leads to pyelonephritis in pregnant women, and can also to growth retardation and low birth weight in their infants. That's why pregnant women are routinely screened and treated for asymptomatic UTI. Cranberry juice is helpful in reducing the risk of getting a UTI but not for treating a UTI. (I recommend pills instead of the juice.) AZO helps for pain but does not treat a UTI, so it will not prevent complications.

So while I'm not a big fan of antibiotics in general (eg, no, one does not need a antibiotic when one is congested and has a cough for 3 days!!!), I would follow your provider's advice and take the antibiotics. And probiotics for your gut.
    Il faut vivre et non pas seulement exister.

maba is offline Senior Member
    Thank you all for the advice and suggestions. I'll be visiting my midwife again tomorrow, will let you know what he says. I'm also having slight itching in my vagina since last evening. The only other time I've had it was after being wrongly prescribed 2 doses of antibiotics for an allergy!!! It took me almost 2 years to recover from that. Never in my life had I had a yeast infection before that.

Do these UTIs go away on their own in certain cases or do they have to be treated?

strawboss is offline Junior Member
    I've worked with pregnant women and birth for over 30 years and I agree with superdeluxe. Antibiotics get a bad rap, yep they carry risks but they also save lives. Many of us wouldn't be here if not for abx. Everything we do has risks and benefits, even choosing to live a "primal" lifestyle.

Please know that you can refuse/decline anything. I work with a group of midwives and our clientele decline a lot of things but always have a thorough discussion of risks and benefits with a midwife. Perhaps this Cochrane review will assist you in preparing for that discussion.

Good Luck

Judy

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast