Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Taking antibotics during pregnancy page 2

maba is offline Senior Member
    Primal Fuel
    Thank you strawboss. I think I'll be taking abx. My midwife called me this morning and left a message saying I have a bonafide infection and that it needs to be treated. I'll take all your advice and make sure I take probiotics also. I wouldn't have thought twice about it if I weren't pregnant but I guess I'm trying to be super cautious for my own good. Again, I appreciate every one of your suggestions and advice. Please feel free to continue this thread and add suggestions to prevent UTI for other pregnant moms. I do admit I never drank much water the first 2 trimesters and in one of the mothering threads that FairyRae posted, they say dehydration can lead to UTI too.

So, the midwife called and said I have to take ampicillin 4 times a day for 10 days and suspects I might have yeast infection and asked me to take monistat 7. When I asked him about probiotics, he said I could definitely take them but frankly, he doesn't know much about them. When I asked my husband (a physician) about picking up probiotics, he said I don't need them, just eating yoghurt would suffice. Do you recommend any particular probiotics? How often would I have to take them? How many mg?

cillakat is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by maba View Post
    I'm 30 weeks pregnant and recently contracted UTI. My midwife has told me that I'd have to take antibiotics, but he's waiting for further test results to see what bacteria I have and then prescribe an antibiotic to treat this specific bacteria. Are antibiotics safe to take during pregnancy? I've had bad experience with antibiotics in the past personally. But I want to what is best for baby right now. Are there any natural remedies to combat UTI? I've been drinking lots of water and also cranberry juice.
    Take the abx. ASAP.

Unsweetened cranberry can also be used in conjunction but Take. The. Antibiotics.

When I apprenticing with Deb, we had a chiropractor client who wouldn't take the abx.....did alllllllll of the alternative things you can think of.

Ended up in preterm labor with a hospital birth (she was planning a homebirth) and all of the interventions you could possibly imagine. And a 32 week old baby.

Abx are your good friend this time. Just be sure to take probiotics 2h after each dose of abx and a couple times a day for a couple of weeks after the abx are finished.

I have a link below to the probiotics I like: Garden of Life Primal Defense (though I occasionally take Dr. Ohirra)

iherb referral code CIL457- $5 off first order

Thanks Cillakat!!! I just called up the local GNC and looks like they carry Garden of Life, I'll go pick them up this evening.

FairyRae is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Sounds like you made the best decision for you and your baby. (After reading all this stuff, I think I would have made the same decision in your shoes!) I hope you feel much better soon!!!!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12