Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Paparazzi's Primal Journal page

paparazzi is offline Member

Paparazzi's Primal Journal

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    Day2
    While it would help to make this a food journal, I find it too daunting to do that here as well as Sparkpeople. I use SP because it breaks my fat/carb/proteins down so I can get a vision on my eats throughout the day. YES, i used to do it for a calorie/fat/carb/protein purpose but not anymore. I don't particularly look at the calories. Since SP is the only free program I can find right now that does that, that's what I'm using and I don't feel it necessary to track food in two separate places...unless someone has a better suggestion for tracking those necessary nutrients.

This will be a journal of how this journey works for me. Last time I tried Paleo (about 4yrs ago) I actually ended up gaining albs in a month. Not cool. My food and healing journey had me moving from "Oh do Paleo," suggested by a friend; to "do raw" from another friend. When raw ended up causing me some real energy issues and no weight loss, still...we moved to vegetarian then, since that includes lots of processed foods and bs foods, like soy burgers, fake meats, "vegetarian/vegan" cakes, pies, cookies blah blah blah; we moved to plant based with a few days a month with some grass fed beef due to my b12 deficiency. We were not strict plant based/no processed...I would say a strict 80-90% of the day.

Still, it took me over a year to lose 25lbs.
    I have things working against me but it doesn't mean I can't do it & I have never used them as an excuse, it just means I have to fight harder. I'm more active than most of my friends and yet still can't seem to lose weight.
    100lbs overweight
    Metabolic Syndrome/Insulin Resistance 4yrs
    Chronic achilles tendinitis & plantar fasciitis x2
    4 bulging cervical spinal discs
    1 bulging lumbar spinal disc
    Sciatica
    HGH deficiency
    Fibromyalgia 14yrs
    Emergency Hysterectomy 1998
    Perimenopause
    Low libido
    I spent the better part of 2002-2009 on numerous Rx and up to 17pills a day.

I'm currently off all drugs, including Advil.
    I am an herbalist and use medicinal herbs for many day to day ailments.

Today I feel better schooled in food than I did even just a month ago. Dh and I are going Primal and I began yesterday. Strictly for me. I don't feel I will be suffering from many carb withdrawal issues due to already being heavily plant based, but we'll see.

For today, I feel my energy levels have been great for the last two days and I don't feel any major cravings. My activity sometimes becomes difficult due to my feet and neck issues. I did 20min of beginner weight lifting (dumbbells), 15min walking, twist crunches, swimmer moves, and modified pushups. I also spent 30min outside spray painting a plant hanger I built. I sometimes end up in a wheel chair due to my cervical issues and walking long term is often difficult but I do love to bike and try that more often than straight up walking. I'm a big yoga and meditation believer and try to practice daily. I'm fluffy, but flexible (thank God).

I'm blessed with very supportive family & friends.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by paparazzi; 06-19-2014 at 01:37 PM.

jenna is offline Senior Member
    Hi paparazzi, just wanted to stop by and say hi. Sounds like you've been facing some hard challenges over the last couple of years and I just wanted to give you a little encouragement. YOU CAN DO THIS! :-D

That was awesome, thanks so much!!!

Day 3

I will attempt to copy/paste my SP daily intake totals into this journal @ the end of my day, in an effort to assist myself later should I run into challenges, ask for help and am asked for a daily run down on my intake. No promises or pressure to my self. In the meantime I will learn FitDay as well since I see that I should be able to paste it easier here than SP.

In reading Mark's book, I have learned that my lean body mass/weight is @119, therefore, my intake projections can be as follows but not something to stress over...except carbs.

Protein; 59.5g, 83.3g or 119g.
    119 x .05g of protein (min protein intake 0.5 low activity or 0.7moderately active or 1g active/athlete).
    At a minimum, my caloric intake of protein is only around 240
    Carbs; 30g (Ketosis), 50-100g for max fat burn and 100-150 for maintenance.

I'm going with low activity even though I feel I'm moderately active. I always err on the side of less...I'm my household's manager so I don't work outside the home. My activity bounces around based on my day and my physical health/mobility that day. I do what I can, when I can, as much as I can...before I can't.

I have always been of the mindset that I need to get up and eat breakfast within 30min and, I've always been a breakfast person. MUST EAT BREAKFAST...all my life. This morning however, I didn't just jump out of bed & eat. In fact, I've been up since 630, it's currently 930 and I'm just eating. I wasn't hungry earlier. And I didn't really eat dinner last night; I had a few slices of bacon while walking through the kitchen, but before that I had a huge lunch around 3pm. So it was like an unintentional 18.5hr fast. I did not have any negative issues.

***Update, 730pm. I ate lunch around 230-300pm and I'm still so full that I can't even think about food.

As a side note, I avoid Nightshades at all costs and have for 4 months. It works well for me and while at first it was difficult, because I love eggplant, peppers and tomato everything, I created a "No-mato Sauce" and no longer miss those veggies as much.

I was able to figure out how to take a screen shot so here is my Day3, tracked via Sparkpeople, in pic form (ignore the water intake, I drink more liquid than I probably should and do not track it);
    Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 7.23.24 PM.jpg Screen Shot 2014-06-19 at 7.29.16 PM.png
    Last edited by paparazzi; 06-19-2014 at 04:57 PM.

Pineneedles is offline Senior Member
    Hi, just wanted to wish you good luck and also recommend Paleotrack as a free food tracking site in case you are looking for an alternative. I love it - it gives details of a huge range of nutrients, advises you on your Omega 3/6 balance and also tells you when you've been Strict Paleo or Strict Primal. Haven't tried pasting the daily intake data here though so don't know how that would work.

Thank you Pineneedles- I will definitely look that up!

Day 4

Wow. SHUT THE FRONT DOOR!
    I'm about to write something that I'm hesitant to even write but it must be done. While I did not eat after lunch yesterday because I was absolutely not hungry (again) until late into my night. Around 1030pm I had 3 dark cherries & a small spoon of coconut oil, just to fool my tummy into "I ate something, I'm good," so another 16hr minor/unintentional fast.

THIS MORNING!
    I woke up hungry but not at all starving...just "eh, I'm hungry." I was up and busy for two hours before I actually was hungry enough to eat. 3eggs, some broccoli, some butter, some feta (a rare treat for me, like yesterday) and 1/4c sweet potato. I actually had more than that on my plate but I couldn't eat anymore than I did. Whew.

Anyway- what I wanted to write about was how I feel. As I noted in my first journal entry, I have a few physical ailments and it makes my mornings pretty tough. My mornings begin slow, stiff and painful really. Not this morning. This morning I woke alert, not stiff, and not in too much pain. I was able to sit on the floor to play with the dogs and speak to my husband in his office without any issues. I got on the floor and I stood up with no pain. I did wake with a headache and left arm pain but it was strictly due to the weight lifting that I did the day before yesterday. Because of my neck issues, lifting weights can become a challenge for me far beyond the actual "act" of doing. I deal with it the best I can.

I FEEL FABULOUS THIS MORNING

On a side note, I told/showed my husband what I ate throughout the day yesterday and neither of could believe I ate all the food I did (or maybe it was the type of foods...I don't know) and still only ate 1376 calories. SAY WHAT?!

So, here's to my day continuing the was it started!

It's now 7pm and, "here it is." Yep. Today I'm still having headaches but I'm not sure whether it's neck related or food related. I had cravings today that I haven't experienced for the last three days...I just wanted something sweet. Ewy, gooey, chocolate, creamy, sugary, gooey (oh, I said that already) sweet. I did not indulge (claps please) I do feel like I didn't eat a lot today; I've been hungrier today than I have the last three days. But at the same time I was hungry, the thought of eating more food? Nope. I wasn't that hungry. I just c ouldn't any more. What I'm noticing it that my protein/carb intake is almost equal. Is that weird/appropriate? (Idk if anyone is reading this, I know the journal is for myself so I'm just ransoming throwing that out there).

A 20min nap was on the order today butI still have tons of energy. It might be driving my dh crazy. He's not used to me having so much energy....and he's dragging a bit.
    Here's my day in a nutshell;
    Screen Shot 2014-06-20 at 6.12.47 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-20 at 6.12.31 PM.jpg
    Last edited by paparazzi; 06-20-2014 at 04:23 PM. Reason: Adding to...

Day 5

Any day at the beach is a hot but great day!! Lots of paddle boarding going on Did some water resistance moves as well as swimming; the water was the calmest I've seen it in 8weeks, like bath water. Ya couldn't get me out of it today (plus it was too hot to be out of it).

Here are my totals for today. Did some splurging on trail mix I adapted from PB and it was good. We always pack the cooler with salad topped with grilled chicken. We sued to pack strawberry/cookie/yogurt parfaits too but not today. Today it was the salads, trail mix and hard boiled eggs! YUM.

Had a decent sleep. Energy is high. Had a minor headache in the afternoon but I'm pretty sure it was related to the heat. It was ridiculous.

Screen Shot 2014-06-21 at 8.21.52 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-21 at 8.21.21 PM.jpg

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo
    H/5'3
    Start W/240
    21 day challenge began 6/17/14
    Weight after first 21days-235.7
    Sept. 2, 2014-
    13.2+a few inches lost

Day 6

th-4.jpeg

***Totally. Dragged. A**. Today.
    Yep. It hit me hard today. When I experienced it the other day, i worked through it. It didn't last all day. Today, it just kind of stayed with me. Oh, I worked it anyway; nothing major or over what I could handle because really, I did not have the energy. But I did my walking and resistance training, a few squats and lunges here & there while cooking lunch and dinner. I even "played" for a bit on a swing set at the park. I've been wanting to do that for a while! Nap? Yep, that too and after the nap I must say I felt a bit better but not 100%.

You know, dh and I went to a small chain discount store looking for a backyard canopy. Well! Having started paying attention to "foodless food," we noticed, by walking from the front of the store to the back of the store, that we passed 7, SEVEN isles of processed, bagged, tagged, pre-packaged, salt loaded, high sugar, carb loaded foods. Holy moly. And, what's worse, is we never noticed before. SEVEN ISLES!!!

I'm consistently losing ounces and while Tues will be one full week, as of today I've lost 3.4lbs. Dh will measure this evening before bed.

We are loving eating fats. I still do not miss sugary foods & we were talking last night how odd it is since I have a huge sweet tooth. But honestly, outside of one afternoon having some minor cravings, I've experienced none of that. Also, while cooking I've always been so hesitant adding oil of any kind to meals etc. Add oil to the pan? Nope, not me. I bought a good quality set of pots and pans that enabled me not to have to add fats and, I also would just add water to sauté meats or veggies. No fat. Fat=baaaaaad. Not anymore and I feel, despite my lack of energy today, so good!

I finally realized today the one food I'm happy consuming...I remember a Meet & Greet questionaire asked that type of question and I replied "Will get back to this." While I thought meat would be it (post-plant based person here) and it is, we love eating meat and we've missed it. The one thing I'm super happy about consuming currently? COCONUT MILK.

I've been off all dairy for quite a long time, except for some small amount of good, expensive quality cheeses, on specific occasions. And I didn't consume coconut milk because it's soooo high is fat and calories. Today however, I do not care. I love coconut milk. LOVE IT. I love it and have drank it today and also made "whipped cream" using it. H-E-A-V-E-N for me!

Screen Shot 2014-06-22 at 7.35.07 PM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-22 at 7.34.58 PM.jpg
    Last edited by paparazzi; 06-23-2014 at 06:34 AM.

There are no cheat days. There are days when you eat primal and days you don't. As soon as you label a day a cheat day, you're on a diet. Don't be on a diet. ~~ Fernaldo
    H/5'3
    Start W/240
    Sept. 2, 2014-
    13.2+a few inches lost

Day 7

Yesterday was rough. Seriously. But I woke this morning feeling much better, and I gained a few ounces also. Who cares? Not me. I'm trying to work on throwing out the scale but I've been dieting my whole life and the scale has been there (though not a friend) for nearly 30 of my 43 years of life. SMH. I stepped off it today and literally said "eh. So what." Because, I feel good. I also know that I've been lifting weights and/or doing resistance training as well as mild cardio. Ounces shmounces.

I woke this morning a wee bit hungry so I popped a hard boiled egg, packed dh's lunch and headed out for a 50min bike ride. My recovery, an hour later, feels better than it ever has. That's an accomplishment for me. Score!

Today's Note: Resistance training bands:
    Exercise- Green Band10-12lbs
    #1; Standing Chest Press 3sets 12reps
    #4; Standing Back Row 3sets 12reps
    #7; Standing Overhead Triceps Extension 3sets 12reps
    #14; Standing Abdominal Twist 3sets 12reps

30min evening walk.

I was pretty tired late this afternoon. Perhaps I did too much. I also seemed to have taken in more carbs (not processed/sugary carbs) than protein.
    After finishing Mark's book last night, I feel I have a little better grip on things for this second week of my 21 Day Challenge. We'll see. I am still somewhat perplexed by how to know the proper amount of fat grams/% I know, I know. We're not supposed to be focusing on numbers! But, I'm a # person. My protein grams has been calculated. My carb grams/intake has been calculated. While I'm not trying to obsess as I have in the past, i am tracking these things since I'm new to this and need to get a feel for what I'm eating, macronutrients etc. Why do I have a # for protein and carbs but not fat? It's driving me a little silly (only a little, which is surprising).
    I feel I went a little nuts in the fat area today. I read something from another thread that summed up "You should be eating enough fats/oils to cook in and pass yo through any kind of cravings. Otherwise, you will be burning intake fat not your own body fat. Don't eat so many calories in fat so that you're body is burning those fats instead." Made sense (I think anyway).
    If anybody with experience is reading through my journal and has any advice, even after looking at my tracker/pie chart, please feel free to pipe in. I take no offense and being that this is a COMPLETELY NEW WAY OF EATING for the dh and me, advice is always appreciated, whether we follow it or not.
    Screen Shot 2014-06-24 at 8.56.43 AM.jpgScreen Shot 2014-06-24 at 8.56.32 AM.jpg
    Last edited by paparazzi; 06-24-2014 at 06:25 AM.

H/5'3
    Start W/240
    Sept. 2, 2014-
    13.2+a few inches lost

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast