Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Mayo Recipe? page

scubasam is offline Senior Member

Mayo Recipe?

Shop Now
    Does anyone have a GOOD recipe for mayonnaise that uses olive oil? All the mayo's I see contain soybean oil which I believe is a no no on the PB. Does anyone use store bought mayo, if so which kind?

Thanks!

shadgal is offline Senior Member
    I think you might need to google it, but I'm sure there will be plenty of PBers who will have recipes. I've just looked at a youtube of Gordon f*****g Ramsay's and he uses groundnut oil, sounds suspect to me but basically I think you need to use a 'neutral tasting' oil as olive oil especially extra virgin can be overpowering, or a mixture of olive and something else, maybe coconut? Ingredients are basically egg yolks, dijon mustard, oil, salt and pepper and a dash of lemon juice.
    I hope you get more replies than mine. I did have a quick squiz through a few of my tried and trusted recipe books but only came up with aoli which is basically garlic mayonnaise.

Thanks! I came here before google to find a tried and trusted recipe :-)!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I use olive oil for my mayo. I recommend opting for a mild olive oil rather than EVOO. It's a little more processed but still way better than the alternatives.

Whatever you do, don't use whole eggs. Use ONLY the yolks. Twice I've tried using whole egg (because some say you supposedly can) and it has failed.

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    I hate olive oil mayo. I like bacon mayo or walnut oil mayo. I'll dig up my recipe, as I usually do it by feel now!

Here it is:

Bacon Mayonnaise

Makes about 1/2 cup

Ingredients

1 egg yolk

3/4 teaspoon Dijon mustard

1 teaspoon freshly squeezed lemon juiceSea salt and freshly ground pepper

1/2 cup liquid bacon fat

Method

Combine the egg yolk, mustard and lemon juice in the small bowl of a food processor or in a blender and process to mix. Season with salt and pepper.

Have the bacon fat liquid, but not hot. With the machine running, gradually the bacon fat until the mixture starts to stiffen and emulsify, about 2 minutes. Once it starts to emulsify, you can add the fat more quickly.

lil_earthmomma, can I substitute the bacon fat with anything? I don't eat bacon :-)!

Like I said, I love nut oils when I'm not making bacony mayo. Walnut oil it yummy. I've never tried avocado oil but I keep gazing longingly at it in the hfs!

Quote Originally Posted by scubasam View Post
    lil_earthmomma, can I substitute the bacon fat with anything? I don't eat bacon :-)!
    Walnut oil is yummy and neutral. I would make the bacon without the mustard, lemon juice, or vinegar and then add it a teensy bit at a time and see how you like the flavor. Everyone has different expectations in their mayo I find.

Thanks - going to try it this week.

Spinner is offline Senior Member
    I just made a batch with just pure olive oil, not EVOO, with 1 egg, dijon mustard, salt, apple cider vinegar and 1 cup of the olive oil. it does have a bit of olive flavor, but not tooooo bad. I made mayo with coconut oil and it set up HARD, too hard to really be usable, at least how I wanted to! I want to make deviled eggs and tuna salad for today, and I think it will be ok. Did come out really thick too.

Lil_em--I am soooo going to make that bacon mayo!!
    Every day is another stitch in the quilt of life.
    ~*~*~*~*~*~*~
    Re-Start date 6/23/2011
    me--Post pregnancy --mama to a beautiful baby boy--
    273.4/269.3/115
    Hubby--230/227.8/165

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast