Thread: Coconut Flour page

MJinLV is offline Senior Member

Coconut Flour

Hello, I'm new here and would love some help.

Last year I was diagnosed with allergies to all nuts and seafood. It makes it pretty tricky to now cut out all grains.

Can anyone suggest a good place to find recipes that use coconut flour? I would like to try out some new recipes for familar foods that may make my transition easier.

Thanks.
    Food should be fun--Thomas Keller

Egoldstein is offline Senior Member
    Try the tropical traditions website: http://www.tropicaltraditions.com/

There is a book by Bruce Fife that I have not read, but if you are planning to try a lot of substitutions w/ coconut flour it might be worth having

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Coconut flour pancakes are so good and easy to make. I eat it every morning.

http://www.marksdailyapple.com/coconut-flour/

You can experiment by adding powdered cocoa (my favorite), mashed bananas, mashed sweet potatoes, pumpkin, nuts, fruits, etccc.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

tarek is offline Senior Member
    I occasionally make coconut flour muffins. They're quite simple, and very good to make when you're in the mood for a slow breakfast. Here's the recipe:

3 eggs
    1/2 cup of coconut flour
    2 tablespoons of honey (preferably raw)
    2 tablespoons of melted butter or coconut oil (I prefer butter)
    1 tablespoon of coconut milk
    1/2 teaspoon of almond extract or vanilla extract
    1 mashed banana
    1 cup of blueberries

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees Fahrenheit. In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the eggs. Stir in the coconut milk, almond or vanilla extract, honey, and butter or coconut oil. If you're using raw honey, you'll have to stir it in for a bit, but it will eventually blend in with the other ingredients. Pour the coconut flour into the egg mixture and stir it in. Grab a plate and a fork and mash the banana, and then stir it into the mix. Mix in the blueberries. Pour the mixture into muffin cups or into a greased muffin pan. Bake the muffins for 20 to 30 minutes. It always takes 30 minutes when I make these, but you may need to adjust the time according to your oven. Check them around twenty minutes; if the top has browned nicely, they are more than likely done.

This recipe makes five to six muffins, depending on how much you pour into each muffin cup. If you'd like to add even more flavor, you can also add in a tablespoon of cinnamon and half a cup of crushed cashews.

Enjoy!

Beauty is offline Senior Member
    I have a lot of food sensitivities. I can eat coconut oil, coconut butter, and even coconut flakes. But for some reason I can't eat coconut flour. It bloats my belly and gives me gas. So, if you are sensitive, you should be weary of eating a ton of it the first go. Otherwise, go to town!

Thanks for the ideas. I'll go shopping today, and I think I'll try the pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by MJinLV View Post
    Thanks for the ideas. I'll go shopping today, and I think I'll try the pancakes for breakfast tomorrow.
    Get some (non-Dutch) cocoa powder! You won't regret it. And coconut milk so you can dip the pancakes in.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    No pancakes for me until later in the week. The very small Whole Foods by my house didn't have any coconut flour. I called the larger store part way across town and they said they had it. I spent 10 minutes on the baking aisle and another 5 on the gluten-free aisle, and nada. So I ordered some online. I was hankering for those pancakes, but I guess it will be a treat next weekend.