Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: No, I don't need more carbs. page

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member

No, I don't need more carbs.

Shop Now
    My glucose level was stable for about 7 years with Metformin - ~120. In the last few months, it has shot way up, >200, despite taking more Metformin. Several nice people here in MDA have suggested I have become physiologically insulin resistant and should eat lots of carbs for several days.

I had lots of fun eating 150+ grams of carbs for 3 days - potatoes, white rice, bananas, etc. The result was to push my glucose to 350+. So I ended that experiment.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

glorth2 is offline Senior Member
    How about more steak?

j3nn is offline Senior Member
    Thats a nice declaration and all, but I'm not sure I would put much stock into a 3 day experiment. The body is resilient, but 3 days of bumping up carbs is really too short to be effective or conclusive for someone who has been long term LC and diabetic. To know for sure if it is physiological IR, an A1c should be more revealing. if your a1c is also higher, you can rule out simple PIR. If you really think PIR could be the issue, I would suggest incorporating more carbs slowly. Overwhelming your body is only going to create more problems, as you experienced.
    | My (food) Blog | Follow me on Facebook | Pinterest | Twitter |

It does not take a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority, keen on setting brushfires of freedom in the minds of men. - Samuel Adams

Timthetaco Guest
    White rice was a truly terrible choice for your experiment. I'm not saying it would have necessarily worked otherwise, but don't eat white rice if you have issues with blood sugar.

If you feel like trying again, which you probably don't, eat beans, plantains, mango, sweet potato and quinoa.
    Last edited by Timthetaco; 06-16-2014 at 09:07 PM.

Hedonist2 is offline Senior Member
    Thanks all. No, not willing to experiment more. I had been trying getting a few more carbs. So far as I can see, my carbs and glucose are in a completely linear relationship.
    Ancestral Health Info - My blog about Primal and the general ancestral health movement. Site just remodeled using HTML5/CSS3 instead of Wordpress.

My MDA Friday success story - Stubborn Senior's Testimonial

KimchiNinja is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Hedonist2 View Post
    No, not willing to experiment more. I had been trying getting a few more carbs. So far as I can see, my carbs and glucose are in a completely linear relationship.
    Thumbs up for common sense.

bloodorchid is offline Senior Member
    your post made me actually wince, hedonist

i have enough diabetic relatives that i wish i could have said 'hey wait, no' before you tried it
    beautiful
    yeah you are

I used to think I was funny until I met Kathy Griffin. Im gonna have to call my mama and have her tell me how good I am. - ginger minj

sbhikes is offline Senior Member
    You're a smart guy, Hedonist2. Nobody needs a ton of carbs. A little is fine. If you are feeling good, you're good.
    Female, 5'3", 50, Starting weight: 163lbs. Current weight: 135 (more or less).
    I can squat 192.5lbs, press 75lbs and deadlift 210lbs

gdot is offline Senior Member
    People should not be giving a diabetic advice if they have no personal experience with it.

If indeed you are interested in experimenting with your ability (or not) to tolerate carbs - upping them in increments of 10 grams a day or so would be the best approach. Once your sugar stabalizes (if it does) on the increased carb dose, move up another small increment.

WeldingHank is offline Senior Member
    Primal Blueprint Expert Certification
    You might have over done it a bit, me thinks. I just recently pulled a 5.0 A1c (from a peak of 9.9), after slowly reintroducing carbohydrate(now to the tune of nearly 250 a day), and lowering fat a bit. Try to slowly add them back (20-50g at a time) in a couple weeks maybe?

edit: I'm not on metformin anymore.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast