Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Eggs... page

Big Red is offline Junior Member

Eggs...

Shop Now
    I love me some eggs, but ive been eating just the egg whites for so long for the protein. I was turned on to this by my coaches in highschool to help with my weight lifting and its a habit that stuck. The typical "Oh, the yoke is just fat and cholesterol" has stuck in my brain and i have the hardest time eating whole eggs now. In fact i wouldnt even know where to start in terms of the number of eggs to eat if i kept the yoke in.

Right now im or was, eating 6 eggs whites a day, with some bacon and a banana. I need to down grade the number of eggs. Im guessing about 3 would do the trick if it was the whole egg.

Does this sound about right?

Im looking for my breakfast to be about 400/500 calories.

ommmmaggie is offline Senior Member
    Why do you feel like you need to limit your egg intake?

The yolk contains all the nutrients of the egg, plus the all-important fat which helps your body digest the protein in the white - without the fat, the white is extremely hard for your body to digest. They come in the same package for a reason!

Stats as of 3/1/12:
    5'10" female, 38 y/o
    Currently 140 lbs., approx 25% body fat
    WEIGHT GOAL: lose a bit more body fat and tighten up the rear end...basically, I want to look great naked. Everywhere else is looking great, but my ass/hips/thighs are being a bit stubborn. TMI?
    DAILY MACRO TARGETS: Cal: 1,857. Protein: 100g (400cal). Carb: 75g (300cal). Fat: 128g (1156cal).
    EXERCISE GOAL: incorporate 2-3 strength training sessions and 1 sprint session per week.

LessofMimi is offline Senior Member
    I'm all about the 4-egg omelets. My 4 year old can clear a 3-egg omelet like it's nobody's business.
    Melissa Fritcher - 330/252/150
    http://lessofmimi.wordpress.com
    Trample the weak, hurdle the dead.

Big Red is offline Junior Member
    Its just always been a rule of thumb for what our coaches told us about "proper eating". I wasn't aware of the digestion issue of just the whites either. But i just felt like 6 a day was alot. Im not a big fish guy at all, infact if its not tuna, its usually not getting eaten, so eggs is a huge part of my diet. Just need a re-education of sorts.

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Well they're wrong and dumb. Eat the damn yolks. But I would get free-range or omega 3 enriched eggs. The plain conventional eggs are nothing but a cheap source of inflammation and poor nutrition.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

tfarny is offline Senior Member
    Three eggs usually does it for me, depending on the egg size, my hunger, what else I'm eating - but why are asking strangers how many eggs to use in your breakfast? Nobody on this board knows anything about how many eggs you like to eat or feel satisfied with. There is near-consensus that you should eat the yolks, that you should eat till full but not stuffed, that you shouldn't spare the fat, that organic / local / pastured / O3 enhanced is better if you can afford it. Beyond that, eat however many feels right.
    My own personal fave is two jumbo "Amish farm" (local, DHA enhanced) eggs w. the yolk of a third, scrambled w/ heavy cream and cracked pepper and cooked in plenty of pastured butter. Put some bacon, spinach, feta, leftover steak, yadda yadda whatever, inside till it's a meal. I weigh 195, 6'1", male. YMMV.

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    I used to eat 12 whole eggs a day...

6 egg whites have like only 10-15 grams of protein. That's miserable. Eat more, and eat more meat too.

These days I limit myself to only 2 yolks a day, not because of the fats and cholesterol, but because I'm doing a low omega 6 experiment.
    Last edited by rphlslv; 07-03-2010 at 04:26 PM.
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

Griff is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Big Red View Post
    Its just always been a rule of thumb for what our coaches told us about "proper eating". I wasn't aware of the digestion issue of just the whites either. But i just felt like 6 a day was alot. Im not a big fish guy at all, infact if its not tuna, its usually not getting eaten, so eggs is a huge part of my diet. Just need a re-education of sorts.
    Can you entertain the idea that your coaches were working off of incorrect information and thus were wrong?
    Primal eating in a nutshell: If you are hungry, eat Primal food until you are satisfied (not stuffed). Then stop. Wait until you're hungry again. Repeat.

Looking for my Cholesterol Primer? Here it is: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum...mer-(Attempt-2)

Ditch the scale!: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread33283.html

My Success Story: http://www.marksdailyapple.com/forum/thread30615.html

Stabby is offline Senior Member
    Dirty little secret about the whole starch, low fat fish, egg whites, and protein powder gig...IT KILLS YOUR LIBIDO. I have been there. Eat fat and lots of it.
    Stabbing conventional wisdom in its face.

Anyone who wants to talk nutrition should PM me!

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    Aww... y'all just reminded me I forgot to grab the extra yolks out of my mom's fridge. Dammit!

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast