Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Beef tongue? Beef tongue! (ewwwwww.....) page

say_rahhh is offline Senior Member

Beef tongue? Beef tongue! (ewwwwww.....)

Primal Fuel
    I kept hearing about how great beef tongue is so I went to the butcher and asked for one. And out came this gigantic thing. I, naively, thought that beef tongue would look like the cow tongues I've seen when a cow is alive but, apparently, that's just the tip of the iceberg. I'm totally creeped out by this thing (in case you can't tell in the picture) but I am gonna prepare it this week.

I need your best beef tongue prep/recipe ideas. Also, I live alone so I think preparing half is the way to go- does it matter if I slice it lengthwise or otherwise in order to halve it? Is there any difference from the back to the front?

Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

rphlslv is offline Senior Member
    Uhhh it stinks!
    .`.><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>
    ><((((> .`.><((((>.`.><((((>.`.><(( ((>

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    I ate beef tongue as a child (which was too long ago to recall anything specific except a general fondness) and I have one in my freezer (not sure what I'll do with it yet). Anyhow, you might poke around cooks.com (http://www.cooks.com/rec/search?q=beef+tongue) for an acceptable recipe.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Thanks, tangent. I looked at the recipes there but nothing stood out necessarily. I have a big old German cookbook and it's got more variations so I think I might lean that direction.

Still, I'm having a real hard time getting over the yuck factor. I think Monday might be the day; I have to build up the courage. =)
    Because if you didn't know, of that is life made: only of moments; Don't lose the now.
    ~Borges

Mike Opteris is offline Member

Beef Tongue? Beef Tongue! (yummmmm.....)

I cook mine like a roast with a little bit of water and some salt and pepper. Cool and peel. The good stuff is under the "skin". It can then be eaten like that or reheated. I actually pickel it with heart. A treat that my grandmother passed on to the family. Yum. I also like it sliced very thin and stacked like deli roast beef with a good coarse ground mustard. An excellent part of the cow.
    Bon appetit!
    Mike
    I wish I'd known about this sooner!

tangentrider is offline Senior Member
    Quote Originally Posted by say_rahhh View Post
    Thanks, tangent. I looked at the recipes there but nothing stood out necessarily. I have a big old German cookbook and it's got more variations so I think I might lean that direction.

Still, I'm having a real hard time getting over the yuck factor. I think Monday might be the day; I have to build up the courage. =)
    Remember, it's just a muscle, an oddly shaped one, but a muscle nonetheless. A German spin sounds darn good: do post your decision, as I might like to swipe it for my own.
    Started PB late 2008, lost 50 lbs by late 2009. Have been plateaued, but that thing may just be biting the dust: more on that later.

Mike- maybe I'm just being contrary but pickled meat has always freaked me out too..... :-O

The tongue is just a muscle. The tongue is just a muscle. The tongue is just a muscle.
    ~Borges

lil_earthmomma is offline Senior Member
    Please remember to peel. Peeling is the difference between gag and yum when it comes to cow tongue.

atomickim is offline Junior Member
    My husband makes lingua tacos w/ it. We cook in a crockpot all day w/ just a little water and some s&p. And then we peel, let it cool and pan fry w/ bacon grease and some cumin. It's really, really good.

Diana Renata is offline Senior Member
    I cook mine in the crockpot like a roast. When it's done, or near done, I take it out and slice it into 1/2-inch slices, and sear it on a hot pan. Gives the outside a nice crisp.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast